Demo Reel

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
StaceyM2022

Post by StaceyM2022 »

Hi there,

I want to create a demo reel from my LibriVox recordings. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,
Stacey
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

StaceyM2022 wrote: January 16th, 2024, 8:21 pm Hi there,

I want to create a demo reel from my LibriVox recordings. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,
Stacey
Since we make everything in the public domain there is no legal barrier to doing this. I would wonder for whom the demo is FOR. If it's IVR then maybe LibriVox isn't the best material :lol:
I would advise using a DAW that is non-destructive. Reaper in my opinion would be ideal; I would NOT make a demo reel with Audacity.
Please PM with this if you want; I have some ideas that go a bit beyond LibriVox.
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

I’ve been making demo reels for years. The source doesn’t matter. However I don’t recommend just taking a clip from an old recording. Even if it’s a book I narrated, I make a new recording for the demo to ensure the best and most current quality.

Is this for ACX?
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
StaceyM2022

Post by StaceyM2022 »

Hi lightcrystal and sjmarky,

The VO demo is for ACX, other narrating projects.

Thanks for your advice.

Stacey
marisad6

Post by marisad6 »

Thanks,
Stacey
I hope you don’t mind my jumping in here. I created a profile on ACX awhile back, but it needs help before I feel comfortable auditioning for anything.

Right now, my ACX profile includes 2 recordings of excerpts from PD works that I did before joining LibriVox. I recorded them with Audacity, but one of the previous posts suggests Audacity is not ideal for this type of recording. So I am definitely interested in doing another, better demo reel.

Also, I was wondering how best to list LibriVox projects I’ve been part of under the “credits” section, since nearly everything I’ve done so far has been a few chapters from larger collections. And is it best to include all of your LV credits, the most recent, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

The traditional advice on demo reels is to include a sample of fiction, nonfiction, dialogue and any accents you are good at. A minute or less each. Maybe six total. You are demonstrating both your narration skills as well as the quality of your recording. The software you use really does not matter. However the software you use will determine the efficiency you will have producing finished work. But you must know how to master audio for professional work, and an app like Reaper or Studio One will be much better than Audacity.

My website
My Librivox reader page
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

marisad6 wrote: January 21st, 2024, 5:34 pm

Thanks,
Stacey
I hope you don’t mind my jumping in here. I created a profile on ACX awhile back, but it needs help before I feel comfortable auditioning for anything.

Right now, my ACX profile includes 2 recordings of excerpts from PD works that I did before joining LibriVox. I recorded them with Audacity, but one of the previous posts suggests Audacity is not ideal for this type of recording. So I am definitely interested in doing another, better demo reel.

Also, I was wondering how best to list LibriVox projects I’ve been part of under the “credits” section, since nearly everything I’ve done so far has been a few chapters from larger collections. And is it best to include all of your LV credits, the most recent, etc.?

TBH, you get gigs on ACX based on your audition. No one really cares about your demo reel, credits, web site or logo. If your performance and sound quality are good and you are appropriate for the books you auditioned for, you will get gigs. If not, you won’t. Get professional feedback on your work and coaching if necessary.

My website
My Librivox reader page
marisad6

Post by marisad6 »

sjmarky wrote: January 21st, 2024, 7:03 pm

Thanks,
Stacey

TBH, you get gigs on ACX based on your audition. No one really cares about your demo reel, credits, web site or logo. If your performance and sound quality are good and you are appropriate for the books you auditioned for, you will get gigs. If not, you won’t. Get professional feedback on your work and coaching if necessary.
Thank you for your fast response & for this information. This is all extremely helpful!
marisad6

Post by marisad6 »

sjmarky wrote: January 21st, 2024, 6:16 pm The traditional advice on demo reels is to include a sample of fiction, nonfiction, dialogue and any accents you are good at. A minute or less each. Maybe six total. You are demonstrating both your narration skills as well as the quality of your recording. The software you use really does not matter. However the software you use will determine the efficiency you will have producing finished work. But you must know how to master audio for professional work, and an app like Reaper or Studio One will be much better than Audacity.
This helps a lot…thank you!
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Thanks,
Stacey

I encourage you to do at least one solo recording for LibriVox first - at least 5 or 6 hours running time before actively auditing at ACX. This will give you a much better idea of how much time is required, maintaining consistency across chapters, basic organization and file management than you get from doing odd chapters or short stories. Then you can also without guilt list it as a credit. I would not list one chapter of a book done as a volunteer; to me that screams amateur. Better off listing no credits at all. It is likely that a if a RH listens to your audition and likes it they won't even bother looking at your profile.

My website
My Librivox reader page
marisad6

Post by marisad6 »

sjmarky wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 11:55 am

Thanks,
Stacey

I encourage you to do at least one solo recording for LibriVox first - at least 5 or 6 hours running time before actively auditing at ACX. This will give you a much better idea of how much time is required, maintaining consistency across chapters, basic organization and file management than you get from doing odd chapters or short stories. Then you can also without guilt list it as a credit. I would not list one chapter of a book done as a volunteer; to me that screams amateur. Better off listing no credits at all. It is likely that a if a RH listens to your audition and likes it they won't even bother looking at your profile.
I’m glad I asked. That makes sense. Thanks again.