[SOLO]Thrilling Stories of the Ocean by Marmaduke Park - kit

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
cmhowell

Post by cmhowell »

Thrilling Stories of the Ocean, by Marmaduke Park
Authentic accounts of modern voyagers and travelers; designed for the entertainment and instruction of young people. (Summary by Marmaduke Park)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/13604

Target completion date: 2024-04-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of Thrilling Stories of the Ocean.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Thrilling Stories of the Ocean, by Marmaduke Park.
Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of Thrilling Stories of the Ocean, by Marmaduke Park.
This LibriVox recording is in the public domain."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Thrilling Stories of the Ocean, by Marmaduke Park."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: thrillingstoriesoftheocean_##_park_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. thrillingstoriesoftheocean_01_park_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Cathy :)

looks like a fun little book for a solo. I can MC this, MW will be ready soon.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

All right, your MW is in place. As this is not your first solo, I guess you know the ropes by now to fill everything in.

Do you have already a DPL in mind ? If not, we need to put a ~ in the title, to alert potential DPLers that this project is still up for grabs.

Also, as soloist you can preclaim to do your own cover, in case you wish to do that.

Sonia
cmhowell

Post by cmhowell »

Kitty wrote: January 14th, 2024, 7:08 am All right, your MW is in place. As this is not your first solo, I guess you know the ropes by now to fill everything in.

Do you have already a DPL in mind ? If not, we need to put a ~ in the title, to alert potential DPLers that this project is still up for grabs.

Also, as soloist you can preclaim to do your own cover, in case you wish to do that.

Sonia
Hi! Thanks for being the MC! I don’t have a Dpl in mind. How do I put the ~ in the title? Do I start a new project? I’ve only done 1 solo before so still a newbie and welcome any and all feedback. I’m also not wishing to do my own cover.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

cmhowell wrote: January 14th, 2024, 3:48 pmHi! Thanks for being the MC! I don’t have a Dpl in mind. How do I put the ~ in the title? Do I start a new project?
no, no ! you can edit your project title if you click on the pencil icon of the first post.

But I think I can find the time to be DPL as well here, if you wish :) so no need to wait further.
I’ve only done 1 solo before so still a newbie and welcome any and all feedback. I’m also not wishing to do my own cover.
but you have managed your MW before ? You still know how to input the titles ? I've put in a few to start you off and show you how it might look like.

Can you access the MW via the BC/Admin link ?

Just waiting for you to fill in the MW, then we can move to Going Solo

Sonia
cmhowell

Post by cmhowell »

I’d love for you to be DPL. Thank you! I’ve inputted the sections in the MW. I combined a couple of the chapters since they’re so short. I may combine a few more as I start recording. Would love your input on that as you start listening.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

cmhowell wrote: January 15th, 2024, 1:05 amI’d love for you to be DPL. Thank you! I’ve inputted the sections in the MW. I combined a couple of the chapters since they’re so short. I may combine a few more as I start recording. Would love your input on that as you start listening.
ah yes, you can combine chapters if you want of course.

That is one of the reasons I would strongly suggest to say "section" in the intro, instead of "chapter", since now you are combining chapters and it will make it less messy.

It would be good to know beforehand how many sections you have, so the section count will not change. But if you want to record them in the right order, then you won't have trouble combining them and keeping the section number correct.

I'll move to Going Solo now. I guess I can delete the last free sections ?

Sonia
cmhowell

Post by cmhowell »

Hi Sonia. Here's section 1 (10:47):
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/thrillingstoriesoftheocean_01_park_128kb.mp3

I combined the first 3 stories into this section. Let me know if this sounds OK to you or after listening you think I should do it differently. Thank you!

Cathy
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

cmhowell wrote: January 16th, 2024, 8:49 pmHi Sonia. Here's section 1 (10:47):
I combined the first 3 stories into this section. Let me know if this sounds OK to you or after listening you think I should do it differently. Thank you!
yes, since you are the soloist, you can choose how you want to combine the stories into sections. The way you did it, with the three titles in the beginning, is very good and since they are also in the MW, the listeners will know in what section to find a specific story. So I guess this is well done. I can mark the first section PL ok right away. Nice reading, very clear and lovely to listen to. :9: Thank you

Just one thing to remember: if you have a section in the MW, please also set the status to Ready for PL, then I see it in my PL to do list.

Thank you, looking forward to the next stories

Sonia
cmhowell

Post by cmhowell »

Kitty wrote: January 17th, 2024, 3:09 am
cmhowell wrote: January 16th, 2024, 8:49 pmHi Sonia. Here's section 1 (10:47):
yes, since you are the soloist, you can choose how you want to combine the stories into sections. The way you did it, with the three titles in the beginning, is very good and since they are also in the MW, the listeners will know in what section to find a specific story. So I guess this is well done. I can mark the first section PL ok right away. Nice reading, very clear and lovely to listen to. :9: Thank you

Just one thing to remember: if you have a section in the MW, please also set the status to Ready for PL, then I see it in my PL to do list.

Thank you, looking forward to the next stories

Sonia
Thank you so much! This is so helpful. I’ll change the status when I post new recordings. I’m headed out of town for a few days so won’t get the next one posted until sometime next week. Thanks again!

Cathy
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

cmhowell wrote: January 17th, 2024, 4:36 pmI’m headed out of town for a few days so won’t get the next one posted until sometime next week.
enjoy your short trip, I hope it's not work-related :)

Sonia
cmhowell

Post by cmhowell »

Hi Sonia. Here is Section 2 (14:21).
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/thrillingstoriesoftheocean_02_park_128kb.mp3

As always, I welcome any suggestions you have for improvement.

Cathy
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

cmhowell wrote: January 25th, 2024, 10:52 pmHi Sonia. Here is Section 2 (14:21).
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/thrillingstoriesoftheocean_02_park_128kb.mp3
As always, I welcome any suggestions you have for improvement.
another excellent chapter and totally PL ok, thank you. Your reading is lovely and very easy to understand and follow, I don't think I need to give any improvement tips :)

Sonia
cmhowell

Post by cmhowell »

Thank you Sonia! Here's Section 3 (12:47).
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/thrillingstoriesoftheocean_03_park_128kb.mp3

I've been struggling with seasonal allergies so let me know if it sounds too nasally. I can always re-do it.

Cathy
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

cmhowell wrote: January 30th, 2024, 11:14 pmThank you Sonia! Here's Section 3 (12:47).
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/thrillingstoriesoftheocean_03_park_128kb.mp3
I've been struggling with seasonal allergies so let me know if it sounds too nasally. I can always re-do it.
no it sounds totally ok to me, you still have a lovely voice, despite allergies and it's absolutely comprehensible.

All PL ok :thumbs: thanks

I hope there will be some more cheerful stories soon, not just ships sinking :?

All the best for a prompt recovery

Sonia