[GROUP] The True History of Pepper's Ghost -lt

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
mikepaquetteVO

Post by mikepaquetteVO »

Well dang, I really should have looked ahead on this. I've wrapped up recording section 5, but realize I can't properly do section 6. It has a huge block of French, and I've no idea how to read that without completely mangling things.

Anyone here know how to speak French, and is willing to take that section?

I did my best with the Manchester accent in Section 5, and am looking forward to having it PL'd. Will upload both that and Section 4 within the next couple of days, my apologies for the delay on this! :)
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

Thanks for reaching out. Languages hidden within readings is something that comes up quite often. I am ok with you doing the best you can with it. However, if you are uncomfortable with the reading, I can un-assign it and someone else will pick it up at some point. No worries at all. Just let me know what you would like to do and I can work with your decision.

Have a great weekend!
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
mikepaquetteVO

Post by mikepaquetteVO »

I managed to find someone who can either read it themselves for the project, OR who can record a competent version for me to mimic. Are there any issues if someone else lends their voice for a portion of that section? Do I need to separately credit them in the outro?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

mikepaquetteVO wrote: April 1st, 2024, 9:24 am I managed to find someone who can either read it themselves for the project, OR who can record a competent version for me to mimic. Are there any issues if someone else lends their voice for a portion of that section? Do I need to separately credit them in the outro?
You do not need to credit them in the outro, but we need their name to be added to the summary ("Passage in French read by...")
sweetnecromancy84

Post by sweetnecromancy84 »

I would like to read Section 8, if possible. Thank you!
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

sweetnecromancy84 wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 7:17 pm I would like to read Section 8, if possible. Thank you!
Do you mean Part 8 (Section 9)?
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
mikepaquetteVO

Post by mikepaquetteVO »

Section 4 is ready for PL, 07:10.

Still need to complete section 5 (need to re-do chunks of the accented section) and record section 6. I have a recording to work off of for my rendition of the french in section 6, but won't be able to actually do the recording until most likely next Wednesday or Thursday (going on a little eclipse trip!)
sweetnecromancy84

Post by sweetnecromancy84 »

afutterer wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 6:57 am
sweetnecromancy84 wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 7:17 pm I would like to read Section 8, if possible. Thank you!
Oh, yes, I meant Section 9! Sorry for the confusion!
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

sweetnecromancy84 wrote: April 6th, 2024, 8:24 am
afutterer wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 6:57 am
Oh, yes, I meant Section 9! Sorry for the confusion!
No worries. Thanks so much for volunteering! That means we are now fully subscribed!
Anthony

christopherboone

Post by christopherboone »

afutterer wrote: February 28th, 2024, 10:52 am
christopherboone wrote: February 28th, 2024, 10:22 am May I have section 8?

best,
chris
You've got it. Thank so much for helping out!
Hi Anthony,

My sincerest apologies, but when recording section 8, I discovered a racial slur that I'm not comfortable recording. I know the text needs to be read accurately, and after much thought, I've decided that I need to have someone else record this section for this project. Again, my apologies for taking so long to let you know after asking for the section.

best,
chris
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

christopherboone wrote: April 7th, 2024, 7:55 am
afutterer wrote: February 28th, 2024, 10:52 am
christopherboone wrote: February 28th, 2024, 10:22 am May I have section 8?

best,
chris
You've got it. Thank so much for helping out!
Hi Anthony,

My sincerest apologies, but when recording section 8, I discovered a racial slur that I'm not comfortable recording. I know the text needs to be read accurately, and after much thought, I've decided that I need to have someone else record this section for this project. Again, my apologies for taking so long to let you know after asking for the section.

best,
chris
I understand. Thank you for letting me know. I will remove your assignment.
Anthony

afutterer

Post by afutterer »

Section 8 is now available to anyone who would like it. Thanks!
Anthony

afutterer

Post by afutterer »

I have posted a note in section 8 that it contains a racial slur.
Anthony

chromiumjade

Post by chromiumjade »

Ooh! Pepper's Ghost - love this illusion. I'd like to take on section 8. I understand there is usage of a racial slur. I'm not thrilled about it but since it sounds like a one-off, not pervasive, usage then I'll do it so this book can get into the wild.
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

chromiumjade wrote: May 1st, 2024, 3:36 pm Ooh! Pepper's Ghost - love this illusion. I'd like to take on section 8. I understand there is usage of a racial slur. I'm not thrilled about it but since it sounds like a one-off, not pervasive, usage then I'll do it so this book can get into the wild.
Hello and Welcome to Librivox! Thank you so much for volunteering. I see that you have completed your 1-minute test, that is wonderful. I just have to add you to the reader database. When I do this, there are three fields to fill out.

1- Username
This one is easy. You have given it to me already!
2- Display Name
If you would like your real name or a different handle connected to your readings. Otherwise this can also be your username again. No worries.
3- Website
If you have a website that you would like viewable and reachable from your projects here at Librivox, this will allow that.

If you click on your name in the Magic Window, you will be taken to your catalog page.

If this ever needs to change or be updated you can reach out to the admin team for the revision. No worries at all.

I will hold section 8 for you for a few weeks, in case a takes a hot second for you to get back to me. Thanks!
Anthony