[COMPLETE]Bushido: The Soul of Japan by Inazo Nitobe - brrot

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I looked up pronunciation of as many words as I could or felt I needed to but some were ones for which I could not find appreciable resources. I think that I can adequately "fix" any spots which are egregious.
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

"Oh no! There goes Tokyo! Go, go Godzilla!" -- Blue Oyster Cult
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Godzilla wrote: January 20th, 2024, 2:58 pm Hello!

Here is Section 1, ready for review!

Length: 28:27

URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/bushidothesoulofjapan_01_nitobe_128kb.mp3

I skipped Section 0 for right now, so I could just plain get going on this and get used to how things work. I will be coming back to do Section 0 in a bit.

Thanks!
Gentle reminder to change last column of MW to Ready for PL. That is usually how the DPL gets notified other than just your post here which is great too.
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Oh! Thanks! Will do. . . .
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hi, Gloria!

Sorry you had to wait longer than my usual response time. It was a painting weekend. Lots of those coming up, since the estimates we got on hiring it out were astronomical. :shock:

This will be an interesting read. I love learning more about different cultures and find this fascinating. I had one comment, though - Ruskin's statement about the virtues of war and problems of peace is rather awful, eh? It also conveniently ignores the way ongoing war squelches societal prosperity (for everybody, versus that of the warmongers/suppliers) and robs all time from "enlightened" pursuits such as art, literature, scientific exploration, agricultural development, and it spreads disease like crazy. I call "poppycock" in particular on his statement that war is the foundation of all arts. :lol: I suppose if you're only speaking of martial arts, strategic art, and spy-crafting, that would be true, but not for all the other arts.

Section 1 is very nicely read and PL OK :thumbs:

Looking forward to the rest!
~Lynette * - no computer access until Friday or Saturday
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Hi Lynette,

No problem (about the wait). I always have things to do, and, as with many things, it takes as long as it takes! Glad you were able to get your painting project done!

Yes, I think this is an interesting read, too. The Japanese culture is quite interesting, I think. And so are many other cultures! Poor YouTube can be such a source of pure horse pucky, but it's also an really great source for glimpses into the way other people live (as well as many other subjects). If only many others would use it that way I think we would all have a greater appreciation for our fellow human beings! Ethnocentrism can be like a pair of blinders; it's good to stretch one's horizons!

Re: Ruskin, hmmm. Well, I have rewritten a paragraph in reply to you several times so, I think I will just say that, I understand and can agree with your point of view, but I can understand and agree with Ruskin's also. Depending on the situation, peace and understanding can reign and should, but, also depending on the situation, war, conflict, defense, etc. can reign and should as well. Life is full of yin and yang and even God engaged in destruction in order to bring the world to a new life (Noah's flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, etc.). He also would not give us warriors as well as writers, poets, artisans, etc., if He did not realize that the full circle of talents would be needed in this life. The way to temper it is much of what is under discussion in this very book. A thing which I find quite fascinating.

I've started on Section 2, but, seem to be stumbling all over the place. At any rate, I plan to "persevere" (a word my mother used a lot! LOL!) and hope to get something to you in the very near future.

Ta ta!

GLORIA
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Hello,

I finally got back to this. I just seemed to stumble on it a lot but, it wasn't quite as bad as I thought so I got through it without too much mangling, LOL. Have a listen and let me know your thoughts. I hope to have section 3 (already recorded) edited and uploaded possibly tomorrow (depending on what comes up during the day, as you know!).

Length: 18m 31s

URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/bushidothesoulofjapan_02_nitobe_128kb.mp3
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 2 is PL OK :thumbs:

Hehe! What will you do when your arm is cut off?
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Ya know, I think I'd be screamin' like a little girl!! Cripes!!

LOL!!
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Hello!

Here is Section 3, ready for review!

Length: 32m 45s

URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/bushidothesoulofjapan_03_nitobe_128kb.mp3

Now, time for a little mindless television, or maybe even a nap! Or, I might just find that my brain has switched off and I'm sitting here in a vegetative state! Oi!!
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Hello!

Here is Section 0, ready for review!

Length: 10m 30s

URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/bushidothesoulofjapan_00_nitobe_128kb.mp3

I finally cogitated enough on the poetry section to be willing to tackle this section. I think it's workable. Hopefully there are no errors!

Thanks!
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Hello!

Here is Section 4, ready for review!

Length: 26m 35s

URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/bushidothesoulofjapan_04_nitobe_128kb.mp3
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Hi Lynnette!

Here is Section 5, ready for review!

Length: 26m 40s

URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/bushidothesoulofjapan_05_nitobe_128kb.mp3
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hi, Gloria :) I've been queuing all these as you post them. Have had a string of various types of appointments the last 3 days. Today's a deep snow day, so I'm looking forward to some hot tea and good PL catch-up time today.
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Hi Lynette!

I decided you must be tied up on something, so, no problem! I have a few things to do myself, so it'll be a day or two or ? before I've got more for you.

Enjoy your tea!
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Sections 3 and 4 are both PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs: