[COMPLETE]Bushido: The Soul of Japan by Inazo Nitobe - brrot

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

This project is complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page https://librivox.org/bushido-the-soul-of-japan-by-inazo-nitobe-2/

SOLO Bushido: The Soul of Japan, by Inazō Nitobe (1862 - 1933)
Bushido: The Soul of Japan is a study of the way of the samurai. A best-seller in its day, it was read by many influential foreigners, among them US Presidents Theodore Roosevelt and John F. Kennedy, as well as Robert Baden-Powell, the founder of the Boy Scouts.

The author found in Bushido, the Way of the Warrior, the sources of the seven virtues most admired by his people: rectitude, courage, benevolence, politeness, sincerity, honor, and loyalty.

He also delved into the other indigenous traditions of Japan, such as Buddhism, Shintoism, Confucianism and the moral guidelines handed down over hundreds of years by Japan's samurai and sages. Nitobe sought similarities and contrasts by citing the shapers of European and American thought and civilization going back to the Romans, the Greek, and Biblical times. He found a close resemblance between the samurai ethos of what he called Bushido and the spirit of medieval chivalry and the ethos of ancient Greece, as observed in books such as the Iliad of Homer. (Summary taken from Wikipedia by Godzilla)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/12096

Target completion date: 2024-06-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: F5UyrE70
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitobe_Inazō (Inazō Nitobe)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushido:_The_Soul_of_Japan
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 10
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: Yes
  • Original publication date (if known): 1908
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book: history, Japan, honor, virtues, Samurai, Bushido, loyalty, courage, sincerity, warrior, dignity, feudal, rectitude, benevolence

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Bushido: The Soul of Japan. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Bushido: The Soul of Japan, by Inazō Nitobe. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Bushido: The Soul of Japan, by Inazō Nitobe. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Bushido: The Soul of Japan, by Inazō Nitobe."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: bushidothesoulofjapan_##_nitobe_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. bushidothesoulofjapan_01_nitobe_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: brownrottger

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

"Oh no! There goes Tokyo! Go, go Godzilla!" -- Blue Oyster Cult
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hello Gloria, I will set this up for you. As Soloist, you are your own Book Coordinator (BC). Since this is your first Solo, you will need to follow the instructions for first time BC login. For your convenience, here are the instructions for that excerpted from the guidelines for BCs.
Accessing the System – First Time Login

Use this Link to go the main login screen: http://librivox.org/workflow
Click on Login (for BCs & MCs)
Enter your forum username.
Click “Forgot Password” (Note: Your forum password will not work here!!)
You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. Click the link and enter a password and submit the form.
Go back to the main login screen and use the new password you entered above to log in to the system.

Here is a link for more detailed instructions: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window#Accessing_the_System_%E2%80%93_First_Time_Login
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Before I produce the MW, I noticed there is a poem and two prefaces in the beginning of the book. Are you omitting them?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's possible to combine them all as section 0 - It would be a pity to omit them I feel. Anne
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hello, Gloria - I see your tilde, and I think this would be very interesting to listen to. I'd love to DPL for you if that's still open.
~Lynette * - no computer access until Friday or Saturday
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Yes, it is still open! Thank you! I was wondering how this would all work. It's my first solo and, truth to tell, it was rather spur-of-the-moment. Hopefully I won't mangle it too much. I do find the book layout pretty odd -- there doesn't seem to be actual chapters, just subject heads (or something??) within the run of the text, so, I'm pondering how that should actually be handled. Hmmm. That's what I say! LOL!

I'm finishing up some sections for InTheDesert after which I'm going to take a much closer look at it. Any comments, suggestions, or advice would be welcome.

Thanks again!
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

You could have a section 0 for the forematter (dedication, poem, and both prefaces), and then just have each heading in its own section - so they'll be "Section 1, Bushido as an Ethical System," for example, instead of "Chapter 1."

And since it's a solo, you don't even have to figure out ahead of time if any of them will be too long for one section - you can just break them up as you go, if you encounter one that runs too long for the LV time for a given section. :)
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Hello brownrottger,

Thank you for your help in this. I will try to not be too much of a newbie but I am only an egg*!

This is rather an odd book since it doesn't really have chapters, per se, but seems to just have major headings in the stream of the writing -- not even as separate headings, but as part of a sentence. Those headings were turned into chapter titles by someone -- I'm assuming it was Gutenberg's folks, I don't know. What I thought I could do, since some of the "chapters" are short, is to combine them into sections of two "chapters" (headings) so that the stream of thought doesn't get interrupted too much by going in and out of the book between chapters (some quite short) so that those pairs would be what would then become sections. It would appear something like this:

0) Title page, poetry, preface, and Preface to the 10th edition (approx. 1,250 wds)
1) Bushido as an ethical system and Sources of Bushido (3,496 wds)
2) Rectitude or Justice and Courage, the Spirit of Daring and Bearing (2,346 wds)
3) Benevolence and Politeness (4,166 wds)
4) Veracity or Truthfulness and Honor (3,367 wds)
5) The Duty of Loyalty and Education and Training of a Samurai (3,406 wds)
6) Self-Control and The Institutions of Suicide and Redress (5,143 wds)
7) The Sword, The Soul of the Samurai and The Training and Position of Woman (4,551 wds)
8) The Influence of Bushido and Is Bushido Still Alive? (3,865)
9) The Future of Bushido (1,961 wds)

This is not how they appear on Gutenberg but it's not that hard to make the jump to the concept that the book has been broken up in the manner I describe above.

This makes for a few sections which are a bit on the long side but, I think still workable, but I would be open to what you, the more experienced, might suggest. Another problem to address is that, since the "titles" of the books are words taken from the middle of a sentence, it makes it a bit dicey on where to end a section and begin a new section, but, I think I have a plan for that. I'm going to review those areas again and firm my plan up so that I can make an interruption of the thought stream at a logical place and then segue into the next "chapter/section" without too much craziness.

That's my plan for now. Please advise any comments/questions you may have. And thanks again for your help!

*From Robert A. Heinlein's book Stranger in a Strange Land
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Godzilla wrote: January 12th, 2024, 10:18 pm Hello brownrottger,

Thank you for your help in this. I will try to not be too much of a newbie but I am only an egg*!

This is rather an odd book since it doesn't really have chapters, per se, but seems to just have major headings in the stream of the writing -- not even as separate headings, but as part of a sentence. Those headings were turned into chapter titles by someone -- I'm assuming it was Gutenberg's folks, I don't know. What I thought I could do, since some of the "chapters" are short, is to combine them into sections of two "chapters" (headings) so that the stream of thought doesn't get interrupted too much by going in and out of the book between chapters (some quite short) so that those pairs would be what would then become sections. It would appear something like this:

0) Title page, poetry, preface, and Preface to the 10th edition (approx. 1,250 wds)
1) Bushido as an ethical system and Sources of Bushido (3,496 wds)
2) Rectitude or Justice and Courage, the Spirit of Daring and Bearing (2,346 wds)
3) Benevolence and Politeness (4,166 wds)
4) Veracity or Truthfulness and Honor (3,367 wds)
5) The Duty of Loyalty and Education and Training of a Samurai (3,406 wds)
6) Self-Control and The Institutions of Suicide and Redress (5,143 wds)
7) The Sword, The Soul of the Samurai and The Training and Position of Woman (4,551 wds)
8) The Influence of Bushido and Is Bushido Still Alive? (3,865)
9) The Future of Bushido (1,961 wds)

This is not how they appear on Gutenberg but it's not that hard to make the jump to the concept that the book has been broken up in the manner I describe above.

This makes for a few sections which are a bit on the long side but, I think still workable, but I would be open to what you, the more experienced, might suggest. Another problem to address is that, since the "titles" of the books are words taken from the middle of a sentence, it makes it a bit dicey on where to end a section and begin a new section, but, I think I have a plan for that. I'm going to review those areas again and firm my plan up so that I can make an interruption of the thought stream at a logical place and then segue into the next "chapter/section" without too much craziness.

That's my plan for now. Please advise any comments/questions you may have. And thanks again for your help!

*From Robert A. Heinlein's book Stranger in a Strange Land
This plan sounds great and thanks to Lynette as well for giving direction to our fellow good "egg"! Your congregating multiple topics will, I believe, be much better for the reader (so they don't have to listen to the intro and outro overly much). I'm off to get your MW and add Lynette as DPL.
Best,
Christine
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Your MW is in place. Moving this team to Going Solo!
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Thank you!!

(Sound of nervous fingernail chewing!)
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

It's going to be great :)
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Godzilla wrote: January 13th, 2024, 12:40 pm Thank you!!

(Sound of nervous fingernail chewing!)
Never any worries. This is an awesome project and you have LOTS of support!
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

You guys are awesome! Thanks! I appreciate it!
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Hello!

Here is Section 1, ready for review!

Length: 28:27

URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/bushidothesoulofjapan_01_nitobe_128kb.mp3

I skipped Section 0 for right now, so I could just plain get going on this and get used to how things work. I will be coming back to do Section 0 in a bit.

Thanks!
GLORIA
aka Godzilla