[COMPLETE]Bushido: The Soul of Japan by Inazo Nitobe - brrot

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

And Chapter 5 and section 0 are both PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs:

oh, boy, yeah, that one story *was* pretty horrid. And, as he pointed out, looking at it from the outside, the story of Isaac is equally horrible. :lol:

I do like the way he periodically pulls in comparisons from Occidental culture for readers to relate to.
~Lynette * - no computer access until Friday or Saturday
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Hi Lynette!

Thanks for whipping those out so fast!

Yes, I, too, like the comparisons he makes to "western" references. I understand he became a Quaker. Very interesting. I had a strong interest in that group at one point in time, but the following isn't all that prevalent out here on the west coast.

I should have something more for you in a few days. In the meantime, enjoy your snow! Brrr!!

GLORIA
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

"Oh no! There goes Tokyo! Go, go Godzilla!" -- Blue Oyster Cult
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Hi Lynette!

Here is Section 6, ready for review. Warning! Some graphic harakiri content! Jus' sayin'!

Quite educational! Explains a lot of subtle things in my Japanese movies (the Musashi Myamoto series, Hidden Fortress, Seven Samaurai, etc.). Interesting!

Length: 39m 58s

URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/bushidothesoulofjapan_06_nitobe_128kb.mp3
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Hi Lynette,

Of all things! I was watching a movie on the Roku channel the other night (a Japanese movie about a very famous artist of the feudal period) when lo! and behold! the author "Bakin" was talked about extensively!! I was shocked! But there he was! And the actor they had portray him in the scene did the role all "bigger than life" and with great screen presence! I was like "oh my gosh!" I remember reading that name in the Bushido book! Shock! Anyway, I had kind of stumbled over the name when I was originally reading it in because sometimes the author was speaking from an American citizen point of view and sometimes from a Japanese citizen point of view throughout the book and I had thought to myself, now, is this a British author? Or?? There was really nothing to distinguish it as a Japanese author and I couldn't get a sense of him reading as a Japanese citizen or as an American citizen (though it's very apparent now, after having seen the movie!) so I took it to possibly be a British author, thereby reading it as a "bay-kin" pronounciation. I saw in the movie, and repeated the scene several times where the actress says his name several times, that it's actually pronounced "baw-kin"!! I thought about it for several days but I think, out of respect and for the sake of accuracy, I want to change that one sentence in Section 3 wherein the author's name appears.

I don't know if your having okayed the section moves it into a different state in the background of Librivox or if it's just in a waiting state until the book is finished. If it's in a waiting state, I'd like to replace the current Section 3 with a newly-edited Section 3 wherein the name is correctly pronounced. I have the edit placed and a file ready to upload, if that's all that has to be done, but being unsure about the inner workings of Librivox, wanted to ask first before I just uploaded it. Of course it would put it in a state of "spot PL" if I upload a new file, as you know.

The name occurs at 13m 41s.

Please advise, please and thank you!!

GLORIA
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Godzilla wrote: February 17th, 2024, 12:40 pm Hi Lynette,

Of all things! I was watching a movie on the Roku channel the other night (a Japanese movie about a very famous artist of the feudal period) when lo! and behold! the author "Bakin" was talked about extensively!! I was shocked! But there he was! And the actor they had portray him in the scene did the role all "bigger than life" and with great screen presence! I was like "oh my gosh!" I remember reading that name in the Bushido book! Shock! Anyway, I had kind of stumbled over the name when I was originally reading it in because sometimes the author was speaking from an American citizen point of view and sometimes from a Japanese citizen point of view throughout the book and I had thought to myself, now, is this a British author? Or?? There was really nothing to distinguish it as a Japanese author and I couldn't get a sense of him reading as a Japanese citizen or as an American citizen (though it's very apparent now, after having seen the movie!) so I took it to possibly be a British author, thereby reading it as a "bay-kin" pronounciation. I saw in the movie, and repeated the scene several times where the actress says his name several times, that it's actually pronounced "baw-kin"!! I thought about it for several days but I think, out of respect and for the sake of accuracy, I want to change that one sentence in Section 3 wherein the author's name appears.

I don't know if your having okayed the section moves it into a different state in the background of Librivox or if it's just in a waiting state until the book is finished. If it's in a waiting state, I'd like to replace the current Section 3 with a newly-edited Section 3 wherein the name is correctly pronounced. I have the edit placed and a file ready to upload, if that's all that has to be done, but being unsure about the inner workings of Librivox, wanted to ask first before I just uploaded it. Of course it would put it in a state of "spot PL" if I upload a new file, as you know.

Hi, I am your MC. This serendipity is Amazing! Regards the edit after PL ok. Until the project is catalogued, you can change the desigation of any Section to any of the choices in the drop down list in the right-most column of the MW. So you could change that Section 3 designation to "See PL Notes" then after you upload the edited recording, change it to "Ready for Spot PL" and post in the thread and your DPL will check what you changed.
Hope this helps,
Christine

GLORIA
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Hi Christine!

Thanks so much for letting me know "how things work". I had rather thought that the chapters must be in a kind of stasis until all of them are finished, but, I wasn't sure.

I'll upload the edited file and follow through with a note for Lynette, etc., as you describe.

Serendipitous indeed!!

Thanks!

GLORIA
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Hi Lynette,

If you look an entry or two back, you will see a lengthy explanation of why I am re-submitting Section 3. I've uploaded the amended file which is now awaiting a quick edit DPL at your ready hands and then I will be happy!

Very serendipitous how it all worked out!

Should have Section 7 here for you shortly, too.

Thanks so much!

GLORIA

Section 3, amended:

Length: 32m 46s

URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/bushidothesoulofjapan_03_nitobe_128kb.mp3
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Hi Lynette,

Here is Section 7, ready for review!

Length: 34m 23s

URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/bushidothesoulofjapan_07_nitobe_128kb.mp3
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Godzilla wrote: February 17th, 2024, 12:40 pm Hi Lynette,

GLORIA
Oh, that is cool! And I see that Christine already let you know you can change PL OK files if you need to. :) (I, too, would have chosen to fix my pronunciation)

You did a really nice job of fitting your edit in smoothly! No difference sounded when I spotted that portion. :) Section 3 is PL OK :thumbs:
6 & 7 are in my queue
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Great!! Yes, I'm glad I could still change it. Mostly because I think it's respectful, but also because I literally had an example literally right in my face, LOLOL!!

Here is Section 8, ready for review!!

Length: 31m 18s

URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/bushidothesoulofjapan_08_nitobe_128kb.mp3
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Hi Lynette!

It's done!!! Here is the last Section -- Section 9!!

Length: 15m 45s

URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/bushidothesoulofjapan_09_nitobe_128kb.mp3

This last Section was so eloquent! I wish I could speak Japanese (or any other language for that matter) as well as this man works in English!! Wow! Well, definitely an interesting piece on an interesting subject. And it helps give greater depth to my "samaurai" movies and other things I find on Roku or YouTube or wherever. I like "foreign" movies. I think it's quite interesting how other people think and live. We Americans are not the only people on the planet after all! LOL!

Thank you for your help!! Not sure what's next, but I'm thinking someone will contact me?? Hmmm. . . .
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hi, Gloria!

I hit all your sections today for you so this can go to cataloguing.

Sections 6, 7, and 8 are all PL OK :thumbs:

Section 9 is well recorded, too (you make my part easy!). It just needs its "End of Section 9" before the "End of Bushido" portion.

And I have really enjoyed listening to this for you. I'll spot this for you as soon as I see it come up instead of queueing it :)
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Hi Lynette!

Yay!! We're done!

Here is the correction for Section 9. Having never done an ending section for a book before, I am now initiated!

Length: 15m 45s

URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/bushidothesoulofjapan_09_nitobe_128kb.mp3

Thank you so much for your help!!

And thank you to the people lurking in the background!! :clap:
GLORIA
aka Godzilla

brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

LCaulkins wrote: February 19th, 2024, 7:16 pm Hi, Gloria!

I hit all your sections today for you so this can go to cataloguing.

Sections 6, 7, and 8 are all PL OK :thumbs:

Section 9 is well recorded, too (you make my part easy!). It just needs its "End of Section 9" before the "End of Bushido" portion.

And I have really enjoyed listening to this for you. I'll spot this for you as soon as I see it come up instead of queueing it :)
As soon as the last section is marked PL ok. I will proceed to catalogue. Great job guys! :9:
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Very nicely edited. :) Section 9 is PL OK! :clap:

Good addition to our holdings