[COMPLETE] Cur Deus Homo? (Why God Became Man), by Anselm of Canterbury - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Cur Deus Homo? (Why God Became Man), by Anselm of Canterbury (ca. 1033 - 1109), translated by Edward S. Prout

This project is complete! All files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/cur-deus-homo-by-anselm-of-canterbury/
Begun in England “in great tribulation of heart,” finished in the serene atmosphere and restful solitude of Schiavi, it is unquestionably, from a literary point of view, Anselm’s masterpiece, and even at the present day can be read with pleasure by those least versed in the mysteries of Catholic theology. <br><br>Cur Deus Homo? such is its title; but its scope is not, as might be inferred, the determination of the final cause of the Incarnation. Anselm seeks in this treatise to vindicate its propriety if such an expression be allowable, as the economy of redemption. Was the Incarnation derogatory to the majesty of God? What was the nature of the obstacle which the Fall opposed to the Divine forgiveness? Could not that obstacle have been removed in some other way than by the Incarnation? How, as a matter of fact, was it removed by the life, suffering, death, and resurrection of the Incarnate God? Such are the questions with which Anselm deals, working the subject out dialectically in the shape of a dialogue between himself and his friend Boso, the latter playing the part of Advocatus Diaboli against the entire providential scheme. (Summary by James Macmullen Rigg)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015026090095

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per section. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of Cur Deus Homo?, by Anselm of Canterbury, translated by Edward S. Prout. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Section#."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Cur Deus Homo?, by Anselm of Canterbury, translated by Edward S. Prout."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: curdeushomo_role_#.mp3 where # is the section number. (e.g. curdeushomo_boso_1.mp3)
For final files: curdeushomo_#_anselm_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. curdeushomo_1_anselmo_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 94% 3 left!
PL pls: DPL 43 27-28
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I am looking for one reader to play the role of Boso. It's a long part and not that easy so a somewhat experienced reader is preferred but I will take all comers. I will play Anselm.

I will edit and PL for Boso. I need a final PLer but that won't be for a while.

I can't find any more information about the translator.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Brilliant!

An opportunity to engage in conversation with Anselm is one I cannot pass up, even though I'm trying to cut down on longer projects so I can tackle some solos on my list. So, if you will have me, I would be privileged to join you in this worthy project.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

So it's essentially a duet DR?

I'll set this up. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

silverquill wrote: January 5th, 2024, 10:43 am Brilliant!

An opportunity to engage in conversation with Anselm is one I cannot pass up, even though I'm trying to cut down on longer projects so I can tackle some solos on my list. So, if you will have me, I would be privileged to join you in this worthy project.
Thanks Larry! Good to have you on board. There are no scripts for this, just page numbers. Will that work for you?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

InTheDesert wrote: January 5th, 2024, 8:59 pm
silverquill wrote: January 5th, 2024, 10:43 am Brilliant!

Thanks Larry! Good to have you on board. There are no scripts for this, just page numbers. Will that work for you?
Yes, that works just fine for me!

I've done several of these types of dialog projects. In fact I'm editing the last sections of one right now. Salvationist and I did one of Bunyans, Badman, together.

I do know that I have those sections of Rosetti to do for you, so I'll try to get to those soon.

Looking forward to working on this with you.
~ Larry
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Thankyou team!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moved directly to Readers Found. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Just opened up a new book to read, The Crucifixion by Fleming Rutledge, one of the first women ordained in the Episcopal church, and guess how she started her preface? I snippet of dialog between Boso and Anselm from this book. This will be a great experience!
~ Larry
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

silverquill wrote: January 6th, 2024, 11:30 am Just opened up a new book to read, The Crucifixion by Fleming Rutledge, one of the first women ordained in the Episcopal church, and guess how she started her preface? I snippet of dialog between Boso and Anselm from this book. This will be a great experience!
It's actually one of my favourite books. She doesn't say what you expect her to say and instead says a lot of things that you don't.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Hi Larry, when you have any of these sections, you can upload it and I'll start editing (you don't have to wait for them all to be ready). I've almost finished recording my sections so I'll have time to work on the editing. Don't forget the "read by" tag :)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

InTheDesert wrote: March 7th, 2024, 7:55 am Hi Larry, when you have any of these sections, you can upload it and I'll start editing (you don't have to wait for them all to be ready). I've almost finished recording my sections so I'll have time to work on the editing. Don't forget the "read by" tag :)
Excellent! I've cleared my reading list so I can dive into this. Almost started yesterday, but decided to take a break, but I'll be back at it today. Do you have a preferred pronunciation for Boso? What about abbreviations such as .viz, i.e.

Do you want me to PL your parts? Is someone doing PL for completed sections?
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, taking advantage of my time, here are the first two sections for Boso:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/curdeushomo_boso_1.mp3 7:36
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/curdeushomo_boso_2.mp3 14:21

Of course as soon as I set up to record, the noisy machines started up. I really shouldn't complain, because here those noise are lawn mowers and not snow blowers. 8-)

This is a bit longer that I first thought, but I will push ahead because this is my only high priority reading right now. These first two sections have been quite engrossing!

ETA: Here is the rest of Book One

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/curdeushomo_boso_3.mp3 4:16
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/curdeushomo_boso_4.mp3 7:41
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/curdeushomo_boso_5.mp3 7:27
~ Larry
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »