The Works of Robert Louis Stevenson - Swanston Edition, Vol. 14

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
sforeman

Post by sforeman »

I Looked this up and found it in the Guttenberg project. I do not want to be a book coordinator, because I do not have the experience. This is my first suggestion.
I am interested in reading it and need help getting this started, please.
Thanks
Sandy

The Project Gutenberg eBook of The Works of Robert Louis Stevenson - Swanston Edition, Vol. 14
This ebook is for the use of anyone anywhere in the United States and most other parts of the world at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included with this ebook or online at www.gutenberg.org. If you are not located in the United States, you will have to check the laws of the country where you are located before using this eBook.
Title: The Works of Robert Louis Stevenson - Swanston Edition, Vol. 14

Author: Robert Louis Stevenson

Other: Andrew Lang

Release date: December 12, 2009 [eBook #30659]
Most recently updated: January 5, 2021

Language: English

Credits: Produced by Marius Masi, Jonathan Ingram and the Online
Distributed Proofreading Team at https://www.pgdp.net
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moved from the Launch Pad to Book Suggestions.

The Launch Pad is for projects the person posting is actually starting right now. :)

Question: Are you suggesting this as a group project (where you want to read some of it, but others will also read), or a solo (where you read everything)?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
sforeman

Post by sforeman »

sforeman wrote: January 4th, 2024, 6:02 pm I Looked this up and found it in the Guttenberg project. I do not want to be a book coordinator, because I do not have the experience. This is my first suggestion.
I am interested in reading it and need help getting this started, please.
Thanks
Sandy

The Project Gutenberg eBook of The Works of Robert Louis Stevenson - Swanston Edition, Vol. 14
This ebook is for the use of anyone anywhere in the United States and most other parts of the world at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included with this ebook or online at www.gutenberg.org. If you are not located in the United States, you will have to check the laws of the country where you are located before using this eBook.
Title: The Works of Robert Louis Stevenson - Swanston Edition, Vol. 14

Author: Robert Louis Stevenson

Other: Andrew Lang

Release date: December 12, 2009 [eBook #30659]
Most recently updated: January 5, 2021

Language: English

Credits: Produced by Marius Masi, Jonathan Ingram and the Online
Distributed Proofreading Team at https://www.pgdp.net

It is a book suggestion and I would like to start it. Being a Newbie, I didn't know where to put it. Understanding that Launch Pad wasn't where it should go.
Thank you for answering quickly. I would like it to be a collaboration, but I need a "sponsor" or someone to begin it. I am not sure how to do it, so I would like someone to start it please. Thanks. Sandy
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Some of these poems have been recorded already, like Songs of Travel and Children's Garden of Verse.
To record all these poems would be a massive project, not sure anyone would want to take that on. It would involve recording 200+ poems some of which like the Ballads could be 30+ minutes long.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I guess that's why it's suggested as a group project. :lol:
sforeman

Post by sforeman »

TriciaG wrote: January 5th, 2024, 5:34 am I guess that's why it's suggested as a group project. :lol:
* I found a book called Songs of Travel but not this one, and there is only 100.

I guess I could just do exerpts. How long is it proper to wait to see if someone would take it on?

Thank you
Sandy
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Suggestions posted could take a few days to years to be adopted. It all depends on if it hits the intersection between someone's interest and ability/time. (Someone may think it's a great idea for a project, but they have a bunch of other stuff going on and can't take it on for a while. Or they may think they're not experienced enough running group projects to do a large one like this just yet.)

If you want to do just excerpts from it, you could do that as a solo project rather than waiting on a group project. The solo should contain enough to be "worth your while" and the time/energy of the MCs and DPLs (it'd be silly to do a 10-minute solo), but you can make it short enough to not be a formidable task. I'd recommend around 2-4 hours of finished recording, which is roughly about 20,000-40,000 words.

Here's a thread talking about what to do to start a solo recording: viewtopic.php?t=13513
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Just as a point of reference as to what has been recorded in this book and what hasn't:
Child's Garden of Verses (which includes A Child Alone, Garden Days and Envoys) has been recorded 4 times.

Underwoods (including Book I: In English and Book II: In Scot) is not recorded and is 12,516 words, which would be a nice short Solo project maybe. (end up being probably about 1.5 hours long since poems tend to be read slower than regular text).

Ballads (from THE SONG OF RAHÉRO to CHRISTMAS AT SEA including the notes on them) is also unrecorded and is 15,900 words, also a solid first Solo project.

Songs of Travel has been recorded.

The Additional Poems section also appears to be unrecorded. Altogether the "Additional Poems" section is only 2700 words which I think would be very short for a solo project. But you could do Underwoods or Ballads and then add the Additional Poems section to it to round them out to around 2 hours (so Underwoods and Additional Poems or Ballads and Additional Poems). Or you could do all three of them.

Or do whatever if you don't care whether they've been recorded before! :D
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

I have considered recording Underwoods but the problem is that the "In Scot" poems are written in Scottish dialect which would be difficult for a non-Scot to read properly.
I have attempted short poems in Scottish dialect (eg Burns) but these are longer and would be a real challenge :(
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose