[OPEN][Biography/Music]My Musical Life by Walter Damrosch - kit

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

I just wanted to thank you for proof listening so promptly, it is always good to know whether everything is ok or whether any corrections need to be made. Much appreciated!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lkirk wrote: March 12th, 2024, 6:06 amI just wanted to thank you for proof listening so promptly, it is always good to know whether everything is ok or whether any corrections need to be made. Much appreciated!
thank you, yes I try not to let people wait too long. An exception is when I'm on a holiday trip, then I can't find the time to PL so everything is put on hold. :lol:

Sonia
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Section 21 is ready for proof listening. Thank you.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_21_damrosch_128kb.mp3

27:28
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lkirk wrote: March 14th, 2024, 2:11 pmSection 21 is ready for proof listening. Thank you.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_21_damrosch_128kb.mp3
sorry for the delay, the weekend was quite stressful. But I listened to this section now and it was perfectly narrated again :thumbs: totally PL ok. Checker flags it with a bit of background noise again, but to my ears it's not too distracting, so no need to reupload it.

Thank you

Sonia
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

That's quite all right, I'm sorry that you had such a stressful weekend. I'm glad everything was OK with Section 21 and for 22 I'll be sure to run the noise reduction at least twice rather than once to see whether that helps with background noise. I don't know whether multiple runs make a difference but worth a try.
Thank you.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lkirk wrote: March 18th, 2024, 5:52 amfor 22 I'll be sure to run the noise reduction at least twice rather than once to see whether that helps with background noise. I don't know whether multiple runs make a difference but worth a try.
it depends what numbers you put in. Too high numbers are not good as they may distort the audio, especially if run twice. Often it's better to put in a smaller number and run it twice than once with a more aggressive number. You have to see what works best for your noise level.

Sonia
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

I checked the settings I have used for noise reduction and they are 12 for noise reduction and 6 for sensitivity and frequency. Do you think these are reasonable and, if not, are there settings that you generally use? These seemed moderate from what I have read in the instructions but maybe the sensitivity should be increased. I don't really hear the background noise that you hear so I'm not sure that just experimenting with increasing the settings will necessarily have good results. Any recommendations?
Thank you.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lkirk wrote: March 18th, 2024, 10:39 amI checked the settings I have used for noise reduction and they are 12 for noise reduction and 6 for sensitivity and frequency. Do you think these are reasonable and, if not, are there settings that you generally use? These seemed moderate from what I have read in the instructions but maybe the sensitivity should be increased. I don't really hear the background noise that you hear so I'm not sure that just experimenting with increasing the settings will necessarily have good results. Any recommendations?
I also have 12 and 6, though I have 0 in the frequency smoothing. I usually run the reduction twice and that works well for me, but I don't have much noise to begin with. Also, I don't know whether you have to amplify your voice in the post-processing. If so, cleaning noise before amplifying might be a good idea, because otherwise the noise will get amplified as well.

Sonia
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Thank you for this information and I'm glad you mentioned the order of amplification and noise reduction because I occasionally use the amplify after the noise reduction and I was worried that might be part of the problem but apparently that is the correct order. I will leave the settings as they are and run the noise reduction twice which seemed to work adequately once before when you mentioned background noise that needed to be corrected. I have used these same settings for all the recordings and I don't think anyone has mentioned background noise except for once when the listener heard banging as though from an upstairs neighbor and that apparently was corrected by running it through noise reduction again at these settings. Hope there won't be any problems with 22!
Jonatoner

Post by Jonatoner »

Hi Sonia

Here's Section 12.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/section_12_chapter_11_part1.mp3
35'13"

Hope this one passes muster.
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Section 22 is ready for proof listening.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_22_damrosch_128kb.mp3

33:00

Thank you.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jonatoner wrote: March 19th, 2024, 2:08 pmHere's Section 12.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/section_12_chapter_11_part1.mp3
thank you, a very interesting chapter again. The scene in the post office was very funny :lol:

A few small corrections still needed:

> at 0:24: "Chapter 11. Artists. Part 1" – you forgot the title "Artists" here

> at 30:57: "M. Paderewski" – this "M." is not his initial (he's called Ignace) but stands as abbreviation for "Monsieur" here

> at 35:05: "End of section 12" – you say "chapter 11 part 1", it's less confusing to close with the section number to stay consistent

> at the end: you have 6 seconds of silence instead of the standard 5

> careful with the filename, please always use the example highlighted in blue in the first post, only changing the ## with the correct section number, in this case: mymusicallife_12_damrosch_128kb

thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lkirk wrote: March 19th, 2024, 3:00 pmSection 22 is ready for proof listening.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_22_damrosch_128kb.mp3
thank you again, wonderfully read and totally PL ok. Yes, Checker still flags the noise, but I don't hear anything disturbing, so I guess the programme is just a bit picky :lol: No need to reupload.

Sonia
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Thank you very much, I'm glad everything was OK. I did run the noise reduction twice so it is a mystery why the checker keeps flagging it but good to know you didn't hear anything disturbing and that it does not need to be uploaded again. The checker must be very picky!

We have only four unassigned sections left so I will volunteer to do sections 10 and 11 and hope we find some volunteers for the remaining two sections. Thanks.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lkirk wrote: March 20th, 2024, 6:03 amWe have only four unassigned sections left so I will volunteer to do sections 10 and 11 and hope we find some volunteers for the remaining two sections.
thank you, I'll reserve them for you.

Sonia