[FULL][Biography/Music]My Musical Life by Walter Damrosch - kit

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
bergmannw

Post by bergmannw »

Kitty wrote: February 19th, 2024, 6:36 am
bergmannw wrote: February 11th, 2024, 6:23 pmSection 5 is ready for PL. https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_05_damrosch_128kb.mp3 30:40

According to the sources I've checked, the clarinetist mentioned on page 72, Muhlfeld, is spelled with an umlaut on the "u." So I pronounced it that way, even though Damrosch (or his editor or his proofreader) left the umlaut off.
I agree, the name was probably originally with umlaut.

This chapter taught me to extremely like Liszt and dislike Wagner :lol: I think Damrosch secretely also felt that way, the way he portrayed them both.

Wonderfully narrated, I enjoyed it a lot. Only a few small notes for your consideration:

> at 0:25: actually for the title proper you could use "chapter 5" instead of "section" at this point here
> from 26:44 to 26:47: between "in this book" and "it was not" – the pause of over 3 seconds feels a bit too long, I would cut to under 2 at least
> from 28:03 to 28:05: between "into the beyond" and "the following winter" – also here I would cut a bit more silence, so as not to exceed 2 seconds
> at 30:10: "altogether, I cannot understand why" – you say "although"
> from 30:30 to 30:33: between "of this oratorio" and "end of section 5" – cutting the lengthy silence here as well

thanks

Sonia
Thank you for catching those, Sonia. Here is the corrected version. Let me know if anything else needs fixing.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_05_damrosch_128kb.mp3
Robbyungy

Post by Robbyungy »

Hi! I would love to claim section 2 - II. Bayreuth in 1876. My Doll's Theatre
-if it's still available!

thanks,

Robyn
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Robbyungy wrote: February 20th, 2024, 1:03 pmHi! I would love to claim section 2 - II. Bayreuth in 1876. My Doll's Theatre
-if it's still available!
thanks,
Robyn
hello Robyn and welcome to our forum and specifically this project :) I see you already passed your test :thumbs: so you are all set to start for good.

Section 2 is reserved for you now and here is your personal reader page, where all your projects will be listed: https://librivox.org/reader/19308 If you want to run by another reader name (real name, pseudonym), let me know and I can still change that.

Since this is your first section, please read carefully through the first post, you will find all the info on the text to use, the exact intro wording and how to read the title and outro, and how to correctly name your finished file when uploading.

If there are still questions, don't hesitate to ask. Thank you for your interest in this project and have fun :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lkirk wrote: February 20th, 2024, 8:48 amThank you, I see what I did in terms of the alphabetical arrangement of names. I had printed out the text and two short columns were at the bottom of one page and the longer columns on the next and I just read from the shorter columns without thinking of the alphabetical listing. It has now been corrected. I was a bit puzzled about the background noise because I didn't really hear it and I always run the noise reduction before submitting the section but I just ran it again and I hope that it is better. Thanks.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_17_damrosch_128kb.mp3
yes it is much better now. Especially at the end there was a lot of noise, maybe the checker flagged it for that. Also you do not leave much silent space between your sentences, this can all work towards a bias in noise. :hmm: In any case, it sounds good to me now :) And the list is correct as well. PL ok now, thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

bergmannw wrote: February 20th, 2024, 12:56 pmThank you for catching those, Sonia. Here is the corrected version. Let me know if anything else needs fixing.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_05_damrosch_128kb.mp3
all sounds great now, thank you so much. PL ok :)

Sonia
bergmannw

Post by bergmannw »

I'd like to take section 3 next: Founding of the Symphony and Oratorio Societies of New York
--Warren B
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

bergmannw wrote: February 21st, 2024, 9:32 amI'd like to take section 3 next: Founding of the Symphony and Oratorio Societies of New York
you got it, thanks

Sonia
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

May I have section 9?
~Traveling May 20-29. I will catch up upon my return for any PLs, etc.~

Cheers, Claire
I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers
Great Events in North & South America
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Cbteddy wrote: February 21st, 2024, 9:49 amMay I have section 9?
of course you may, thank you Claire 8-)

Sonia
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Thank you, I'm glad section 17 sounded better and I will try to leave more space between sentences in case too little space affects the noise issue. I would also like to volunteer for sections 18, 19, and 20.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lkirk wrote: February 21st, 2024, 11:14 amThank you, I'm glad section 17 sounded better and I will try to leave more space between sentences in case too little space affects the noise issue.
yes I'm not sure this is the reason, I only noticed, compared to other readers, there is not much silence between your sentences, so maybe the "noise" is also calculated on those breathing spaces. One could try. That doesn't mean you need to make them excessively long, only a second more here or there, when there is a paragraph change or something. Nothing that would exceed 1.5 or 2 seconds. One could try if it makes a difference.
I would also like to volunteer for sections 18, 19, and 20.
thanks !!! you got them

Sonia
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello Sonia! Here is section 9 (20:36). Quite interesting! I bet that old school road trip was lots of fun!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_09_damrosch_128kb.mp3
~Traveling May 20-29. I will catch up upon my return for any PLs, etc.~

Cheers, Claire
I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers
Great Events in North & South America
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Cbteddy wrote: February 25th, 2024, 9:35 amHello Sonia! Here is section 9 (20:36). Quite interesting! I bet that old school road trip was lots of fun!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_09_damrosch_128kb.mp3
I already did two car trips through Scotland and I remember I enjoyed it very much :9:

An excellent chapter, and interesting this is how he met his future wife. Funny that she forbade him to mention her name, and he does it nevertheless :mrgreen:

Just one small edit:

> at 15:17: missed part (underlined part): His power of abstraction from his surroundings was remarkable. He enjoyed working in the room in which his family were talking, laughing, and disputing on all manner of subjects

thanks

Sonia
bergmannw

Post by bergmannw »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

bergmannw wrote: February 26th, 2024, 3:30 pmHere is section 3, ready for PL.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_03_damrosch_128kb.mp3 10:54
thank you Warren, another interesting bit into his life, yes, beginnings are always hard, especially with such an antagonist as Thomas :shock:

a few small edits needed:

> at 1:50: "founded in Boston by Major Higginson" – you say "colonel"
> from 10:45 to 10:47: between "one of the orchestra" and "end of" – maybe cut the long silence a little bit here
> at 10:47: "end of section 3" – you say "chapter"

thanks

Sonia