[COMPLETE] The House At Pooh Corner by A. A. Milne (version 3)

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RVPMatt123

Post by RVPMatt123 »

You've got a real treat today, guys!

Not only have I updated Chapter 4 to be a tad louder, but I've also recorded and uploaded Chapter 5 AND Chapter 6! All are ready for PL now! :D
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

RVPMatt123 wrote: March 17th, 2024, 2:29 pm You've got a real treat today, guys!

Not only have I updated Chapter 4 to be a tad louder, but I've also recorded and uploaded Chapter 5 AND Chapter 6! All are ready for PL now! :D
Lucky me!

Chapter 4 is now PL OK. I haven't listened to Chapters 5 and 6 yet, but I did run them through Checker, and notice that they're both too low in volume too (83.8 and 85, respectively). I think you need to increase your base volume settings slightly before recording more chapters.

Hold off on fixing them until I've had a chance to listen (likely later today) and see if there's anything else.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
RVPMatt123

Post by RVPMatt123 »

Sheesh, really? Man, I need to pay more attention to my settings. Let me know once you've checked it again and I'll see what I can do!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

RVPMatt123 wrote: March 17th, 2024, 3:44 pm Sheesh, really? Man, I need to pay more attention to my settings. Let me know once you've checked it again and I'll see what I can do!
Not a big deal. I noticed today that Audacity had shifted my input gain downwards without my intervention (at least, not any conscious intervention). I just happened to notice that my waveform seemed smaller than usual when I started recording, so I decided to check before continuing. It happens. Just don't trust your computer/software not to go off on its own little adventures from time to time. :lol:
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
RVPMatt123

Post by RVPMatt123 »

Winnifred wrote: March 17th, 2024, 2:42 pm
RVPMatt123 wrote: March 17th, 2024, 2:29 pm You've got a real treat today, guys!

Lucky me!

Chapter 4 is now PL OK. I haven't listened to Chapters 5 and 6 yet, but I did run them through Checker, and notice that they're both too low in volume too (83.8 and 85, respectively). I think you need to increase your base volume settings slightly before recording more chapters.

Hold off on fixing them until I've had a chance to listen (likely later today) and see if there's anything else.

Thanks,
So have you managed to listen to the audio again yet or shall I boost the audio anyway? I'm also looking to get the next two chapters out of the way tonight as well
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Sorry, not yet. I hope to do it this afternoon.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
RVPMatt123

Post by RVPMatt123 »

No worries! In the meantime, chapters 7 and 8 will be recorded very shortly
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Chapters 5 and 6 are both ok. They just need amplifying and re-upload.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
RVPMatt123

Post by RVPMatt123 »

As promised, chapters 7 and 8 are uploaded and ready for PL, as well as the updated 5 and 6 audio!

I adjusted the gain on my mic very slightly for the new chapters, so there shan't be a problem this time
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

RVPMatt123 wrote: March 18th, 2024, 3:47 pm As promised, chapters 7 and 8 are uploaded and ready for PL, as well as the updated 5 and 6 audio!

I adjusted the gain on my mic very slightly for the new chapters, so there shan't be a problem this time
Volume is good on Chapters 6 and 7, but Chapter 5 is still only at 85.3 and Chapter 8 is 85.9. I think you need to adjust the gain just a tidge more, and you'll need to amplify 5 and 8. (Have you downloaded the Checker? That would allow you to test these for yourself before uploading.)

If you're using Audacity, there's an easy way to get the volume perfect: Effect > Loudness Normalization, set to -19LUFS and Perceived Loudness. That should boost it to 89-90 with one click.

I shall listen to 7 and 8 now. Having a Forest-y sort of day here!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
RVPMatt123

Post by RVPMatt123 »

I'll see what I can do with that tomorrow, thanks for letting me know.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

One change for Chapter 7: at 11:36, I hear “So he trotted back; and the first thing Kanga said when he saw him was…” But of course that should be “… the first thing Kanga said when she saw him was…”

Chapter 8 is good, except for the volume. It needs to be boosted from 85.9 dB.

I always loved reading this chapter to my son, because no matter how often he heard it, he always went into gales of laughter when I got to "In a corner of the room, the table-cloth began to ... wriggle." He found this to be just hilarious.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
RVPMatt123

Post by RVPMatt123 »

Updates made to chapters 5, 7 and 8 and they're now ready for re-re-PL!

Sorry it's gone on so long, I've never had this much problems with my volume before
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

RVPMatt123 wrote: March 19th, 2024, 10:15 am Updates made to chapters 5, 7 and 8 and they're now ready for re-re-PL!

Sorry it's gone on so long, I've never had this much problems with my volume before
Oh, dear. 5 and 8 are PL OK, but 7 has now dropped in volume to 85.6 dB... It's the weirdest thing! That one was fine, and then making the one correction changed the volume. The correction is fine, by the way.

Almost there...

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
RVPMatt123

Post by RVPMatt123 »

Excuse me while I careen right into a brick wall 🙃

JK, all good! I'll sort that tomorrow morning