[COMPLETE][SOLO]Orlando: A Biography by Virginia Woolf - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Orlando: A Biography, by Virginia Woolf (1882 - 1941)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/orlando-a-biography-version-2-by-virginia-woolf/
Virginia Woolf's groundbreaking satire of British culture, customs, literature, philosophy, and politics from the Elizabethan era to the author's present-day 1928, as experienced by her famously long-lived and genderfluid poet protagonist. (Summary by Nicole J. LeBoeuf)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/orlandobiography0000virg/page/n9/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2024-06-20

Prooflistening level: Word Perfect
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of Orlando: A Biography.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Orlando: A Biography, by Virginia Woolf.
Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of Orlando: A Biography, by Virginia Woolf.
This LibriVox recording is in the public domain."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Orlando: A Biography, by Virginia Woolf."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: orlando_##_woolf_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. orlando_01_woolf_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by NicoleJLeBoeuf on January 2nd, 2024, 12:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nicole J. LeBoeuf. It rhymes with "I write stuff."
Recently completed: Orlando: A Biography (Virginia Woolf)
Say hi on Mastodon!
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Text linked above is the 1928 edition on Internet Archive, which is still on limited preview; I post in hope that by the end of the day it will have flipped over. As of now, 8:00 AM U.S. Mountain Time, it hasn't become fully accessible there or on Hathi Trust, nor has it shown up on PG; but it looks like I'm not the only one waiting for newly-PD works to become available, so here we go.

I've got an ebook edition checked out from my library I can use to figure out how to divide the chapters into sections for the MW. [Edit: Wait, no, it appears I can "use my free account and gain access to all pages" on IA's edition, probably better do that if I want to get a head start on setting up the sections.]

Anyway, that's about all I can do for now [Edit: and probably more than it was wise to do, I know, but temptation is strong and I am weak!] - see y'all back here when IA flips the switch. Happy Public Domain Day and Happy New Year, everyone!
Last edited by NicoleJLeBoeuf on January 1st, 2024, 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Say hi on Mastodon!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Reporting for DPL duty!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Scarbo wrote: January 1st, 2024, 8:28 am Reporting for DPL duty!
Yay! Thank you!
Say hi on Mastodon!
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Poking around, I have found a copy of the 1928 text at Faded Pages, here:

https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20141209

If Internet Archive continues to lag in switching the book's status, I'll go with that.
Say hi on Mastodon!
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Got the memo that the Faded Page copy is not the 1928 edition (whoops) but also got the go-ahead to start work with the IA edition, linked above, and not wait for it to switch from Limited Preview to Full Access. Am roughing out the section breaks now.
Say hi on Mastodon!
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Got the text all divvied up into sections, average length 2700-ish words. Shortest: 2374; longest: 3657. Edited the top post to reflect that there are 29 of them, starting with 0 for the Preface.

All we need now is an MC and a magic window!

I'll start getting a few recordings in the can while we wait. :D
Say hi on Mastodon!
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Hot damn! Internet Archive has flipped the switch at last. No need to borrow the text anymore - it's full access.

In recording Section 0 (Dedication and Preface) I was surprised and delighted to find among V.W.'s acknowledgements a name familiar to both yourself and me, Miss Hope Mirrlees. (Also Mr. and Mrs. T. S. Eliot. Didn't know there was a connection there. Woolf does as much literary elbow-rubbing as Orlando him/herself!)
Say hi on Mastodon!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Nicole and Sarah :) how about I complete our previous team ?

MW will be up soon. I see the archive text is finally officially PD.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MW ready to be filled in. I changed the intro wording to "section", as you mentioned you would need to split the chapters. Though looking at them, do you think they will exceed 74 minutes ? If not, you can keep them in one section.

Moving to Going Solo soon...

Sonia
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

What a coincidence! Woolf most likely didn't hang out with Gertrude Atherton though. :lol:

I'm looking forward to this!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Sonia! Welcome! I love our little dream team, and I'm so excited to be able to get started for real.

(And it's super nice that IA finally flipped the switch on our text. It was public domain as of Jan 1, regardless of how long IA took getting around to making it full access, but it's sure convenient not to have to perform hourly borrows. Still, their delay prompted me to make an account so that I could borrow it, so now I can make bookmarks where each section begins with my intro/outro notes pasted in.)

About sections and chapters: Last night I recorded what I've been calling Section 1, which was 2,789 words long; it came to just over 21 minutes. Assuming I read at a more or less constant pace, that would put whole chapters around the following lengths:

Chapter 1 (13,197 words): 100 minutes
Chapter 2 (13,599 words): 103 minutes
Chapter 3 (8,104 words): 62 minutes
Chapter 4 (18,363 words): 140 minutes
Chapter 5 (8,704 words): 65 minutes
Chapter 6 (16,467 words): 124 minutes

So while chapters 3 and 5 would come in under the 74 minute max, chapters 1, 2, and 6 would need to be split in half, and chapter 4 in either half or thirds.

Would that be preferable to making Chapters 1-6 into 28 sections of 20 to 25 minutes each? (Leaving aside the preface, of course, which is short.) I'm happy to do whichever. It's easy for me to re-jigger the splits and add to last night's recording before I upload it.
Say hi on Mastodon!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NicoleJLeBoeuf wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 12:23 pmSo while chapters 3 and 5 would come in under the 74 minute max, chapters 1, 2, and 6 would need to be split in half, and chapter 4 in either half or thirds.

Would that be preferable to making Chapters 1-6 into 28 sections of 20 to 25 minutes each? (Leaving aside the preface, of course, which is short.) I'm happy to do whichever. It's easy for me to re-jigger the splits and add to last night's recording before I upload it.
first of all: as BC and soloist reader, you can decide how you want those sections split and how long they should be.

Since you ask me, my personal opinion, and the way I do it in my own solos is: if I can keep an entire chapter in one section, I don't split. There was a reason why the author put all this text in one single chapter. ;) Of course, if it runs over 74 minutes, I need to split somewhere evenly in the middle, where a natural textual or topical break occurs.

But that is my own procedure...as I said, you can do with your solo however you feel is best :)

And yes, since at least some of them need to be split, we should go with "section" rather than "chapter". The chapter title in the second half of the disclaimer then can be: "Chapter 4 Part 1" for example.

Sonia

Oh and time to move to Going Solo :)
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Kitty wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 12:28 pm first of all: as BC and soloist reader, you can decide how you want those sections split and how long they should be.
Well, yes, but I'm still a relative newbie at this, so I welcome advice/suggestions from those with more experience. Thank you for sharing yours!
Since you ask me, my personal opinion, and the way I do it in my own solos is: if I can keep an entire chapter in one section, I don't split. There was a reason why the author put all this text in one single chapter. ;) Of course, if it runs over 74 minutes, I need to split somewhere evenly in the middle, where a natural textual or topical break occurs.
Let's try that, then! I'll rework the sections, insert their data into the MW, and upload the resulting 50-ish minute Section 1: Chapter 1, Part 1 tonight or tomorrow.
And yes, since at least some of them need to be split, we should go with "section" rather than "chapter". The chapter title in the second half of the disclaimer then can be: "Chapter 5 Part 1" for example.
Perfect, and exactly what I was thinking. Thanks again!
Oh and time to move to Going Solo :)
Aw, this project's growing up!
Say hi on Mastodon!
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Section 0 is ready for PL:

Section 0: Dedication and Preface
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/orlando_00_woolf_128kb.mp3
5:47

(I notice also E. M. Forster in that list of names... Such illustrious company!)
Say hi on Mastodon!