[COMPLETE][SOLO]Orlando: A Biography by Virginia Woolf - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

MW filled in. Empty sections 12-24 may be deleted. Thank you!
Nicole J. LeBoeuf. It rhymes with "I write stuff."
Recently completed: Orlando: A Biography (Virginia Woolf)
Say hi on Mastodon!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

I have just one note for section 0: at 1:35, "I have had the advantage," you say "I have the advantage" (p. vii).

I find it odd that Woolf doesn't seem to be concerned about whether many of the married women she lists have a name of their own and not just their husband's. Oh well, at least there's "Mr. Ottoline Morrell"!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Section 0 correction is up:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/orlando_00_woolf_128kb.mp3
5:48

Mr. & Mrs. T. S. Eliot... Viscountess Cecil... yeah. But I didn't catch Mr. & Lady Ottoline Morrell as an exception, well spotted!

Honestly, I've been surprised at how hard that particular battle is to fight nearly 100 years after Woolf penned that preface. It took some three or more years of my sending emails and leaving phone messages with my high school alumni liaison to get them to stop addressing mail to "Mr. & Mrs. John W. LeBoeuf-Little". (I suppose I should be grateful they at least recognized the hyphenate!) One is tempted to write it off as a peculiarity of a school in the U.S. South, however liberal, but I'm cynical enough to think the practice continues all over.
Say hi on Mastodon!
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Say hi on Mastodon!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NicoleJLeBoeuf wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 1:50 pmMW filled in. Empty sections 12-24 may be deleted. Thank you!
ok, deleting...

Sonia
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Section 0 is PL OK!

PLing for section 1 to follow tomorrow.

Ottoline Morrell's name stuck out to me because she was also a friend of D.H. Lawrence's. Yeah, it boggles the mind that "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith" is still happening in this day and age!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

No hurry, I know these are going to be longer sections than our previous two projects together.

Also, you've got your work cut out for you with the Ford, the Chambers, and Lady Chatterly's Lover (eee! So excited for that one!). I don't know how you juggle all these projects, but I salute you!
Say hi on Mastodon!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Thanks for your patience! I have just a few notes for section 1:

- At 6:47, "Vice, Crime, Misery," you say "Vice, Crime, and Misery" (p. 16)
- At 34:58, "not in quest of 'reality' that he left them," I hear "not in a quest of 'reality' that he left them" (p. 31)
- At 48:12, "She was not a handsbreadth off," I hear "She was not a handsbreath off" (p. 38)

The Ford is in the home stretch, at least! And I just couldn't resist launching Lady Chatterley as soon as it was unlocked!

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Section 1 corrections are up:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/orlando_01_woolf_128kb.mp3
48:59

Honestly, I think I've always pronounced "breadth" indistinguishably from "breath". I'm not sure how successful my correction was, but I'm always happy to give it another try.

Thank you for your patience too! I hope to find time to finish Section 2 for Friday evening, Tuesday at the outside.
Say hi on Mastodon!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Section 1 is PL OK!

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Say hi on Mastodon!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

I have just a few notes for section 2:

- At 24:09, "said she would go that night, and called upon her Gods to destroy her," you say "said she would go that night, and called upon the Gods to destroy her" (p. 52)
- At 33:29, "which was as if torn from the depths of his heart. The frenzy of the Moor seemed to him his own frenzy, and when the Moor..." could you include the phrase "of his heart. The frenzy of the Moor seemed to him his own frenzy"? (p. 57)
- At 39:37, "a voice full of horror and alarm which raised every hair of anguish in Orlando's soul," I hear "a voice full of horror and alarm which raised every hair of anguish on Orlando's soul" (p. 60)

Orlando could turn out to be as vocabulary-enriching as Lud-in-the-Mist if Woolf keeps dropping gems like "orgulous"! :lol:

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Section 2 corrections are up!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/orlando_02_woolf_128kb.mp3
48:02

Section 3 either later tonight or tomorrow night...
Say hi on Mastodon!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

just a small note: once a section is PL ok, could you please remove everything from the notes-section, except the length of the file ? All the rest I don't need at the cataloguing stage.

thanks

Sonia
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Kitty wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 12:46 am just a small note: once a section is PL ok, could you please remove everything from the notes-section, except the length of the file ? All the rest I don't need at the cataloguing stage.
Will do - thanks!
Say hi on Mastodon!