[COMPLETE][SOLO]Orlando: A Biography by Virginia Woolf - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

NicoleJLeBoeuf wrote: January 21st, 2024, 9:49 pm Section 2 corrections are up!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/orlando_02_woolf_128kb.mp3
48:02

Section 3 either later tonight or tomorrow night...
Section 2 is PL OK! I've had a lot of PLing come in lately, so it might not be until Thursday that I can give the next section a listen.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Section 3 is up!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/orlando_03_woolf_128kb.mp3
48:25

Thursday's plenty soon enough - I most likely wouldn't be able to get to corrections or the next section until the weekend. Thank you!
Nicole J. LeBoeuf. It rhymes with "I write stuff."
Recently completed: Orlando: A Biography (Virginia Woolf)
Say hi on Mastodon!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Thanks for your patience! I have just a few notes for section 3:

- At 1:03, "so that there is no ignoring it," you say "so there is no ignoring it" (p. 65)
- At 21:55, "One he had had printed by John Ball of the Feathers and Coronet opposite St. Paul's Cross, Cheapside," you say "One he had printed by John Ball of the Feathers and Coronet opposite St. Paul's Cross, Cheapside" (p. 77)
- At 24:31, "Memory is the seamstress," you say "Memory is that seamstress" (p. 78)
- At 37:53, "to scramble than to ride," you say "to scramble rather than to ride" (p. 85)
- At 46:07, "(Orlando could have wished him a better accent.)" I hear "(Orlando would have wished him a better accent.) (p. 90)
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Thanks for these! Section 3 corrections are up:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/orlando_03_woolf_128kb.mp3
48:27

(I also got rid of the loud click associated with PL Note 21:55.)

Section 4 coming in a couple hours.
Say hi on Mastodon!
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Section 4 is up!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/orlando_04_woolf_128kb.mp3
50:40

I have some notes about it...

On page 109, in the inventory excerpt, I'm having trouble making sense of "To seventeen dozen boxes containing each dozen five dozen of Venice glasses" - is that to say, each dozen boxes contains five dozen Venice glasses? Or is there a "dozen" too many in that sentence? I read it as-is.

On page 110, "how many hundredweight of nails at 5 1/2 d a gill were needed to repair the fence round the park" - the "d" is probably the abbreviation for "pennies" (cite) but I just read the letter aloud, "dee", and left it at that.

And of course, most importantly, our vocabulary lesson for this section includes "teg", "diurturnity", "scrolloping", and "peroration"!
Say hi on Mastodon!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Section 3 is PL OK! (As for the click, I didn't mention it because I reckoned two birds would be killed with one stone. :mrgreen: )

Section 4 PLing to follow tomorrow!

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

I have just a few notes for section 4:

- At 23:18, "For when he tore the parchment across," part of "parchment" dips below an audible level (p. 103)
- At 26:42, "but had seen only thoughts," you say "but had only seen his thoughts" (p. 105)
- AT 42:49, "to forgive her her intrusion," I hear "to forgive her intrusion" (p. 114)
- At 49:27, "There she was, flopping about among the chairs," I hear "There she was, flapping about among the chairs" (p. 118)

My favorite of the new vocab has to be "diurturnity"!

That's how I understood the "dozen" sentence as well.

And once again Haddaway's one hit was playing in my head as Orlando pondered the question "What is love?" on p. 99 and following! :lol:

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Scarbo wrote: January 29th, 2024, 5:53 pm Section 3 is PL OK! (As for the click, I didn't mention it because I reckoned two birds would be killed with one stone. :mrgreen: )
How well you know me!
Scarbo wrote: January 30th, 2024, 3:22 pm And once again Haddaway's one hit was playing in my head as Orlando pondered the question "What is love?" on p. 99 and following! :lol:
While I, once again, got earwormed with Howard Jones. Heh. I had so much fun reading Section 4. Woolf is so delightfully arch in her narration.

Might manage the corrections a little later tonight; otherwise, those and Section 5 to come Friday!
Say hi on Mastodon!
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Or, indeed, Saturday.

Corrections for Section 4 are up:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/orlando_04_woolf_128kb.mp3
50:41

Section 5 coming later today/tonight!
Say hi on Mastodon!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Section 4 is PL OK!

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Woo-hoo!

Section 5 is up, destined to be our second-longest section (better pack a lunch):
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/orlando_05_woolf_128kb.mp3
59:41
Say hi on Mastodon!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Here are my notes for section 5. For some of these, I'm sure it's a case of your actually saying the word but maybe the microphone not quite picking up a letter, so feel free to leave them as is if you hear the word in question yourself:

- At 4:28, "should feel a passion of affection for the bright, unseasonable flowers," I hear "should feel a passion of affection for the right, unseasonable flowers" (p. 121)
- At 9:06, "or throw aside his shoes and join the worshippers in the Mosques," I hear "or throw aside his shoes and join the worshippers in the Mosque" (p. 124)
- At 9:56, "There exist, even to this day," I hear "There exists, even to this day" (p. 124)
- At 16:48, "daughter of the General of that name," you say "daughter of the General of that same name" (p. 128)
- At 17:56, "Oh! how I longed for you all!" I hear "Oh! how I long for you all!" (p. 128-9)
- At 21:41, "A certain lady, who was said to be dying for love of Orlando," you say "A certain lady, who was said to be dying of love for Orlando" (p. 131)
- At 34:11, "ranging themselves side by side in order," I hear "raging themselves side by side in order" (p. 137)
- At 45:29, "she could not help bursting out again," you say "she could not help bursting out" (p. 144)
- At 47:37, "which in its turn, led to Love" you say "which in turn led to Love" (p. 145)
- At 47:40, "(as in the days on the high mound at home)," I hear "(as on the days on the high mound at home)" (p. 145)
- At 48:19, "in a long, blank verse poem," I hear "in long, blank verse poem" (p. 145)
- At 50:05, "and in the old woman," you say "and in the woman" (p. 146)
- At 50:13, there's a slight click before "They wished Orlando would leave the tent and never come near them again," and then another click after it (p. 146)
- At 53:11, "than to build three hundred and sixty-five bedrooms when one was enough," I hear "than build three hundred and sixty-five bedrooms when one was enough" (p. 148)

I think this word came up in the text before, but I thought to look up "bastinado" this time, and phew, the thought of that makes me wince!

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Some great catches here - thank you! They are all spot-on. It wasn't the mic, it was me being a bit mush-mouthed in places.

Corrections are ready for spot PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/orlando_05_woolf_128kb.mp3
59:51

I thought "bastinado" sounded familiar, but I couldn't quite place where I'd heard it before. Nor had I actually looked it up until now. Ouch!
Say hi on Mastodon!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Section 5 is PL OK!

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Yay, thank you!

I had time to read Section 6 today:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/orlando_06_woolf_128kb.mp3
44:00

("Paduasoy" and "samphire" have joined our old friend "orgulus" to delight and eddify us!)

And I'm unlikely to be able to do more until next week, since we've got games to host (and skate in) on Saturday. So definitely no pressure or hurry on my account!
Say hi on Mastodon!