[COMPLETE][SOLO]Orlando: A Biography by Virginia Woolf - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Here are my notes for section 6:

- At 3:12, "(here she laid her hand on her knee)," I hear "(here she laid a hand on her knee)" (p. 154)
- At 5:09, "Surely it throws the spirit into such a rapture that nothing else can," I hear "Surely it throws the spirit into such rapture that nothing else can" (p. 155)
- At 12:59, "wafted from a million trees, heavy with the fruit," I hear "wafted from a million trees, heavy with fruit" (p. 160)
- At 26:45, "by which he meant that they were Papists," I hear "by which he meant that they were Papist" (p. 167)
- At 34:03, "which was made as the Conqueror had taught them many hundred years ago," you say "which was made as the Conqueror had taught them many years ago" (p. 171)
- At 38:15, "Thus it is obvious that she was back in the confines of her own religion," you say "Thus it was obvious that she was back in the confines of her own religion" (p. 173)
- At 41:50, "she was only in process of fabrication," you say "she was only in the process of fabrication" (p. 175)

I also have one optional note that could just be considered a variation in how "-s'" plural possessives are pronounced and not necessarily a departure from word-perfect, so you could decide to leave it as is according to your preference: at 33:56, "brushed her hair with King James' silver brush," I hear "brushed her hair with King James's silver brush" (p. 171).

"Samphire" has to be my new favorite word of the week!

Have fun at roller derby!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Corrections for Section 6 are up:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/orlando_06_woolf_128kb.mp3
44:03

I opted to leave King James' hair brush as-is, as that is how I prefer to pronounce the possessive of a word ending in an s, if given my choice. (I also would have spelled it James's, had I gotten a chance to go back in time and interfere with the copy-edits.) Thanks for the flexibility!

Section 7 coming soon.
Nicole J. LeBoeuf. It rhymes with "I write stuff."
Recently completed: Orlando: A Biography (Virginia Woolf)
Say hi on Mastodon!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Section 6 is PL OK!

("Optional" maybe wasn't the best word for me to use about the last note - you call the shots on your project, so it's totally up to you whether to make edits based on any of the notes about word differences, not just that one!)
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Scarbo wrote: February 12th, 2024, 5:14 pm Section 6 is PL OK!
Yay! Thank you!
("Optional" maybe wasn't the best word for me to use about the last note - you call the shots on your project, so it's totally up to you whether to make edits based on any of the notes about word differences, not just that one!)
No worries, I understand that by "optional" you meant "this isn't a word-perfect issue." At the same time, even knowing it's up to me, I'm always open to pronunciation corrections where you think they'd improve the recording. You have a good ear and great judgment where these things are concerned.

Meanwhile, here is Section 7!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/orlando_07_woolf_128kb.mp3
48:03

I was completely at sea when I saw " £40,885 :6:8 " and had no idea how to read that until checking out other audiobooks of the same text - the Spotify Audiobooks edition, read by Brandy Rose, available on Everand, was my lifeline this time around. (We also have another edition here on LibriVox thanks to Cori porting the Legamus recording over as soon as U.S. copyright allowed, and while I haven't listened to it yet, it seems to be getting some kudos from LV listeners already!)
Say hi on Mastodon!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

I have just a few notes for section 7:

- At 12:45, "that she would infinitely have preferred a rapier," you say "that she would have infinitely preferred a rapier" (p. 184)
- At 27:35, "many of these great ladies waited on her in person," I hear "many of these great ladies waited on her person" (p. 192)

Another that you might consider minor enough to leave as is: at 41:42, "are tolerated where the illusion prevails," I hear a slight "T" sound after "illusion" (p. 200).

"£40,885 :6:8" would have thrown me for a loop as well! And I didn't know that Legamus existed until you mentioned it.

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Ah-hahaha-ha-ha! Finally, an evening free to record in!

Here are Section 7 corrections:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/orlando_07_woolf_128kb.mp3
48:04

I was able to isolate that "t" sound at the end of "illusions" and just cut it out, so that was easy.

Section 8 coming shortly!
Say hi on Mastodon!
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Say hi on Mastodon!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Section 7 is PL OK!

I have just two notes for section 8:

- At 13:37, "and the fact that he would marry a Countess and die very respectably in the end?" you say "and the very fact that he would marry a Countess and die very respectably in the end?" (p. 210)
- At 26:09, "so that she did not know whether to laugh or to cry," I hear "so that she did not know whether to laugh or cry" (p. 217)

The word of the week is "marl." :lol:

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Scarbo wrote: February 24th, 2024, 2:59 pm Section 7 is PL OK!
Excellent! Notes trimmed to just the mm:ss length.

Section 8 corrections are ready!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/orlando_08_woolf_128kb.mp3
42:15
The word of the week is "marl." :lol:
It's a good one! But unless I'm missing an older definition, I can't see why walking on it is up there with walking on fiery cobbles.
Say hi on Mastodon!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Section 8 is PL OK!

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Section 9 is ready:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/orlando_09_woolf_128kb.mp3
1:03:45

This will be our longest section - slightly shorter than the original 65-minute estimate, but only slightly. The checker failed it for being more than 60 minutes, but as we discussed at the beginning of the project, 74 is the hard max and this is well short of that, so it's fine?
Say hi on Mastodon!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NicoleJLeBoeuf wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 12:24 amThis will be our longest section - slightly shorter than the original 65-minute estimate, but only slightly. The checker failed it for being more than 60 minutes, but as we discussed at the beginning of the project, 74 is the hard max and this is well short of that, so it's fine?
yes, for some reason checker was created with the 60-minute limit, so it will give a warning, but our real limit is 74 minutes, so you're good :) and kudos for such a long section. :shock: I think my longest once was 63 or so and I was glad it was done. I spent over 2 days editing it, because I simply couldn't do so many hours in one go without headaches.

Sonia
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Thanks for confirming that 74 min. is the real max!

I think I read the first 15-20 minutes of it several nights ago (up to when Orlando blushes a lot thinking about crinolines and bassinets), and then the rest last night. Reading aloud for long stretches doesn't bother me too much, and I edit as I go, so there isn't a lot of that to do later. The real trial is when I start my personal proof-listen and realize it's later at night than I'd thought and it's just gonna get later :-)
Say hi on Mastodon!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NicoleJLeBoeuf wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 6:47 pmReading aloud for long stretches doesn't bother me too much
good for you...that is my main problem. I think my voice gets tired if I read for longer than 20 minuntes. I try to stay under 15 minutes per session, then I need a break. :?

Sonia
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

I have just a few notes for section 9:

- At 7:55, "and the undistinguished fecundity of the garden," I hear "and the indistinguished fecundity of the garden" (p. 231)
- At 39:30, "Here will I lie," you say "Here I will lie" (p. 248)

You'd mentioned earlier that you were open to pronunciation notes, so here's another case not related to word-perfectness where there's a pronunciation difference, but it's similar enough that you might decide to leave it as is: at 1:41, "damp is silent, imperceptible, ubiquitous," "ubiquitous" is typically pronounced "yubiquitous." (p. 227)

Sarah