COMPLETE: Money For Nothing by P. G. Wodehouse - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
zachh

Post by zachh »

Money For Nothing, by P. G. Wodehouse (1881 - 1975)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/money-for-nothing-by-p-g-wodehouse/

Volunteers outside the USA: P. G. Wodehouse died in 1975. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
In this incisively insightful novel P. G. Wodehouse, as is his invariable custom, delves deep into the souls of his characters to lay bare many aspects of the human condition including the emotional, (“A snail crossed her path. She did not tread on it, for she had a kind heart, but she gave it a look. It was a look which, had it reached John, at whom it was really directed, would have scorched him”), the intellectual, (“Those just-as-good imitation heads never pay in the long run. What you ought to do is sell yours for what it’ll fetch and get a new one. And next time,” said Chimp, “make it a prettier one.”) and the theological. (“On that last awful day… do you know what’ll ‘appen? The Lord God Almighty will say, angry-like, ‘Oo’s responsible for all these corpses I see laying around ‘ere?’ and E’ll look at you sort of sharp , and you’ll have to rise up and say ‘If I’d of done as Sergeant Major Flannery repeatedly told me…there wouldn’t have been none of these poor murdered blokes.’ “)

This book introduces Hugo Carmody and Ronnie Fish, who later appeared in two Blandings Castle novels. Master criminals Dolly and Soapy Molloy and Chimp Twist make a return appearance in this story, after their debut in Sam In The Suburbs (Sam The Sudden in the UK). The action mainly takes place in and near the sleepy village of Rudge-in-the-Vale, with an interlude in London. (Summary by Zach Hoyt)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_for_Nothing_(novel)

Target completion date: 2024-04-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
Genres for the project: Humorous Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: humor, england

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Money For Nothing. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Money For Nothing, by P. G. Wodehouse. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Money For Nothing, by P. G. Wodehouse. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Money For Nothing, by P. G. Wodehouse."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: moneyfornothing_##_wodehouse_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. moneyfornothing_01_wodehouse_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by zachh on March 24th, 2024, 11:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
zachh

Post by zachh »

I am going to read this from a physical 1928 copy of the book, at least until such time as the PG version comes out. I've got pictures of the title and copyright pages which I will upload once I know which MC's folder to put them in. I put in the link to Wikipedia again in the text link box because the template required something in that box before I could generate the template.

I've been looking forward to reading this book for years, especially the excerpt from the vicar's speech, the speeches of the dog Emily, and the dialogue of Sergeant Major Flannery. I'm looking for someone who will be kind enough to DPL this book.
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

Project has been started at PGDP for PG. Scan are at:

https://archive.org/details/money-for-nothing_202401/mode/2up

Greg
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

I'm a big Wodehouse fan. So if you are willing to have me DPL count me in.

Thanks

M
zachh

Post by zachh »

M, thank you very much. I'll be very glad to have you as DPL. gweeks, thanks for letting me know and for all the work you do both there and here. I'll keep an eye out for when it becomes available, and will use the book in the meantime.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Zach. I can MC for you.
Jo
zachh

Post by zachh »

Jo, thank you very much. I will upload the pictures to your folder momentarily.
zachh

Post by zachh »

I've uploaded Chapter 1. Thank you very much for coming back as DPL.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

zachh wrote: January 6th, 2024, 11:34 am I've uploaded Chapter 1. Thank you very much for coming back as DPL.
Quite enjoyable. Love your characters, especially Emily.

My comments are regarding what I am assuming are the differences between the edition you are reading from and the one on Internet Archive.

0:20 "introducing a young man in love" where from? There are no chapter titles in the one online
18:07 "John, who for some years now had looked after the estate for his uncle" not in online text which reads after "John had a couple of
rooms over the stables,"
21:35 "Mr Carmody took it" instead of "Mr. Hugo took it" This one should be changed as he is driving to Mr. Carmody.

Not sure what to do about the first two differences.

I do recognize your recording style even if I didn't remember your name. Glad to get to listen to another of your recordings.

Thanks,

M
zachh

Post by zachh »

The chapter titles in the MW are taken from the Contents page in the 1928 copy I am reading from, and also are shown at the top of each chapter like this:

Chapter 1
Introducing A Young Man In Love (for instance)

and then the text of the chapter begins. The first sentence you mentioned is in the recording as it is in the book I have, so I am inclined to leave it like that. I definitely need to change the second one from Mr. Carmody to Mr. Hugo, and will get that done tomorrow and repost the chapter. Thank you very much for all of your help.
zachh

Post by zachh »

Thanks for catching my error. I have changed Carmody to Hugo at 21:45. Thank you very much.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

zachh wrote: January 9th, 2024, 6:11 am Thanks for catching my error. I have changed Carmody to Hugo at 21:45. Thank you very much.
PL OK. I love some of those voices. :)

M
zachh

Post by zachh »

That's very nice of you. I have a lot of fun trying to do voices, and it is easier to edit books with conversations because I stutter less when reading in a voice, for some reason, so there is less to delete. I've uploaded Chapter 2. Thank you for your help.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

zachh wrote: January 10th, 2024, 11:17 am That's very nice of you. I have a lot of fun trying to do voices, and it is easier to edit books with conversations because I stutter less when reading in a voice, for some reason, so there is less to delete. I've uploaded Chapter 2. Thank you for your help.
Well, the voices make it much more amusing too.

I've marked chapter 2, PL OK. Had to laugh at the conversation between uncle and nephew. :lol:

M
zachh

Post by zachh »

I'm sorry to have been so long. Chapter 3 didn't seem worth uploading by itself, and 4 took a while to get done. Thank you for all of your help.