COMPLETE: Harper's Young People, Vol. 01, Issue 39 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Harper's Young People, Vol. 01, Issue 39, July 27, 1880, by Various

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/harpers-young-people-vol-01-issue-39-july-27-1880-by-various/

Harper's Young People is an illustrated weekly publication for children that includes short stories, tales from history, natural history, poetry, puzzles, and other fun. This 39th issue of the serial was published on July 27th, 1880. In this issue, "The Moral Pirates" make great progress on their journey but find themselves accused of thievery in the ninth part of their story; an uncle shares the story of a now-deceased friend who once saved his life in "Poor Ben!"; and retired warhorse, "Old Hannibal", hears the call to march once more. Other highlights of this issue include a do-it-yourself guide to fire eating; a behind the scenes tour of a tea plantation in Java to see how green and black teas are made; and, the third part in "The Story of the American Navy" in which Congress is reluctant to spend money on a navy but is persuaded to do so by new threats to Americans at home and abroad. This periodical was published by Harper & Brothers, known today for their publications Harper's Bazaar and Harper's Magazine. (Summary by Jill Engle)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/29050

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction; Children's Non-fiction; Short Stories

Keywords that describe the book: poetry, children, history, dog, dogs, animals, pets, doll, Japan, books, short stories, new york, love, plants, police, pirates, school, green, flowers, confession, letter, horse, cotton, blockade, sea, cats, black, hair, review, island, thieves, butterfly, painting, bath, army, sailing, ocean, navy, riddle, garden, summer, puzzle, fire, nursery rhyme, boat, painter, java, rose, farm, caterpillar, plantation, convoy, tea, guns, apple, officer, bush, swimming, friend, leaves, swallow, rowing, tribute, candle, mediterranean, illustrations, post office, mail, naval, nursery, vessel, advertisements, rabbits, swim, stones, seeds, albany, troops, leaf, flotilla, pool, dive, planting, dried, roasted, roast, roasting, rolling, roller, tins, policeman, lock, frigates, cruiser, gun-boat, squadron, daisies, militia, peninsula, hares, fire eating, turnip, almond

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Special note: Please ignore illustrations and their captions unless otherwise indicated in the Magic Window.

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of Harper's Young People, Volume 1, Issue 39, July 27, 1880. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Harper's Young People, Volume 1, Issue 39, July 27, 1880. Section Title. (If the section you're reading contains more than one story, please read the story titles as you read each story.)"
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Harper's Young People, Volume 1, Issue 39, July 27, 1880."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: hyp39_##_various_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. hyp39_01_various_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Jill :)
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

I believe JorWat will be DPLing this issue. Jordan, will you confirm? Thank you!
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

jillebean wrote: December 31st, 2023, 2:12 pm I believe JorWat will be DPLing this issue. Jordan, will you confirm? Thank you!
Well, you asked nicely…
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I'll MC.
Jo
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: January 1st, 2024, 11:51 am I'll MC.
Thank you Jo! I will fill in the MW later tonight.

Jill
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Somehow, I seem to be listed as the DPL for this effort. Hmmm.

I see that JorWat has agreed to be the DPL or I would have said, "Sure, I will do it."

Keep me in mind for future issues if you need a DPL.

Happy New Year!

Lomond
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Oops! Sorry about that Lomond - DPL is now correctly listed as JorWat.
Jo
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

All right, the MW is filled out and I think we're ready for claims and Readers Wanted! Off we go!

Jill
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Hi, I would like to read Sections 2 and 5, if I may.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

silverquill wrote: January 1st, 2024, 11:54 pm Hi, I would like to read Sections 2 and 5, if I may.
They're all yours! Thanks for the claims, Larry.

Jill
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

May I have section 8?

Thanks,

M
StaceyM2022

Post by StaceyM2022 »

May I claim section 11?

Thanks,
Stacey
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

Sections 9 and 10 please…

BettyB
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

mleigh wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 3:45 am May I have section 8?
Thanks,
M
StaceyM2022 wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 4:38 am May I claim section 11?
Thanks,
Stacey
BettyB wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 7:41 am Sections 9 and 10 please…
BettyB
These are all yours, respectively. Thanks for the claims!

Jill
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thought I might as well get my two sections posted:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hyp39_02_various_128kb.mp3 9:21
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/hyp39_05_various_128kb.mp3 7:50

Haven't been to Java, but I have seen the tea plantations in Darjeeling. Very impressive!
And, I apologize for my poor French in Section 5. Should have worked harder on that during my years in Haiti. :roll:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry