COMPLETE The Tower Treasure by Franklin W. Dixon - rr

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SamuelDGraham

Post by SamuelDGraham »

The Tower Treasure, by Franklin W. Dixon (1902 - 1977)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found in our catalog:
https://librivox.org/the-tower-treasure-version-5-by-franklin-w-dixon/

Volunteers outside the USA: Franklin W. Dixon died in 1977. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
The Hardy boys begin their first case as sons of a famous detectives tracking down a jewel thief. (Summary by SamuelDGraham)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/70083

Target completion date: 2024-02-10

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Action & Adventure

Keywords that describe the book: adventure, Mystery

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Tower Treasure. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Tower Treasure, by Franklin W. Dixon. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Tower Treasure, by Franklin W. Dixon. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Tower Treasure, by Franklin W. Dixon."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: towertreasure_##_dixon_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. towertreasure_01_dixon_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: redrun

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Hello Samuel, and welcome to LibriVox!

I see that you've got the OK on your 1-minute test, and you're ready to record. You also mentioned that you've read a few books on YouTube. We still recommend reading a few chapters in group projects before launching a solo - you'll get to know some of our process before you hop in the driver's seat - but we can get you set up if and when you want to go ahead. Just post back here, and we'll see it. :wink:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

just fyi - we do have 4 versions already in the catalogue. You can do another - but some readers prefer not to. Anne
SamuelDGraham

Post by SamuelDGraham »

Re: redrun & annise
I think I'm ready to go! I've browsed the forums and To Do's, so here we go!

Samuel
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Ok, I'm moving the thread back to the launch pad. If someone else hasn't already done so by this evening, I'll be back to get you set up then. :)

I'm assuming you don't have a Proof Listener lined up, so I'm adding a "~" at the front of the thread title, so folks know you're looking.
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
SamuelDGraham

Post by SamuelDGraham »

Thank you very much!
<u>Samuel<u/>
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

First, a note: I see you checked the box for reading a preface, but this edition of the book doesn't have one. I've set you up for just the 24 chapters. :thumbs:

---

Alright, your Magic Window ("MW") is now in place, embedded in the first post on this thread. I've taken the liberty of filling in the first few chapter names for you, but we'll have you fill the rest out the rest before we continue.

As the solo reader of the book, you'll also be the Book Coordinator (BC).
I'm your Meta-Coordinator (MC), I'll be bundling up the book for the catalog when you're finished, and I'll be here in case you have questions.
We'll also have someone drop by to Proof Listen (PL) each section or chapter as you upload it. This will happen sooner or later. :wink:

Now, to get you in that driver's seat I warned about!
Our catalog system uses the same username as your forum account, but it is separate. So you'll need to "reset" that password to get signed in. Full instructions here:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window#Accessing_the_System_%E2%80%93_First_Time_Login

Once you have your account set up, you can come back to this thread, and click on the little link below that Magic Window, that says "BC Admin". This takes you to the screen where you'll enter the rest of the chapter titles now.

As you upload each chapter, you'll come back to this screen to enter the link and the file duration, as instructed further down this page:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

Any time you make a change, just post about it on the forum so I, and anyone watching to Proof Listen, will get the notification.

I'll leave this thread in the launch pad until those chapter titles are filled out, and then perhaps for a while longer to see if we snag a volunteer for PL. Happy reading! :D
SamuelDGraham

Post by SamuelDGraham »

re: redrun
Thank you! I updated my MW and "Reset" the password. This means I may start reading if I want?
Samuel
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Yes, you're good to go!

After a day or two here in the launch pad, I'll move us to the Going Solo forum. If we don't have a volunteer to PL by the time your first chapter is ready, I'll post an ad so you can get timely feedback.
Two things LV beginners will often forget: volume, and silences. The details for that are in your first post, and they do matter for consistency in LibriVox recordings.
If you'd like a tool to check the volume yourself, this Checker program is quite handy:
https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/
Like many things here, made by a LibriVox volunteer.

Thank you again for taking the time to volunteer your voice. I look forward to working with you! :D
SamuelDGraham

Post by SamuelDGraham »

Thank you for all the help! I'm glad to be a part of the LibriVox community.
I have my first chapter on the site. Here's the link whenever you get to it, and I'm working on the magic window now.
https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/towertreasure_01_dixon_128kb.mp3
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Looking good so far. I think all that's left for section 1 is to click where it says 'Assigned', on the right, and switch it to 'Ready for PL'.

We'll get that ad up tomorrow, then. :thumbs:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I will serve as DPL if you wish.

I have listened to Chapter 1 and found only one problem. At 2:34 or so, I hear 'blew up' instead of 'grew up.' Hahah! It's kind of funny, but that's what I hear. Maybe I'm wrong. What do you think?
SamuelDGraham

Post by SamuelDGraham »

Thank you, Kevin! I'll try to pay more attention in the future.
SamuelDGraham

Post by SamuelDGraham »

KevinS wrote: January 4th, 2024, 6:27 am I will serve as DPL if you wish.

I have listened to Chapter 1 and found only one problem. At 2:34 or so, I hear 'blew up' instead of 'grew up.' Hahah! It's kind of funny, but that's what I hear. Maybe I'm wrong. What do you think?
Very attentive! As BC, I accept you as Proof Listener!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Alright! I've added Kevin as the Dedicated Proof Listener (dedicated meaning: he's following the project as you post, so he'll be PLing the other sections too).

For this time, I've set the status on chapter 1 to 'See PL Notes'. Going forward, Kevin will be able to set that status himself.
Samuel, when you have uploaded your correction on chapter 1, you can update the duration (if it's different than the first file), set the status to 'Ready for Spot-PL', and of course post back on the forum. :D

And since we're up and running, I'll move us on over to Going Solo!