COMPLETE Imperialism and World Politics, Part 1 of 4, by Parker Thomas Moon - rr

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Perfect, thanks for the clarification! I may have missed that, and just wanted to be sure it's understood. All on the same page! :thumbs:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

redrun wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 1:29 pm Perfect, thanks for the clarification! I may have missed that, and just wanted to be sure it's understood. All on the same page! :thumbs:
good, thanks! Hopefully it's a reminder for Alister too. I don't write "optional", but it's up to Alister to decide.
Alister

Post by Alister »

DrSpoke wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 11:11 am
great reading. A couple of notes:

2@04:23 missing bit underlined
titanic conflict of 1914. Austria-Hungary, as lesser partner in the Central European coalition, strove to master the Balkans. Russian tsars

5@13:35
but their shares rose to 40% in 1913
but their share rose to 40% in 1913

P.S.
I am VERY apologetic for this delay in prooflistening duties! I missed the upload and post informing me of the file ready for PL.
I guess now I owe you a drink...
Thanks Claudia!

I'm about 28 minutes deep in the next section so I'll correct it when I upload that.

No worries. I was away from my mic for 4 days myself. Family visiting from overseas.

It'd have to be some fruit juice; I'm a bit of a teetotaler :wink:.
DrSpoke wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 1:32 pm
redrun wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 1:29 pm Perfect, thanks for the clarification! I may have missed that, and just wanted to be sure it's understood. All on the same page! :thumbs:
good, thanks! Hopefully it's a reminder for Alister too. I don't write "optional", but it's up to Alister to decide.
Corrections generally aren't too. . . tricky. So I'm happy to rely on Claudia's best judgement usually.

Occasionally I might demur if fixing a minor error in a quotation would mean trying to match both the voice I conjured at the time and what filters I've applied in the order I applied them, or else re-recording the entire thing. I've been meaning to start making notes on that front while recording to make that a smidge easier.

Well actually, on that head, I've recently bought a cassette player, some cassette tape with a terrible reputation and some vintage reel-to-reel microphones from the 1950s. So I'll hopefully soon be experimenting with a more physical approach to generating the archival 'found material' aesthetic for quotes.
Alister

Post by Alister »

Well hot damn :wink:.

That section surely taught me a few things, and clarified a few things I already knew.

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/imperialism1of4_02_moon_128kb.mp3 (43:30)

If I ever said anything (sometime in the distant half-forgotten past, no doubt) about Imperialism having short chapters, I retract that statement :lol:.

P.S.

I'll do the spot correction later today.
Alister

Post by Alister »

Spot Correction uploading now. New time 19:07.

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/imperialism1of4_01_moon_128kb.mp3
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Alister wrote: January 25th, 2024, 9:06 pm Spot Correction uploading now. New time 19:07.
perfectly splok
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Section 2:

9 (subsection)@04:20
The answer is suggested by even a cursory sketch
An answer is suggested by even a cursory sketch

18 (very top)@27:02
"a standing committed to rob and bamboozle the people"
"a standing conspiracy to rob and bamboozle the people"
Alister

Post by Alister »

DrSpoke wrote: January 26th, 2024, 8:34 am Section 2:

9 (subsection)@04:20
The answer is suggested by even a cursory sketch
An answer is suggested by even a cursory sketch

18 (very top)@27:02
"a standing committed to rob and bamboozle the people"
"a standing conspiracy to rob and bamboozle the people"
Well that correction was a lot smoother and more painless than I expected :D

It is always nice when things go well.

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/imperialism1of4_02_moon_128kb.mp3
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Alister

Post by Alister »

Section 3 Done. Will post link below on upload completion.

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/imperialism1of4_03_moon_128kb.mp3

I've left in marginal notations for your listening enjoyment, but I'll probably have to nuke them in spot correction because their copyright status is dubious.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Alister wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 1:52 am I've left in marginal notations for your listening enjoyment, but I'll probably have to nuke them in spot correction because their copyright status is dubious.
If you're referring to the handwritten notes (which I see on page 51/31), then I'm afraid you're correct. If it's not printed, then it's not what the author published, so we must not include it in the audio. ...as amusing or interesting as our unknown commentator's notes may be. :wink:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Alister wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 1:52 am I've left in marginal notations for your listening enjoyment, but I'll probably have to nuke them in spot correction because their copyright status is dubious.
Very nice, thanks. Please give me the timestamp to spot check its clean disappearance; I forgot to write it down.

Notes:

27@07:35 repetition (underlined)
Germany began the erection [...] and other countries followed the lead

34@27:33
in labor legislation, in social reforms, economic nationalism became
In tariffs, in labor legislation, in social reforms, economic nationalism became

35-36@33:05
Sir George Grey, a famous explorer and colonial governor
Sir George Grey, a former explorer and colonial governor

36@34:57
A chance to purchase the French company which had just dug the Suez Canal
A chance to purchase control of the French company which had just dug the Suez Canal

Loved your jingoistic cameo.
Alister

Post by Alister »

DrSpoke wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 1:00 pm Loved your jingoistic cameo.
Might be a fine thing actually, if historical documentaries came with musical numbers :lol:.

I will try to make a note of the new timestamps for all the corrections.
redrun wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 9:32 am
If you're referring to the handwritten notes (which I see on page 51/31), then I'm afraid you're correct. If it's not printed, then it's not what the author published, so we must not include it in the audio. ...as amusing or interesting as our unknown commentator's notes may be. :wink:
Damn shame that. Sure would be nice if copyright explicitly didn't protect marginal notes. *Lost in a daydream*.
Alister

Post by Alister »

I will update the magic pane once I've finished uploading it.

Notes:

7:40

27@07:35 repetition (underlined)
Germany began the erection [...] and other countries followed the lead

17:40

Marginal Scrawl Removed

18:25

Marginal Scrawl Removed

26:49

34@27:33
in labor legislation, in social reforms, economic nationalism became
In tariffs, in labor legislation, in social reforms, economic nationalism became

32:20

35-36@33:05
Sir George Grey, a famous explorer and colonial governor
Sir George Grey, a former explorer and colonial governor

34:10

36@34:57
A chance to purchase the French company which had just dug the Suez Canal
A chance to purchase control of the French company which had just dug the Suez Canal
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Alister wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 4:51 pm
Editing: great and sploked.
But there's something funny going on at the very beginning. One you too many?
If it was a case of inadvertently creating an mp3 out of two tracks, better check other sections at risk of choirs?