Uhm *tap tap* Is this thing on?

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Freso

Post by Freso »

Oh, it is! Uh. Hi!

I’m Freso, a geek born and raised in Copenhagen, Denmark but currently residing across the sound in Scania, Sweden. I’ve been doing Twitch streaming for a while on and off where I’ve occasionally read various works – usually articles, but I did read a couple of Palestinian folk tales from a PD book for a fundraiser for PCRF a month or two ago – and I’ve read a couple of books with various friends where we’ve taken turns reading for each other. I don’t know how much stock to put in it, but a number of different people have told me they find my voice to be nice to listen to, and conversely, I haven’t been able to find as much early (or otherwise, really) Danish and Swedish syndicalist, anarchist, communist, proletarian/labour movement, feminist, etc. literature… So what I have found and what I do find, I would really like to turn into audiobooks to hopefully make it easier for the next person looking to find it. (And if anyone has a suggestion for any, I’d love to hear it!) I’m also not averse to doing readings in English (in fact, I’m probably more comfortable with English than Swedish!).

I’ve been meaning to do my sample recording for months, but I keep… not doing it. Hopefully posting this introduction will help push me towards actually getting that done! 😅

Besides this, I also have a loooong history of being involved with and contributing to a number of free software, free data, and free culture projects, most significantly probably the various MetaBrainz projects (e.g., MusicBrainz and BookBrainz) and projects related to their ecosystem (such as whipper(/morituri) and beets). I’ve also recently started helping Open Library a bit – which is an Internet Archive project. MetaBrainz has been collaborating with IA for ages too, and one of the current lead devs of whipper works on it in part as part of employment for IA, so I have some experience of working with IA/archive.org in a variety of ways, and I have also visited their SF HQ and seen (and heard! Iykyk) their server farm where all this delicious data is stored, including all of the LibriVox recordings! 🤭

Anyway. Way past my bedtime here, but wanted to push this out before turning in. Looking forward to working with y’all!
vviera

Post by vviera »

Freso wrote: December 28th, 2023, 8:23 pm Oh, it is! Uh. Hi!
Yes, your microphone is on - coming through loud and clear!

No Scandinavian languages currently in the "Languages Other Than English" forum. That's where you come in!
viewforum.php?f=60

You'll be an absolutely awesome addition to LibriVox. Get that 1-minute done so you can come in and start having some fun with us. Welcome aboard!
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
Freso

Post by Freso »

vviera wrote: December 29th, 2023, 7:27 am Get that 1-minute done
Took me some days still, but… viewtopic.php?t=101098 🫡
vviera

Post by vviera »

Freso wrote: January 4th, 2024, 7:56 am
vviera wrote: December 29th, 2023, 7:27 am Get that 1-minute done
Took me some days still, but… viewtopic.php?t=101098 🫡
Great! Someone will be along to check that soon. :thumbs:
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

Freso wrote: December 28th, 2023, 8:23 pm Oh, it is! Uh. Hi!

I’m Freso, a geek born and raised in Copenhagen, Denmark but currently residing across the sound in Scania, Sweden. I’ve been doing Twitch streaming for a while on and off where I’ve occasionally read various works – usually articles, but I did read a couple of Palestinian folk tales from a PD book for a fundraiser for PCRF a month or two ago – and I’ve read a couple of books with various friends where we’ve taken turns reading for each other. I don’t know how much stock to put in it, but a number of different people have told me they find my voice to be nice to listen to, and conversely, I haven’t been able to find as much early (or otherwise, really) Danish and Swedish syndicalist, anarchist, communist, proletarian/labour movement, feminist, etc. literature… So what I have found and what I do find, I would really like to turn into audiobooks to hopefully make it easier for the next person looking to find it. (And if anyone has a suggestion for any, I’d love to hear it!) I’m also not averse to doing readings in English (in fact, I’m probably more comfortable with English than Swedish!).

I’ve been meaning to do my sample recording for months, but I keep… not doing it. Hopefully posting this introduction will help push me towards actually getting that done! 😅

Besides this, I also have a loooong history of being involved with and contributing to a number of free software, free data, and free culture projects, most significantly probably the various MetaBrainz projects (e.g., MusicBrainz and BookBrainz) and projects related to their ecosystem (such as whipper(/morituri) and beets). I’ve also recently started helping Open Library a bit – which is an Internet Archive project. MetaBrainz has been collaborating with IA for ages too, and one of the current lead devs of whipper works on it in part as part of employment for IA, so I have some experience of working with IA/archive.org in a variety of ways, and I have also visited their SF HQ and seen (and heard! Iykyk) their server farm where all this delicious data is stored, including all of the LibriVox recordings! 🤭

Anyway. Way past my bedtime here, but wanted to push this out before turning in. Looking forward to working with y’all!
Hello Freso,

"delicious data" - um. You are a geek!

I'm a retired engineer/scientist living in Cambridge UK.
I love librivox because participating has caused me to read works that I wouldn't normally touch (e.g. poetry).
And I've enjoyed playing character parts in dramatic readings.
I see you have passed your test, so jump into the forums and have fun!

Regards & see you around!
Adrian
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM