[COMPLETE] DRAMA: Thyestes by Seneca - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ehsanesque

Post by ehsanesque »

Thyestes , by Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4 BC - AD 65), translated by Frank Justus Miller

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/thyestes-by-lucius-annaeus-seneca/

(Summary by )
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/57999

The Guttenberg ebook is too big and readers might face troubles reading from there. So I created a small Pdf out of that, readers can read from here also.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K79VGEFJy_pTNjNnjpZeUMuJawWw95gM/view?usp=drivesdk

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: 7tXw3SKL
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seneca_the_Younger (Lucius Annaeus Seneca)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyestes_(Seneca)
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 6
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
  • Original publication date (if known):
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book:

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of Thyestes , by Lucius Annaeus Seneca, translated by Frank Justus Miller. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Thyestes , by Lucius Annaeus Seneca, translated by Frank Justus Miller."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: thyestes_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. thyestes_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: thyestes_#_seneca_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. thyestes_1_seneca_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by ehsanesque on April 4th, 2024, 2:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
ehsanesque

Post by ehsanesque »

This is my first time coordinating, so I'll be needing a lots of help. So thanks in advance. :9:
ehsanesque

Post by ehsanesque »

There are five acts, there will also have to be a dramatis personae and an intro section, so that makes it six sections. However, each character in different acts might also need sections. I am sure how to figure that out. 8-)
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Ehsan!

To calculate how many additional sections you need for the characters, take each act and list all characters that have lines to be voiced be different readers. Having a separate section per character per act, makes it easier to keep track of the files. When you get the number of sections you need, I'll set the Magic Window up. The dramatis personae and intro can be a separate section or it can be included in the Act 1 section.

Will you also be editing and/or proof-listening?
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Ehsan
Glad to see you have decided to launch this. Good Luck!

I see Rapunzelina is offering to MC, she will be a great help to you (she always is to me)

I would be glad to offer any help i can but i am very busy at present so i cannot offer to DPL or edit. If you are planning to edit then I could help PL the final acts.
If you are planning to have an introduction or DP outside the first act then best to ask for a section 0.

Could I also get the play started by reading The Ghost of Tantulus who is only in act 1.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ehsanesque

Post by ehsanesque »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K79VGEFJy_pTNjNnjpZeUMuJawWw95gM/view?usp=drivesdk

The Guttenberg ebook is too big and readers might face troubles reading from there. So I created a small Pdf out of that, readers can read from here also.
Last edited by ehsanesque on December 25th, 2023, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ehsanesque

Post by ehsanesque »

Rapunzelina wrote: December 25th, 2023, 5:23 am Hi Ehsan!

To calculate how many additional sections you need for the characters, take each act and list all characters that have lines to be voiced be different readers. Having a separate section per character per act, makes it easier to keep track of the files. When you get the number of sections you need, I'll set the Magic Window up. The dramatis personae and intro can be a separate section or it can be included in the Act 1 section.

Will you also be editing and/or proof-listening?
Hello Rupanzelina, Merry Christman, thanks very much for the help.

I have counted the sections following your plan, I counted that there has to be 19 sections for characters and one section for Dramatis Personae (there will not be any intro, I think the narrator will do that part). Hence, 20 sections in total. I think we can add the dramatis personae and the introductory narration with the act one, that would be best. Make some extra sections anyways if we need to use them (is this how it works?)

Yes I will be doing the editing. Alan said that he can do the final PL after I edit them. However, I will need a DPL for each sections throughout the project.
ehsanesque

Post by ehsanesque »

alanmapstone wrote: December 25th, 2023, 5:35 am Hi Ehsan
Glad to see you have decided to launch this. Good Luck!

I see Rapunzelina is offering to MC, she will be a great help to you (she always is to me)

I would be glad to offer any help i can but i am very busy at present so i cannot offer to DPL or edit. If you are planning to edit then I could help PL the final acts.
If you are planning to have an introduction or DP outside the first act then best to ask for a section 0.

Could I also get the play started by reading The Ghost of Tantulus who is only in act 1.

Hi Alan, Merry Christmas to you too. Thank you very much for the encouragement. I will knock you if I need you for the final acts PLing after the edit.

As for now, Ghost of Tantalus is yours. Please note that, The Ghost of Tantalus only appears in Act 1, but I saw that Tantalus also appears as a son of Thyestes, not as a ghost in Act 3. I am guessing the character should be treated with the same voice? I will leave this to you. Cheers.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Ehsan! You have a Magic Window with 20 sections, you can add more if you need them, or I can delete the ones you don't need.

Here's a guide to the Magic Window:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

To gain access to the Magic Window, you'll need to set up your own password. Start with "Accessing the System – First Time Login" in the above guide, to create your password.
Once you have an MW password, you can use it for the uploader, too (forum name + MW password).

Obviously, organising a Magic Window for a dramatic work is even more complicated than a regular project, so please ask if anything confuses you, and I'll try to help as much as I can
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

ehsanesque wrote: December 25th, 2023, 7:42 am Please note that, The Ghost of Tantalus only appears in Act 1, but I saw that Tantalus also appears as a son of Thyestes, not as a ghost in Act 3. I am guessing the character should be treated with the same voice? I will leave this to you. Cheers.
Tantalus in Act 3 is different from the ghost of Tantalus. He's a descendant, his great-grandson, who bears his name.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

ehsanesque wrote: December 25th, 2023, 7:42 am As for now, Ghost of Tantalus is yours. Please note that, The Ghost of Tantalus only appears in Act 1, but I saw that Tantalus also appears as a son of Thyestes, not as a ghost in Act 3. I am guessing the character should be treated with the same voice? I will leave this to you. Cheers.
The Tantalus in act 3 is a different character and needs to be voiced by a different reader. I will just read the 3 speeches in Act 1 labelled The Ghost of Tantalus or Tantalus.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ehsanesque

Post by ehsanesque »

Thank you both. The ground work is laid out. I will be reading The Fury for now, but I also want to do the narration. But if anyone us up for that, then let's see. Otherwise I will do that too.
ehsanesque

Post by ehsanesque »

We await a DPL and we will be good to go.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

As the editor, since you'll be downloading the files to work with them anyway, you also have the option of doing the PL of these files yourself. If you'd still rather someone else did the PL, I don't mind doing it here, it looks quite straightforward.
ehsanesque

Post by ehsanesque »

Rapunzelina wrote: December 25th, 2023, 6:24 pm As the editor, since you'll be downloading the files to work with them anyway, you also have the option of doing the PL of these files yourself. If you'd still rather someone else did the PL, I don't mind doing it here, it looks quite straightforward.

Thank you. It's actually the case that I can't trust myself as a PL. I did my own PL once and then Beeswaxcandle found multiple errors haha.