[OK FOR LV?] Collected Works of the Black Liberation Army Volume I

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
jlso4u

Post by jlso4u »

This book was published with the following copyright notice:

"No rights reserved. This book is encouraged to be reprinted, redistributed, recirculated, made accessible by any means necessary."

It can be accessed here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14ZHMyWkVNcTZ5oXVl4H_jWuPOr8g0ZUT/view
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'd guess this wouldn't meet our text criteria, as it doesn't seem to have been "traditionally published" as far as I can tell. :hmm:
jlso4u

Post by jlso4u »

mightyfelix wrote: December 24th, 2023, 9:24 pm I'd guess this wouldn't meet our text criteria, as it doesn't seem to have been "traditionally published" as far as I can tell. :hmm:
What are the criteria for "traditionally published" you're not sure it meets? It doesn't seem to be defined here, unless I should be looking somewhere else.

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Recording_%26_Text_Policies
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Self-published works are not considered "traditionally published". (This would include the publishing-on-demand services that have sprung up over the past few years.) This is mentioned in the "What texts CANNOT be used" section of that wiki page.

So, essentially, "traditionally published" means a work has gone through a publisher, as it would have, say, 50 years ago: accepted for publication; edited and printed in a batch; distributed through bookstores, etc. and not just online.

It's very rare for any modern works to be traditionally published and not carry a copyright, because the publishing house wants to at least recoup its investment in the work.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
jlso4u

Post by jlso4u »

TriciaG wrote: December 25th, 2023, 6:49 am Self-published works are not considered "traditionally published". (This would include the publishing-on-demand services that have sprung up over the past few years.) This is mentioned in the "What texts CANNOT be used" section of that wiki page.
Yes, I noticed that, but I thought it was obvious that this work was not self-published. The publisher is Rookery Press, plenty of information about which should come up in a search engine.
So, essentially, "traditionally published" means a work has gone through a publisher, as it would have, say, 50 years ago: accepted for publication; edited and printed in a batch; distributed through bookstores, etc. and not just online.

It's very rare for any modern works to be traditionally published and not carry a copyright, because the publishing house wants to at least recoup its investment in the work.
This particular publisher operates by selling the physical copies of the book both online & to physical bookstores, while giving away the digital copies. I'm aware of others that use a similar model.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ah, so you're right! I didn't research deeply into the publisher.

We'll have to take a deeper look at this one. It's definitely outside our normal realm of works (later publication date, by an organization, but put into the public domain).
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart