[OPEN] Multilingual Short Works Collection 036 - Poetry & Prose - thw

Deutsche Projekte, Nederlandstalige Projecten, Proyectos en español, projets en français, Projekty po polsku, 日本語のプロジェクト
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

ChristianeJehanne wrote: January 24th, 2024, 8:01 am Bonjour Sonia,
Bonjour Michael,

Le Chateau hermétique
Bonjour Christiane,

Merci! Ce volume avance à grands pas. :clap:

Bonne fin de semaine,
Michael
ChristianeJehanne

Post by ChristianeJehanne »

Bonjour Michael,

Ravie que ma petite participation, ici, vous convienne.

Bonne fin de semaine aussi 😊

Je vais retrouver Chateaubriand… 😉😀

Amitiés
Christiane
AliceStein

Post by AliceStein »

Good evening!
May I ask what lenght of text qualifies as "short"?
I do have something in mind that is a 22 page novella and I figure, it would half an hour reading.
What do you think?
Kind regards
AliceStein
Ein Himmel mir und dir!
Insta:@librivox_readerette
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

AliceStein wrote: January 25th, 2024, 1:57 pm Good evening!
Certainly! Good question. :) In this project "short" means that it should fit in a single file, which we generally limit to 74 minutes.

Michael
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

oh oui, un mirage est toujours époustouflant. J'aimerais bien un jour en voir un. :9: très belle histoire, excellente lecture. Merci beaucoup Christiane. J'adorais !

PL ok du coup

Sonia
ChristianeJehanne

Bonjour Sonia,

Merci bien.

En Sud Finistère, nous avons à l’horizon des mirages, les Fata Morgana.
On dirait vraiment des châteaux…, celui de la Fée Morgane …, bien sûr.

Le nom est adopté et tout à fait officiel !, pour ce phénomène optique.
Voir Wikipédia 😀

Bon week-end !

Amitiés
Christiane.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChristianeJehanne wrote: January 26th, 2024, 9:01 amEn Sud Finistère, nous avons à l’horizon des mirages, les Fata Morgana.
On dirait vraiment des châteaux…, celui de la Fée Morgane …, bien sûr.
Le nom est adopté et tout à fait officiel !, pour ce phénomène optique.
Voir Wikipédia 😀
oui oui, je connais les fata morgana, c'est le même mot en allemand aussi. Et même en anglais. Mais je n'en ai jamais vu encore, du moins pas que je sache. Peut-être j'en vois tout le temps et je crois que c'est réel :lol:

Sonia
ChristianeJehanne

😂, à bientôt…

Christiane
AliceStein

Post by AliceStein »

Kazbek wrote: January 25th, 2024, 9:20 pm
AliceStein wrote: January 25th, 2024, 1:57 pm Good evening!
Certainly! Good question. :) In this project "short" means that it should fit in a single file, which we generally limit to 74 minutes.

Michael
Thanks! It is kind of cool how well you guxy communicate - it's nice and fast and helpful!
AliceStein
Ein Himmel mir und dir!
Insta:@librivox_readerette
Ayishalyu

Post by Ayishalyu »

This is my first recording in LibriVox. :D
The name I'd like to appear in the catalog is "Let’s Classics."

MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw036_changhengezhuan_chenbai_lhs_128kb.mp3
Duration: 16:08
Author: 陳鴻 Chen Hong & 白居易 Bai Juyi
Title: 長恨歌傳 Chang Hen Ge Zhuan
Language: Chinese
Text:https://zh.m.wikisource.org/wiki/%E9%95%B7%E6%81%A8%E6%AD%8C%E5%82%B3
Keywords: 楊貴妃 Yang Guifei、宮廷court、歷史 history、愛情 romance
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Ayishalyu wrote: February 8th, 2024, 2:23 am This is my first recording in LibriVox. :D
The name I'd like to appear in the catalog is "Let’s Classics."

MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw036_changhengezhuan_chenbai_lhs_128kb.mp3
Duration: 16:08
Author: 陳鴻 Chen Hong & 白居易 Bai Juyi
Title: 長恨歌傳 Chang Hen Ge Zhuan
Language: Chinese
Text:https://zh.m.wikisource.org/wiki/%E9%95%B7%E6%81%A8%E6%AD%8C%E5%82%B3
Keywords: 楊貴妃 Yang Guifei、宮廷court、歷史 history、愛情 romance
Welcome to LibriVox! :) I would be great to see more classical Chinese in this collection, but first we need to find a source that we can use. Our criteria are described in the first post of this project (#1 of the instructions):
We can only accept readings of texts that are in the public domain in the United States. Specifically, we can publish recordings made from scans of books whose title page shows a date of publication of 1928 or earlier, which can be found at Archive.org, among other sites. We can also use most sources found at Gutenberg.org (if the book page says "Public domain in the USA"). We can use Wikisource only if there is a scan available at the "Source" tab. We can accept excerpts from longer texts if they are reasonably self-contained. If you are unsure about a source, please ask us before recording it! Our contributors are also expected to verify themselves that the texts they record for LibriVox are in the public domain in their own country.
Unless I missed it, a scan of the edition transcribed at Wikisource doesn't seem to be available there. It looks like this poem available in Project Gutenberg:

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/25352

Could you check this text and verify that it matches the text you've read? If there are discrepancies that affect the meaning, we would need the recording to follow this or another source that we can use.

Thanks!
Michael
Ayishalyu

Post by Ayishalyu »

Hi Kazbek,

Thanks for your kind advice. There is a Public Domain license at bottom of the Wikisource text which I read, please scroll down and you will see: https://zh.m.wikisource.org/wiki/%E9%95%B7%E6%81%A8%E6%AD%8C%E5%82%B3
The authers Chen Honghttps://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%99%B3%E9%B4%BB_(%E5%94%90%E6%9C%9D) & Bai Juyihttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bai_Juyi were both died in 9th Centure.
Do the Public Domain license on a Wikisource text and the aouther's biography on Wikipedia are enough to you and LibriVox to accept? There are more Public Domain Chinese texts on Wikisource than on Project Gutenberg and Internet Archive, if LibriVox cannot accept the public domain license of Wikisource and the author's death dates on Wikipedia as the criteria for judgment, then Chinese works will be greatly restricted. Do you have any better advice?

The link you provide on Project Gutenberg is "Chang Hen Ge," it could be an independent work or included in "Chang Hen Ge Zhuan." Unfortunately I can't find the latter in Project Gutenberg.

Thanks!
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Ayishalyu wrote: February 8th, 2024, 8:35 pm Do the Public Domain license on a Wikisource text and the aouther's biography on Wikipedia are enough to you and LibriVox to accept? There are more Public Domain Chinese texts on Wikisource than on Project Gutenberg and Internet Archive, if LibriVox cannot accept the public domain license of Wikisource and the author's death dates on Wikipedia as the criteria for judgment, then Chinese works will be greatly restricted. Do you have any better advice?
The difficulty is that copyright law is different in different countries. LibriVox follows US law, since it's hosted on US-based servers, and that law is based on the date of publication of the book rather than on the lifespan on the author, as in most other countries. Recent editions of ancient texts are usually under copyright in the US and in the public domain elsewhere. If we don't know which edition the text was transcribed from, we can't use it. For Wikisource we need a scan, because the site itself is published under a different license. This limits our choice to Project Gutenberg and sites that host scans of old books. I believe Chinese classics are generally available in older editions, although these may be harder to find and read from.

Michael
Ayishalyu

Post by Ayishalyu »

The difficulty is that copyright law is different in different countries. LibriVox follows US law, since it's hosted on US-based servers, and that law is based on the date of publication of the book rather than on the lifespan on the author, as in most other countries. Recent editions of ancient texts are usually under copyright in the US and in the public domain elsewhere. If we don't know which edition the text was transcribed from, we can't use it. For Wikisource we need a scan, because the site itself is published under a different license. This limits our choice to Project Gutenberg and sites that host scans of old books. I believe Chinese classics are generally available in older editions, although these may be harder to find and read from.
I see. "Chang Hen Ge Zhuan" is included in "Taiping Guangji" (the title in "Taiping Guangji" was called "Chang Hen Zhuan," but the text was the same). You can see the book cover of a 1566 edition on Wikipedia. Is this enough proof for U.S. copyright law?

"Chang Hen Zhuan" is included in "Taiping Guangji", please check Chapter 486 on Wikisource: https://zh.m.wikisource.org/wiki/%E5%A4%AA%E5%B9%B3%E5%BB%A3%E8%A8%98/%E5%8D%B7%E7%AC%AC486
You can also check "Taiping Guangji" cover of a later edition in 1566 in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiping_Guangji
We can use Wikisource only if there is a scan available at the "Source" tab.
I didn't see the "Source" tab at this text or an any text I have read in Wikisource before. Libraries and archives in China and Taiwan (even public ones) are reluctant to release scans of these public domain ancient books because they rely on the licensing fees for these images. This makes it difficult for us to legally obtain or see them circulated.

Thanks for you time. I just want to understand if I use sources other than Project Gutenberg and the Internet Archive, what evidence do I need to provide to prove that they were published before 1928 in order to comply with U.S. law? Or are all of the above invalid?
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Ayishalyu wrote: February 9th, 2024, 12:05 am
I see. "Chang Hen Ge Zhuan" is included in "Taiping Guangji" (the title in "Taiping Guangji" was called "Chang Hen Zhuan," but the text was the same). You can see the book cover of a 1566 edition on Wikipedia. Is this enough proof for U.S. copyright law?

"Chang Hen Zhuan" is included in "Taiping Guangji", please check Chapter 486 on Wikisource: https://zh.m.wikisource.org/wiki/%E5%A4%AA%E5%B9%B3%E5%BB%A3%E8%A8%98/%E5%8D%B7%E7%AC%AC486
You can also check "Taiping Guangji" cover of a later edition in 1566 in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiping_Guangji
It's not enough that a public domain edition of the work exists somewhere. It actually needs to be read from for the recording. A recent edition may combine variants from multiple manuscripts in a new way, and that version of the text can be copyrigthed in the US.
I didn't see the "Source" tab at this text or an any text I have read in Wikisource before.
It's common for some languages.
Thanks for you time. I just want to understand if I use sources other than Project Gutenberg and the Internet Archive, what evidence do I need to provide to prove that they were published before 1928 in order to comply with U.S. law? Or are all of the above invalid?
We can read scans of books whose title page shows a date of publication of 1928 or earlier. A scan can come from anywhere. You could even read from a physical copy, if you scan the title page and send it to us. Two websites perform a thorough US copyright check that we trust regardless of publication date: Project Gutenberg and HathiTrust (where public domain works are in full view, but sometimes only in the US). If a website publishes a transcription from an edition that we can use, we can read from that transcription without a scan, as long as it provides exact bibliographical data about the transcribed edition and doesn't use another license (like Wikisource).

If you're unsure whether a source can be used at LibriVox, it's a good idea to ask in this thread before recording it.

Michael