COMPLETE An Old Master and Other Political Essays, by Woodrow Wilson - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

An Old Master and Other Political Essays, by Woodrow Wilson (1856 - 1924)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/old-master-and-other-political-essays-tw-wilson/
This is a collection of five essays published by Woodrow Wilson in 1893, while he was Professor of Jurisprudence at Princeton University (still known at the time of publication as The College of New Jersey). They had originally appeared in The New Princeton Review and The Atlantic Monthly. The essays included are The Old Master, The Study of Politics, Political Sovereignty, Character of Democracy in the United States, and Government Under the Constitution. (Summary by Ciufi Galeazzi)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/71776/pg71776-images.html

Target completion date: 2024-04-15

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Political Science; *Non-fiction/Education

Keywords that describe the book: education, political theory, american political history

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of An Old Master and Other Political Essays. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "An Old Master and Other Political Essays, by Woodrow Wilson. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of An Old Master and Other Political Essays, by Woodrow Wilson. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of An Old Master and Other Political Essays, by Woodrow Wilson."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: oldmaster_##_wilson_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. oldmaster_01_wilson_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: craigdav1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Lynette Caulkins has agreed to be DPL for this project, :thumbs:
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

This should be interesting :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.

Edit: I shortened the filename. Long ones can cause problems. Let me know if any changes are needed. Either of us can add extra sections if you need them.
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Thank you!
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving to Going Solo forum.
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Okay , here we go. This book will not take long to complete. I don't quite see how this first essay fits in with the rest, but nobody asked me. I found it somewhat interesting, so maybe somebody else will as well. At any rate, Chapter 1 is up.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 1 is PL OK :thumbs: But, boy - I did chuckle out loud, too, on that one :lol: Its wording was particularly giggle-some.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Okeedokee, chapt. 2 is ready for a listen. I'm thinking he could have made his point every bit as effectively using about a third of the words that I just read, but I cheerfully recognize that I am not in any position to critique Woodrow Wilson.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Ha! Well, He seems like a nice chap, but I'm not averse to agreeing with that assessment. :lol:
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Chapter 3 is up. My opinion of Wilson's writing style has not changed, though I find this chapter much more interesting. And I strongly suspect that it was a little prissy even in 1904 to use the word "peradventure" instead of perhaps or maybe. :)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Ciufi wrote: January 21st, 2024, 1:51 pm Chapter 3 is up. My opinion of Wilson's writing style has not changed, though I find this chapter much more interesting. And I strongly suspect that it was a little prissy even in 1904 to use the word "peradventure" instead of perhaps or maybe. :)
It was a good lecture to listen to. I would love - LOVE - it if our current candidates held half the intellectual capacity evidenced from this man.

But yeah, the words do entertain periodically. I mean - "effectuation"? :lol:
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Okay , chapter 4 of 5 is up. Lots of it is cringy, at least to me. :oops: I tend to think that if one knows lots of big words and can put them together impressively, one can write a lot of bs-ery and still sound like quite the sage (which got young Ciufi safely through many Blue Book exams).
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hehe :)

For me, this was my favorite of all of them so far. I actually PL'd it two days ago, and it's been rolling around in my head a LOT since then, so I had a second listen today. I'd *love* to hear a response essay from Professor Heather Cox Richardson on this. I wouldn't be surprised if she's already done it. I'll have to dig around.

Not to ignore the fact that he reveals some serious faults in completely ignoring the entire existence of the slave class in his touting American homogeneity and "freedom," along with xenophobic stance, he discusses a lot of very astute points in this one and it sounded highly applicable to today's situation. I would love to hear his take on the explosion of the Information Age and on the phenomena of the Tea Party and Trump.

I do think a lot of our current problem is the U.S. doesn't have that necessary homogeneity he speaks of. I do NOT think a successful homogeneity takes the form he is thinking of. Our problem is that, as a society, we're so stuck on differences in such things as race, religion, and gender, that we keep throwing the baby out in the bath water. Homogeneity needs to be forged upon true common ground that transcends those factors. A common ground that encompasses universal positive traits, such as common decency, respect, innovativeness, determination, willingness to work hard, cooperation, truthfulness, etc. - concepts that transcend skin color and sexual attraction.

I doubt we'll be able to hold on to our democratic republic a whole lot longer if society doesn't get over itself and start figuring that out.

And the whole "adult" concept - lololol We have such a preponderance these days of grown-up juveniles . . .

Sorry, I tried hard to keep from babbling. I told you this one got into me head! :lol: Section 4 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Yes, you make some great points!