[SCIENCE FICTION] The Onslaught from Rigel, by Fletcher Pratt - icequeen

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

The Onslaught from Rigel, by Fletcher Pratt (1897 - 1956)

Volunteers outside the USA: Fletcher Pratt died in 1956. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
“Mr. Pratt is well known for .… his excellent knowledge of warfare, and what a future war might be like. In this story he combines that knowledge with a vivid and fertile scientific imagination to construct an interplanetary story …. many scientists believe that life may originally have come to earth in the form of spores, from other solar systems and other universes. We therefore might really have had our home dim ages ago, on worlds distantly removed from our earth.

The ability to travel the interstellar spaces, however, might also be possessed by other creatures—creatures driven by fear, necessity and by the will to conquer. And if they come, in mighty waves, with scientific powers far beyond us, to dominate the earth, a terrible time will face the puny human race.

And in this story they do come, and provoke some of the strangest and most exciting adventures that have yet been recorded. (Summary excerpted from the Preface.)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/41049

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: KTCj61Dp
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher_Pratt (Fletcher Pratt)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Onslaught_from_Rigel&redirect=no
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 25
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: Yes
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1932
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: science fiction, robots, transformations, interplanetary war, survival story

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of The Onslaught from Rigel. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Onslaught from Rigel, by Fletcher Pratt. Chapter Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Onslaught from Rigel, by Fletcher Pratt."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Pronunciation tip: tetrapteryx: I suggest pronouncing it tet- (rhymes with met) rap- ter- (rhymes with tear, as in rip) icks.

Filename: onslaughtfromrigel_##_pratt_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. onslaughtfromrigel_01_pratt_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by Winnifred on February 4th, 2024, 8:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

To the kind MC who picks this up: there's a transcriber's note at the beginning that reads "This etext was produced from Wonder Stories Quarterly Winter 1932. Extensive research did not uncover any evidence that the U.S. copyright on this publication was renewed." I assume from that (and from the fact that this book is on Project Gutenberg) that this book is in the public domain.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Yes, that note does indicate that the text is PD. They do that when the date might not be PD normally, but a lot of science fiction falls into the world of needing to do a lot of research before deciding that it is or is not PD.

I can MC this one for you, Winnifred! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready! We will wait here a day or so to see if we can pick up a DPL!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Thanks, Ann. Magic Window is filled and ready for readers.

I realized, on looking through my notes again, that I did have a summary excerpted from the Preface that I meant to use, so the summary that's in there now is the finalized one.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

The official summary is paste where it needs to be pasted! Thank you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Happy to DPL if still needed!
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Cbteddy wrote: December 19th, 2023, 2:55 pm Happy to DPL if still needed!
Yes, please!

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Claire now has access to the MW! Thank you!

Off we go to Readers Wanted!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I will be away from my computer from December 23 to January 3. I can accept new claims and put them into the Magic Window while I'm away, but anything else (e.g., running submissions through the Checker) will have to wait until my return.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Let me know if you need me to do something, and I will take of it.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

icequeen wrote: December 21st, 2023, 9:20 pm Let me know if you need me to do something, and I will take of it.
Thanks, Ann.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Indianreader

Post by Indianreader »

May I claim chapter 1?
Thanks
Yoganandh
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Indianreader wrote: December 27th, 2023, 6:22 am May I claim chapter 1?
Thanks
You certainly may.

Thanks!
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

May I have section 2?
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer