[COMPLETE] The Onslaught from Rigel, by Fletcher Pratt - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
StaceyM2022

Post by StaceyM2022 »

Hi,

I will be uploading my chapter tomorrow evening.

Thanks,
Stacey
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

StaceyM2022 wrote: April 21st, 2024, 7:26 pm Hi,

I will be uploading my chapter tomorrow evening.

Thanks,
Stacey
Thanks for the update, Stacey.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
StaceyM2022

Post by StaceyM2022 »

Hi Winnifred,

Here is chapter 17. - 15:19

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_17_pratt_128kb.mp3

Thanks,
Stacey
twomustangs

Post by twomustangs »

Hello. Is it rude to ask if there is a way to politely nudge the stragglers here on our project? I'm very keen to have this one completed and out there for all to hear!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

StaceyM2022 wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 11:14 pm Hi Winnifred,

Thanks,
Stacey
Thanks, Stacey. Ready for PL.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

twomustangs wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 7:35 am Hello. Is it rude to ask if there is a way to politely nudge the stragglers here on our project? I'm very keen to have this one completed and out there for all to hear!
I sympathize. This stage of every project always feels the longest.

If it's any consolation, all chapters have now been submitted, so once Stacey's chapter has been PL'd, we'll only be waiting for two readers to submit a few corrections. Hopefully, that will happen within the next few days. There's not much else we can do right now.

I've started another Fletcher Pratt "novelet" if you're interested in reading more Pratt...

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

StaceyM2022 wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 11:14 pm Hi Winnifred,

Thanks,
Stacey
PL OK! I was wondering how Marta ended back with the Lassens. She's one tough and brave cookie!
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
StaceyM2022

Post by StaceyM2022 »

She sure is! :)
twomustangs

Post by twomustangs »

Ha ha! Not even 50s sci-fi can enliven 19th century Russian literature in my book, I'm afraid. That is not a direction one typically goes in the genre. Think I'll hold out for a different Pratt science fiction book. Maybe about potato farming on one of the moons of Jupiter or something equally as compelling. I'm thinking "Star Wars and Peace."

I did very much enjoy this story, though. Fun writing style. Can't wait 'til it's out there so all my friends can take a listen! Hurry up, slow-pokes!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

twomustangs wrote: April 25th, 2024, 8:07 am Ha ha! Not even 50s sci-fi can enliven 19th century Russian literature in my book, I'm afraid. That is not a direction one typically goes in the genre. Think I'll hold out for a different Pratt science fiction book. Maybe about potato farming on one of the moons of Jupiter or something equally as compelling. I'm thinking "Star Wars and Peace."

I did very much enjoy this story, though. Fun writing style. Can't wait 'til it's out there so all my friends can take a listen! Hurry up, slow-pokes!
There's really not much Russian literature in it. Sure, the characters are supposedly adherents of Tolstoi's personal political views (though not really), but that's all there is to it. The rest is typical Pratt. I shall have to do some hunting, as the remaining Pratt works on Gutenberg are all co-written with others. But I'll take a look at them. Extra-terrestrial potato farming, eh? Now that sounds boring to me.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Cadence1

Post by Cadence1 »

AdamP

Post by AdamP »

Cbteddy wrote: April 15th, 2024, 5:49 pm
AdamP wrote: April 13th, 2024, 1:06 pm
Cbteddy wrote: April 5th, 2024, 5:25 am

Hello Adam! Can you please re-upload the corrected section (with the volume in an acceptable range) with the correct file name? Once that is corrected, I'm happy to queue for proof listening and provide any feedback as needed.
One more time for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_21_pratt_128kb.mp3
Hello Adam! Welcome to Librivox, and congrats on your first recording! I enjoyed your pacing and the voices for the characters were quite amusing.

There are just a few edits needed. I've listed the approximate times where they fall within the recording, and have listed them from ending to beginning. If you make the updates in this order (end to beginning) the timing should align as changes are made. Once any updates are made, please re-upload the file (under the same file name) and post the new time and link in this thread so we can do a quick spot check.

Around 6:27 - repeat of "And since the earth is building up a lot of negative potential all the time, all you have to do is get your bird between you and the earth and then let go at him?" (I believe it's the second version you meant to keep in since it's in the right voice for the character that you're using).
Around 6:12 - omitted "See?" "...after the left-over positives till she grunts. See?"
Around 4:33 - omitted "into positive and negative charges." from "...we've been breaking up the atoms of lead into positive and negative charges." (I think you accidentally skipped to the next line, which is very similar in phrasing).

Consideration for future recordings - There does appear to be some clipping throughout your audio. If you look at your audio file, there are probably spikes that may flatten out towards the top, which means your audio can sound distorted. This can happen when you are a bit too close to the mic, or when you increase the volume of your voice. I would recommend to reduce the input volume for future recordings. There is a slider that looks like a mic on the right hand side at the top of the audacity screen. Or, you could also be a bit further away from the microphone so as your voice increases, it won't go over any audio thresholds.

Thanks!
Ok, thanks sorry for the delay I've been traveling. I'll look at it tomorrow.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Cbteddy wrote: April 21st, 2024, 6:58 pm Around 10:55 - heard "but he mentioned them wordlessly on" should be "but he motioned them wordlessly on"
Around 10:28 - longer pause during "without deigning to reply to this protest," (also, it's day-ning if you'd like to correct that pronunciation when you re-record that line)
Around 6:15 - stumble during "Thought I asked you two to go with the boys for some coal,"
Cadence1 wrote: April 25th, 2024, 12:17 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_03_pratt_128kb.mp3

I actually remembered lol. :D
Well, you remembered the link, but not the length of recording, so that's half-marks. (It's 12:16). We need both.

Ready for spot PL.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Cadence1 wrote: April 25th, 2024, 12:17 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_03_pratt_128kb.mp3

I actually remembered lol. :D
Hello Cadence1. Can you please double check to make sure you've uploaded your file that contains the edits? I started listening to the file from this afternoon, and the exact same edits still need to be completed. Hopefully you've just uploaded an older version of your recording by accident?
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
Cadence1

Post by Cadence1 »

I will check tomorrow. And Half marks are better than no marks