[SCIENCE FICTION] The Onslaught from Rigel, by Fletcher Pratt - icequeen

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Cadence1 wrote: April 6th, 2024, 8:20 pm Copy that push comes to shove can record a new one if need be,LOL.
That’s not necessary. The changes are minimal, so no need to make the DPL listen to the whole recording again. Plus, there’s no guarantee that you won’t have new things to fix in a new recording. It’s best if you put in the effort now to learn how to edit. It gets easier every time you do it.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Welcome back Winnifred! :)
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Cbteddy wrote: April 7th, 2024, 6:59 am Welcome back Winnifred! :)
Thanks, Claire. Good to be back.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
joeffl

Post by joeffl »

Cbteddy wrote: April 6th, 2024, 6:46 am
joeffl wrote: April 4th, 2024, 5:12 pm Chapter 19

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_19_pratt_128kb.mp3

15:44

Thank you!
Winnifred - File came back OK from Checker.

Hi Joe! Welcome to Librivox and congrats on your first recording. Your style is very engaging and enthusiastic! The content itself was wonderfully read, but I do have one edit that is needed.

Ending - After saying "End of Chapter 19" please leave 5 seconds of silence. Currently it's closer to 15 seconds, so I just need you to cut that down.

Once edited, please re-upload the file, under the same file name, and post in the thread so I can do a quick spot check. Please also post the new run time as well.

Thanks!
Hello,

Chapter 19 revised file uploaded. New time 15:32. Thank you!

Joe
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

joeffl wrote: April 7th, 2024, 2:40 pm
Hi Joe! Welcome to Librivox and congrats on your first recording. Your style is very engaging and enthusiastic! The content itself was wonderfully read, but I do have one edit that is needed.

Ending - After saying "End of Chapter 19" please leave 5 seconds of silence. Currently it's closer to 15 seconds, so I just need you to cut that down.

Once edited, please re-upload the file, under the same file name, and post in the thread so I can do a quick spot check. Please also post the new run time as well.

Thanks!
Hello,

Joe
Thanks. Ready for spot PL.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

joeffl wrote: April 7th, 2024, 2:40 pm
joeffl wrote: April 4th, 2024, 5:12 pm Chapter 19

15:44

Thank you!
Winnifred - File came back OK from Checker.

Thanks!
Hello,

Joe
Spot PL OK!
Cheers,
Claire

~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
Cadence1

Post by Cadence1 »

Sorry had to record again, need to find links in how to edit. Hopefully this time is better.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Cadence1 wrote: April 9th, 2024, 9:51 am Sorry had to record again, need to find links in how to edit. Hopefully this time is better.
Where’s your link and recording length? Just telling us you’ve done it is not good enough. Please provide the full information, as instructed earlier.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Cadence1 wrote: April 9th, 2024, 9:51 am Sorry had to record again, need to find links in how to edit. Hopefully this time is better.
I have once again asked our MC for the file you uploaded, so we can now move ahead with the PL. Please remember in future to provide the link and the length of your recording so we don't have to go hunting for it.

Claire, you'll need to PL this again as Cadence1 has submitted a new recording.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello Cadence1,

There are a few edits that need to be made with the new file. I've outlined the times on the recording, so hopefully you can locate them and make those edits to the same file. It should take much less time to edit, since most of these are corrections you already made within the recording itself.

Ending - After the ending there should be 5 seconds of silence. Please add 4 more seconds of silence, as there is only about 1 second currently.
Around 10:28 - stumble during "without deigning to reply to this protest," (also, it's day-ning if you'd like to correct that pronunciation when you re-record that line)
Around 10:12 - stumble during "Stevens took this statement..." (just need to delete "look" because you went back and said took)
Around 9:34 - stumble during "If I let you go and give you a car and a couple of batteries,"
Around 8:08 - stumble during "Murray leaped across his prostrate body,"
Around 6:18 - stumble during "Thought I asked you two to go with the boys for some coal,"
Around 4:07 - repeat of "she" in "where she had incautiously drunk water;"
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
AdamP

Post by AdamP »

Cbteddy wrote: April 5th, 2024, 5:25 am
AdamP wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 9:37 am
Winnifred wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 11:07 am

Thanks, Adam. Just one correction needed before proof listening.

I ran your chapter through the Checker, which tells me that the volume is too high, at 94.8 dB. There's an easy fix for that in Audacity: Select the entire track, then click "Effect > Loudness Normalization," set to -19LUFS and "perceived loudness," then click "Apply." That will bring the volume down to 89-90 dB. Then re-export your file to MP3 and reupload it.

Thanks,
New version of Chapter 21 ready for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaught_chapter_21.mp3 (19:31)
Hello Adam! Can you please re-upload the corrected section (with the volume in an acceptable range) with the correct file name? Once that is corrected, I'm happy to queue for proof listening and provide any feedback as needed.
One more time for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_21_pratt_128kb.mp3
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

AdamP wrote: April 13th, 2024, 1:06 pm
Cbteddy wrote: April 5th, 2024, 5:25 am
AdamP wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 9:37 am

New version of Chapter 21 ready for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaught_chapter_21.mp3 (19:31)
Hello Adam! Can you please re-upload the corrected section (with the volume in an acceptable range) with the correct file name? Once that is corrected, I'm happy to queue for proof listening and provide any feedback as needed.
One more time for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_21_pratt_128kb.mp3
Thanks, Adam. Ready for PL.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
StaceyM2022

Post by StaceyM2022 »

Hi Winnifred,

May I claim a one-week extension?

Thanks,
Stacey
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

StaceyM2022 wrote: April 13th, 2024, 1:45 pm Hi Winnifred,

May I claim a one-week extension?

Thanks,
Stacey
Yes, of course. You've got it.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Chapter 9 has been reopened for claims.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted: