[SOLO] The Birth of Yugoslavia, Volume 2 by Henry Baerlein - kaz

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
EastCentralMinnesota

Post by EastCentralMinnesota »

The Birth of Yugoslavia, Volume 2, by Henry Baerlein (1875 - 1960)

Volunteers outside the USA: Henry Baerlein died in 1960. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
Henry Baerlein expands on his articles first published in the Fortnightly Review to explain the historical context and challenges facing Yugoslavia, a multi-ethnic country located in southeastern Europe that was formed immediately after World War I as the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes – and which disintegrated in 1992 and is now in present-day (2024) parts of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Republic of Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia, and Slovenia. (Summary by Keith Marohn)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.$b57466&seq=1

Target completion date: 2024-12-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Birth of Yugoslavia, Volume 2. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Birth of Yugoslavia, Volume 2, by Henry Baerlein. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Birth of Yugoslavia, Volume 2, by Henry Baerlein. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Birth of Yugoslavia, Volume 2, by Henry Baerlein."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: birthyugoslavia2_##_baerlein_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. birthyugoslavia2_01_baerlein_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kazbek

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
vviera

Post by vviera »

Hello, EastCentral! I grew up just over the river in West Central Wisconsin! By LaCrosse. Just wanted to pop in and say hi when I saw your username.
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Keith, the MW is up and hello from South-Central Wisconsin. :) I've shortened the filename similarly to the first volume. We'll stay on the launchpad for a couple of days to see if we can find a DPL.

Michael
EastCentralMinnesota

vviera wrote: December 18th, 2023, 7:27 am Hello, EastCentral! I grew up just over the river in West Central Wisconsin! By LaCrosse. Just wanted to pop in and say hi when I saw your username.
Hello from across the river. If you are interested in helping as a DPL, please let me know. I just completed my first solo and am learning as I go along. This book is the second and final volume in this set and covers chapters 6-9. If you listen to the Birth of Yugoslavia Volume I, sections 19-21, you can get an idea of my current skill and the type of information being presented. Volume 2 is about 400 pages, or about 30% longer than Volume 1. That book took me about a year to complete. I am not particularly fast at this, and life always seems to be busy. (I have six kids and run a business as a Telecom Consultant, primarily advising hospitals and clinics.)
EastCentralMinnesota

Kazbek wrote: December 18th, 2023, 10:21 am Keith, the MW is up and hello from South-Central Wisconsin. :) I've shortened the filename similarly to the first volume. We'll stay on the launchpad for a couple of days to see if we can find a DPL.

Michael
Thank you, Michael. I appreciate it.
vviera

Post by vviera »

EastCentralMinnesota wrote: December 18th, 2023, 3:08 pm
vviera wrote: December 18th, 2023, 7:27 am Hello, EastCentral! I grew up just over the river in West Central Wisconsin! By LaCrosse. Just wanted to pop in and say hi when I saw your username.
Hello from across the river. If you are interested in helping as a DPL, please let me know. I just completed my first solo and am learning as I go along. This book is the second and final volume in this set and covers chapters 6-9. If you listen to the Birth of Yugoslavia Volume I, sections 19-21, you can get an idea of my current skill and the type of information being presented. Volume 2 is about 400 pages, or about 30% longer than Volume 1. That book took me about a year to complete. I am not particularly fast at this, and life always seems to be busy. (I have six kids and run a business as a Telecom Consultant, primarily advising hospitals and clinics.)
Hi there - I have a lot of DPL projects already, and this one isn't for me. I'm sure someone will come along. All the best!
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

I would love to DPL for you, if you don't mind that I'm on the slower side until after New Years! This looks interesting. I'll have to run Vol. 1 during all my chores the next few days to get that part of the info!
~Lynette * - no computer access until Friday or Saturday
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Moving to Going Solo.
EastCentralMinnesota

LCaulkins wrote: December 19th, 2023, 4:23 pm I would love to DPL for you, if you don't mind that I'm on the slower side until after New Years! This looks interesting. I'll have to run Vol. 1 during all my chores the next few days to get that part of the info!
I'm glad to have you helping. Thank you.

Don't worry about speed. I am not that fast myself. The first section should be a little under an hour, and I intend to have it ready by mid January.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

perfect timing for me :)
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Lynette, you now have access to the MW.

Michael
EastCentralMinnesota

Section 1 is ready for PL. Duration 58:11

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/birthyugoslavia2_01_baerlein_128Kb.mp3

Chapter VI is about 200 pages - about half the book. It looks like it will run about 7.5 - 8.5 hours in length. I plan to break it into 8-9 sections of near one hour each. I expect to have section 2 ready for PL in about 2-3 weeks time (around Feb 4-11).

Critical feedback is always welcome and appreciated. I am learning and trying to improve, figuring out what works and what doesn't.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hi Keith, Section 1 is PL OK :thumbs:

Got a good laugh at Baerlein's wry humor regarding Hilaire Belloc.

I don't have any critical input, as this sounded excellent. Your diction is perfectly clear, pacing is very easy to listen and fully comprehend, voice quality is sonorous without any background noise invasions. Nicely done all around!

And actually, my mic is starting to act up these days, and I'll be shopping for a new one at some point soon. Do you mind sharing what you use?
EastCentralMinnesota

LCaulkins wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 1:13 pm Hi Keith, Section 1 is PL OK :thumbs: ... Do you mind sharing what you use?
Wonderful. Thank you. The detailed feedback is appreciated.

During the first half of Volume I, I was using a Maono USB microphone. I switched to a Sennheiser 416 in the middle of Volume I with a Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre interface (A Business Expense). I use Reaper for editing and the suite of izotope plugins for de-ess (I have a slight lisp) and for de-click (a caffeine habit). For section 1-2 of volume II, I recorded in a very noisy environment, but well treated for reflections. I was about a closed fist distance away from the mic, which was just far enough to not make it sound too bass, but allowed the shotgun mic to do its thing and cut out the background noise. I just moved into a new place with my son these past weeks. It's much quieter. But, I am still working on sound treatment as I make final edits to section 2 and try to get everything to blend. I'll stick with my Sennheiser, but a cardioid microphone would probably work better in this quieter space. I found the Booth Junkie a great source when trying to find the perfect Mic. I have provided links below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAAF4YG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GQT8879/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHHf1h8k7MA6-AG8FXjnQSw
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thank you very much for the links