[SOLO] The Birth of Yugoslavia, Volume 2 by Henry Baerlein - kaz

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
EastCentralMinnesota

Post by EastCentralMinnesota »

Section #2 is ready for PL. Duration 55:56

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/birthyugoslavia2_02_baerlein_128kb.mp3

Section #3 is on track to be ready between Feb 17-25.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 2 is PL OK :thumbs: Another nice recording.

Hey, do you mind if I ask what accent influences I'm hearing in your voice? I recognize common linguistic features with other Wisconsin readers, but I'm hearing additional influences. I love different accents.
~Lynette * - no computer access until Friday or Saturday
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
EastCentralMinnesota

LCaulkins wrote: February 6th, 2024, 1:27 pm Section 2 is PL OK :thumbs: Another nice recording.
Thank you.
LCaulkins wrote: February 6th, 2024, 1:27 pm ... what accent influences I'm hearing in your voice?
-- Central Minnesota is primary German, Swedish, and Norwegian. The smaller towns where I have lived have kept their native twang (unlike the bigger cities where it seems to have disappeared). If you ever watch the movie "Fargo" - that's how small Swedish towns still talk. But I have also worked all over the world. You may be hearing bits and pieces of influence from Ottawa, Manhattan, London, and Lower Saxony. In the foreign languages, I am mostly relying on YouTube and Google Translate to replicate sounds. I had four years of classical Latin and as much Russian in school, some German when I was just a kid, but I do not know a bit of French, Greek, Italian, Serbian, Croatian, which are all in this book. I was proof listening to section #3 today. I cringed hearing a Croatian sentence intonated as if it were Swedish. My German ancestors are probably rolling in their graves. Hopefully, my accent is not too noticeable.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

EastCentralMinnesota wrote: February 6th, 2024, 11:51 pm
-- Central Minnesota is primary German, Swedish, and Norwegian. The smaller towns where I have lived have kept their native twang (unlike the bigger cities where it seems to have disappeared). If you ever watch the movie "Fargo" - that's how small Swedish towns still talk. But I have also worked all over the world. You may be hearing bits and pieces of influence from Ottawa, Manhattan, London, and Lower Saxony. In the foreign languages, I am mostly relying on YouTube and Google Translate to replicate sounds. I had four years of classical Latin and as much Russian in school, some German when I was just a kid, but I do not know a bit of French, Greek, Italian, Serbian, Croatian, which are all in this book. I was proof listening to section #3 today. I cringed hearing a Croatian sentence intonated as if it were Swedish. My German ancestors are probably rolling in their graves. Hopefully, my accent is not too noticeable.
I imagine it's the Lower Saxony influence that I'm hearing and not placing. :)

And no, it is not a noticeable accent. I don't think anyone would hear what I was referring to unless they're tuned in to very subtle nuances. Your reading is very pleasant to listen to.
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
EastCentralMinnesota

Section #3 is ready for PL. Duration 56:14

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/birthyugoslavia2_03_baerlein_128kb.mp3

The section #4 should be ready between March 2-10.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hello, Keith Section 3 is PL OK :thumbs:

This is a terrific recording, as always, and so very engagingly read. I did want to let you know I heard some plosives in the bass level once in a while. On t's more than p's, actually. Nowhere near enough to address on this section, and honestly, I don't think 95% of listeners would even hear them. My ears are just fine-tuned to details. I was wondering if you'd ever played with positioning the mic to the corner of the mouth instead of directly in front? I love the richness of sound that comes from the close mic position, so I've been looking for ways to mitigate the downsides of that in my own recordings.

And let me repeat how very, very low-key these plosives were - there is zero distraction at all. I just remember that you'd asked for constructive input
EastCentralMinnesota

LCaulkins wrote: February 21st, 2024, 2:28 pm ...I heard some plosives in the bass level once in a while. On t's more than p's, actually. .. I was wondering if you'd ever played with positioning the mic to the corner of the mouth instead of directly in front? I love the richness of sound that comes from the close mic position, so I've been looking for ways to mitigate the downsides of that in my own recordings.
WONDERFUL Feedback. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you.

I think I shared that I moved into a new space in mid January. Room acoustics are just a little different and I am still playing around trying to find THE sweet spot. I have noticed my ess's are harder, and so have been working on mic positioning for that problem, and trying to mask it with the de-esser. I have the same mic, same boom arm, same desk. Something must have shifted; I haven't quite figured out the best angle yet. I am close to my mic (only a closed fist distant from the end of the shotgun or open fist distant from the actual condenser). The mic is positioned above and slightly to the side of me, aimed slightly downward. I have been adjusting microphone levels down to eliminate the plosives. I usually begin each recording session with Peter Piper, Betty Botter, or other similar tongue twisters to check plosive levels. It will sound fine; Minnesotans don't get too worked up in normal speech. And then... I become a Candid Frenchman or an Italian responding with a quip. Everything lights up red like Christmas. I turn down the levels and reset it it to green. Lay off the emotions a tad and then begin take 2, 3, 4... I'm glad you said, "I don't think 95% of listeners would even hear them." I did not reach 0db on the final takes, but there were some spots registering in at -0.2db. I'll try to keep an eye out as I record section #5 and edit #4.

Please keep the feedback coming. That is exactly what I am looking for.
EastCentralMinnesota

Just a quick update on section #4....

Section #4 is NOT yet ready. I expect to submit it March 9-10. It will be about 56-57 minutes duration.

I am still working out a significant number of edits: Italian poetry, French quotes, plosives, and a faint whistle introduced through my normal noise reduction filter. Ugh!

That likely means section #5 to be coming out near the end of the month.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

I'll be here :)
EastCentralMinnesota

Section #4 is ready for PL. Duration 59:41

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/birthyugoslavia2_04_baerlein_128kb.mp3

Section #5 should be ready about the end of March.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 4 is PL OK :thumbs:
EastCentralMinnesota

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

I queued this last night. My readers were all busy yesterday, so it may be a day or two.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 5 is PL OK :thumbs:

(Michael, you make this job so easy! Plus, I find Baerlein's work highly fascinating. Enjoyed listening to your vol.1, and am very glad to be proofing vol.2 for you)
EastCentralMinnesota

LCaulkins wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 9:05 pm Enjoyed listening to your vol.1, and am very glad to be proofing vol.2 for you
Happy to hear. This is an area of history not widely known in the West, which is why I chose it.

Thank you for proofing my work.