COMPLETE Betty Wales Freshman by Margaret Warde - rr

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
thechapterbrook

Post by thechapterbrook »

Betty Wales Freshman, by Margaret Warde (1875 -1944 )

This audio book is now complete. All audio files can be found in our catalog:
https://librivox.org/betty-wales-freshman-by-margaret-warde-2/

Betty Wales begins her time at Harding College. Her freshman year entails many misadventures. Betty Wales was a popular novel series that inspired a popular line of clothing. Many dresses came with a free book. (Summary by thechapterbrook)
Source text: Physical copy
Source for PL: https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/31387

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Betty Wales Freshman. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Betty Wales Freshman, by Margaret Warde. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Betty Wales Freshman, by Margaret Warde. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Betty Wales Freshman, by Margaret Warde."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: bettywalesfreshman_##_warde_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. bettywalesfreshman_01_warde_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: redrun

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

I can DPL if you need one.

Thanks,
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Before you start on a solo you need to have at least provided a 1-minute test - this is not an audition , it just making sure that when you provide a "live" file it can be used - all our files are hosted by Internet Archive and they provide a number of different formats to enable future listeners with options.
The instructions are in your welcome email, the guides for listeners & volunteers in the wiki and in the first post of this forum.

Anne
just fyi - This will be version 2 in our catalogue - we accept a choice of voice but some people prefer to enlarge the range of books.

added also fyi
When I looked there are all these available as Etexts https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?query=betty+wales&submit_search=Go%21 that we do not have and series are popular with listeners.
thechapterbrook

mleigh wrote: December 17th, 2023, 8:44 pm I can DPL if you need one.

Thanks,
Thank you so much! I would be very appreciative! I will be posting the recordings soon!
thechapterbrook

annise wrote: December 17th, 2023, 10:09 pm Before you start on a solo you need to have at least provided a 1-minute test - this is not an audition , it just making sure that when you provide a "live" file it can be used - all our files are hosted by Internet Archive and they provide a number of different formats to enable future listeners with options.
The instructions are in your welcome email, the guides for listeners & volunteers in the wiki and in the first post of this forum.

Anne
just fyi - This will be version 2 in our catalogue - we accept a choice of voice but some people prefer to enlarge the range of books.

added also fyi
When I looked there are all these available as Etexts https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?query=betty+wales&submit_search=Go%21 that we do not have and series are popular with listeners.
Thank you so much! I adore the Betty Wales series and am going to make it a goal to record the whole series! Thank you for your help!
thechapterbrook

Hello!
I have completed all my recordings and am ready to have my project moved to the launch pad so I can upload the files. Can you please assist me in doing so and obtaining an MC?
Thank you so much!
thechapterbrook
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moved to the Launch Pad. I won't be MC'ing since I have a full plate for now. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
thechapterbrook

TriciaG wrote: February 4th, 2024, 6:03 pm Moved to the Launch Pad. I won't be MC'ing since I have a full plate for now. :)
Thank you so much!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

But I've just had an opening, so I'll be glad to join you! Most folks have already seen things done by the time they start their own projects, so forgive me if I explain too much, and ask if I explain too little!

I've added our "Magic Window" into the middle of your first post. As the "solo" reader on this project, you are also the Book Coordinator. This means you'll be responsible for filling in the rest of the chapter titles (I put some in to demonstrate), and then, as you upload your reading for each chapter, entering the link and duration in as well.

In order to update the Magic Window, you'll need to set up an account on our back-end system. Your username will be the same as your forum username, but it has its own password. You can find detailed instructions here:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window#Accessing_the_System_%E2%80%93_First_Time_Login

Once you've got the account set up, you can get there again at any time by clicking the 'BC Admin' link inside your first post, just below the Magic Window.

- You'll find instructions for intros and for uploading, in the first post.
- Instructions for updating the Magic Window are in the wiki link above.
- When you update the Magic Window, you'll also want to post here in the thread, so folks know what has changed. :wink:
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

thechapterbrook wrote: February 4th, 2024, 3:19 pm
mleigh wrote: December 17th, 2023, 8:44 pm I can DPL if you need one.

Thanks,
Thank you so much! I would be very appreciative! I will be posting the recordings soon!
Looking forward to it.

M
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Thanks for the reminder, M, I've added you as DPL. :thumbs:
thechapterbrook

redrun wrote: February 5th, 2024, 9:43 pm But I've just had an opening, so I'll be glad to join you! Most folks have already seen things done by the time they start their own projects, so forgive me if I explain too much, and ask if I explain too little!

I've added our "Magic Window" into the middle of your first post. As the "solo" reader on this project, you are also the Book Coordinator. This means you'll be responsible for filling in the rest of the chapter titles (I put some in to demonstrate), and then, as you upload your reading for each chapter, entering the link and duration in as well.

In order to update the Magic Window, you'll need to set up an account on our back-end system. Your username will be the same as your forum username, but it has its own password. You can find detailed instructions here:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window#Accessing_the_System_%E2%80%93_First_Time_Login

Once you've got the account set up, you can get there again at any time by clicking the 'BC Admin' link inside your first post, just below the Magic Window.

- When you update the Magic Window, you'll also want to post here in the thread, so folks know what has changed. :wink:
Thank you so much! Thanks for all the help!
thechapterbrook

redrun wrote: February 5th, 2024, 9:43 pm But I've just had an opening, so I'll be glad to join you! Most folks have already seen things done by the time they start their own projects, so forgive me if I explain too much, and ask if I explain too little!

Hello! I have searched around a bit and have been unsuccessful. How do I alter the magic window to have a section 00 for the Introduction? I know how to add a section and that when I move it will automatically renumber but how do I set it start from 00 so the sections match the chapter numbers? Thanks for the help!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

thechapterbrook wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:36 pm Hello! I have searched around a bit and have been unsuccessful. How do I alter the magic window to have a section 00 for the Introduction? I know how to add a section and that when I move it will automatically renumber but how do I set it start from 00 so the sections match the chapter numbers? Thanks for the help!
That's something I can do for you, as the MC. (I can also delete any extra sections, if needed. Just let me know.)

But I should ask: are we looking at the same book? The Gutenberg text linked doesn't seem to have an introduction at all - just the table of contents, and straight to chapter 1.
If you were hoping to include an introduction of your own, that kind of thing will need to go in the project description. Aside from the LV intro and "End of...", we don't include anything in the audio that isn't printed in the edition of the book we're using as our source. We also don't usually read the publisher/copyright page or the table of contents, if that makes a difference to you.
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
thechapterbrook

redrun wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:43 pm
thechapterbrook wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:36 pm Hello! I have searched around a bit and have been unsuccessful. How do I alter the magic window to have a section 00 for the Introduction? I know how to add a section and that when I move it will automatically renumber but how do I set it start from 00 so the sections match the chapter numbers? Thanks for the help!
That's something I can do for you, as the MC. (I can also delete any extra sections, if needed. Just let me know.)

But I should ask: are we looking at the same book? The Gutenberg text linked doesn't seem to have an introduction at all - just the table of contents, and straight to chapter 1.
If you were hoping to include an introduction of your own, that kind of thing will need to go in the project description. Aside from the LV intro and "End of...", we don't include anything in the audio that isn't printed in the edition of the book we're using as our source. We also don't usually read the publisher/copyright page or the table of contents, if that makes a difference to you.
Interesting! I have the physical copy and read the introduction from that. The rest of the novel matches the same. Should I not include the introduction? It is a charming few paragraphs by Margret Ward about Betty and her friends. Thanks for the help!