What happens next?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
IonaMuirgel2002

Post by IonaMuirgel2002 »

If I find a project I want to help read, who has to approve it before I can start recording? And how will they give me the ok to start? Adding to the first question, where, how, and who do I ask?

Thanks- Iona
"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight."
-Phyllis Diller

"There’s nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer.” – Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle 8-)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Welcome.
You would have an email that gets you started, if it isn't available just click on the Guides for Listeners and Volunteers in our wiki - linked in the heading,
Briefly - you need to record the "1 minute test" and upload it and post in the "post your 1 minute test forum and someone will check it and help you fix anything technical that would stop us using your recordings.

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I notice you are keen on dramatic readings - they do require some experience before you can start one - they are tricky and tend to take a long time so it's a big commitment of time and patience.
But you will be able to join any open ones, once they know your files will be technically compatible.

Anne
IonaMuirgel2002

Post by IonaMuirgel2002 »

Thanks for your help Anne!

Iona
"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight."
-Phyllis Diller

"There’s nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer.” – Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle 8-)
loon

Post by loon »

But there are also (usually) smaller parts in dramatic readings - perhaps just a couple lines in one chapter. That can be one way to get involved and see how the process works.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Yes indeed! Lots of ways to help out, learn how things work (and how much work they are), to get you some experience.

Anything you want to do yourself, I say: be a helper for someone who's doing it. Best way to learn. We have plays and DRs that need bit parts read (usually I link to one or two of those in my signature), we have others that need help catching up on reader submissions, making sure all the lines are correct before they go to edit, and there are even a few that need help editing.

We also have our One-Act Play and DR Scene & Story collections, where you could have a go at running your own shorter project before you're ready for a whole book. It's still a lot of work, and you'll see whether being responsible for the completion of such a project is "for you". :wink:
On the go this weekend! Will catch Monday if I'm not able to do things on mobile. :wink: