Is this audio acceptable(background noise)

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
emmacharliebrowning

Post by emmacharliebrowning »

Dear Librivoxers,

I have noise reduced this twice. I am not sure if there are other things I can do as new have settings appeared in audacity since I last used it(like noise repair)? It has passed the checker but I am not sure if there is still too much background noise?

The sound is strong wind, but if that wasn't there it would be traffic hum and I want to record soon. In an old house where there is little I can do sound insulate.

https://whyp.it/tracks/142767/rosetti-goblinmarket?token=HpMbm

Many thanks for any help/suggestions
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Background noise is something I'm not qualified to check by ear. :lol:
I have to use Checker for it (I believe it checks based on the 5 seconds of silence at the end):
https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/

Since you're testing out a new setup, you might consider uploading another 1-minute test to get this kind of opinion:
viewforum.php?f=21

It's not just for newbies, it's for anyone to get a second opinion on their recording setup. :D
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I tried to run the Checker on your file, but it's not an MP3 file, so I can't do anything but listen to it (downloading doesn't work either, as it's on a site that's password protected). Redrun's advice is probably best (upload another 1-minute test).

I also record in a noisy space (next to a refrigerator that turns on and off randomly), and I generally just noise reduce once or twice to eliminate most of the background noise. If the background noise is steady, that should take care of most of it.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
emmacharliebrowning

redrun wrote: December 10th, 2023, 8:48 am Background noise is something I'm not qualified to check by ear. :lol:
I have to use Checker for it (I believe it checks based on the 5 seconds of silence at the end):
https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/

Since you're testing out a new setup, you might consider uploading another 1-minute test to get this kind of opinion:
viewforum.php?f=21

It's not just for newbies, it's for anyone to get a second opinion on their recording setup. :D
Thanks I didn’t know I could upload a second one minute test!
Also didn’t know checker could check background noise - I have the green tick one from a few years ago and the proof listener always told me about noise! That would be useful though!
emmacharliebrowning

Winnifred wrote: December 10th, 2023, 12:35 pm I tried to run the Checker on your file, but it's not an MP3 file, so I can't do anything but listen to it (downloading doesn't work either, as it's on a site that's password protected). Redrun's advice is probably best (upload another 1-minute test).

I also record in a noisy space (next to a refrigerator that turns on and off randomly), and I generally just noise reduce once or twice to eliminate most of the background noise. If the background noise is steady, that should take care of most of it.

Cheers,
Thanks. I didn’t know where to upload audio files (outside librivox projects) and that was the first free site! I will do a new one min test now though.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

emmacharliebrowning wrote: December 10th, 2023, 1:04 pm Also didn’t know checker could check background noise - I have the green tick one from a few years ago and the proof listener always told me about noise! That would be useful though!
You just have to adjust one Checker setting to get that, however. Under “Validation > Choose Validation Methods,” tick the box for “Background Noise” and the Checker will give you background noise levels for all subsequent recordings you put into it (the default setting doesn’t have this box selected, so that’s why many people don’t know you can get this).

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
emmacharliebrowning

Winnifred wrote: December 10th, 2023, 1:17 pm
emmacharliebrowning wrote: December 10th, 2023, 1:04 pm Also didn’t know checker could check background noise - I have the green tick one from a few years ago and the proof listener always told me about noise! That would be useful though!
You just have to adjust one Checker setting to get that, however. Under “Validation > Choose Validation Methods,” tick the box for “Background Noise” and the Checker will give you background noise levels for all subsequent recordings you put into it (the default setting doesn’t have this box selected, so that’s why many people don’t know you can get this).

Cheers,
Very interesting, thanks