Post by Cbteddy »

Alister wrote: January 5th, 2024, 7:20 pm
Cbteddy wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 4:20 pm
Awesome! Spot PL OK!
Good, Good :)

Here is Section 02.

Length 27:15

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/seapowerinthepacific_02_bywater_128kb.mp3
Another great reading Alister! I really enjoy how you make the quoted sections quite distinct from the standard parts of the passages!

Just one area to edit:

Around 17:02 - missing the section in bold:
"In proceeding this day to the signature of a treaty of commerce and navigation, the undersigned has the honor to declare that the Imperial Japanese government..."
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
Alister

Post by Alister »

Replacement is uploading, new length 27:19 :D

seapowerinthepacific_02_bywater_128kb.mp3
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Spot PL OK!
Cheers,
Claire

~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
Alister

Post by Alister »

These names are worth using more modern pronunciations, either because their recognition to a Western ear is tied to their more modern transliterations, or because they have little familiarity, then and now. I'll add to this list as I go.

Fuhkien --> Fujian
Kiukiang --> Jiujiang
Chaochou--> Chaozhou (chau·jow)

I've omitted a couple of words around 10:45. I think it was... (he wrote) ...since they are differentiated enclosed in brackets rather than ordinary text, and, since I'm reading the quote in a different voice, they are a little redundant. I also didn't read that foot note with the source.

I may read the book he quoted some day though (also public domain). Putnam Weale was apparently assassinated under mysterious circumstances in the 1930!
Alister

Post by Alister »

Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Alister wrote: January 15th, 2024, 8:15 am Section 3 completed :) :thumbs:

Length 33:24

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/seapowerinthepacific_03_bywater_128kb.mp3
Hello Alister! Great reading as always. Just a few items:

Around 19:49 - heard "since its inception in 1819...." should be "since its inception in 1890..."
Around 11:49 - heard "and no small wonder if the Chinese..." should be "and small wonder if the Chinese..."
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Alister

Post by Alister »

Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Alister wrote: January 26th, 2024, 5:46 am Thanks Claire :)

Ready for Spot PL

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/seapowerinthepacific_03_bywater_128kb.mp3
Spot PL OK!
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Alister

Post by Alister »

Here we go Claire,

More than a few lists in this section. Hopefully it doesn't descend to insomnia-cure levels.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/seapowerinthepacific_04_bywater_128kb.mp3

Section 4 > 35:59
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Alister wrote: January 28th, 2024, 7:24 am Here we go Claire,

More than a few lists in this section. Hopefully it doesn't descend to insomnia-cure levels.

Section 4 > 35:59
Hi Alister!

No napping so far. It's quite interesting to hear the background about how the navy got built up! Just one area to fix please.

Around 21:15 - The section you read as a footnote is actually part of the text. The footnote should just be "Since renamed the Rochester". Therefore, you're also missing the paragraph starting with "In other cruisers...." through "...from Hampton Roads to Charleston:" (then comes the section you originally read as a footnote).
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Alister

Post by Alister »

That was very sneaky of the type-setters to change the fontstyle right down around where the foot-note would be !

They got me good.

I recorded the missing section and re-recorded the quote as a quote. I used the opportunity to try out my 'new' microphone which arrived yesterday. A lovely little bakelite piece from the 50s. But it is a conference-style mic so will take some getting used to.

New length 36:37

Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Alister wrote: January 30th, 2024, 8:09 am That was very sneaky of the type-setters to change the fontstyle right down around where the foot-note would be !

They got me good.

I recorded the missing section and re-recorded the quote as a quote. I used the opportunity to try out my 'new' microphone which arrived yesterday. A lovely little bakelite piece from the 50s. But it is a conference-style mic so will take some getting used to.

Super sneaky with the font change. If you used your new mic on the edits, it sounds great! Just one last thing for this section.

Around 22:20 - omitted "She was seen to be rolling frightfully." after "their attention was diverted to the battleship Indiana."
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Alister

Post by Alister »

Cbteddy wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 5:12 pm
Alister wrote: January 30th, 2024, 8:09 am That was very sneaky of the type-setters to change the fontstyle right down around where the foot-note would be !

They got me good.

Super sneaky with the font change. If you used your new mic on the edits, it sounds great! Just one last thing for this section.

Around 22:20 - omitted "She was seen to be rolling frightfully." after "their attention was diverted to the battleship Indiana."
Hi Claire,

I'll correct this when I upload the next section.

Sorry about not having done so yet. But the weather has been quite oppressive in my locale this past few weeks. There was a day the other week where my town took the crown for the hottest on Earth, and I don't have air con. That wouldn't stop me, but the loud wheezing chugging of my machine and bar fridge aren't good for recording quality :lol:

I'm slowly working my way through it.
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Alister wrote: February 10th, 2024, 5:17 pm
Cbteddy wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 5:12 pm

They got me good.

Hi Claire,

I'll correct this when I upload the next section.

Sorry about not having done so yet. But the weather has been quite oppressive in my locale this past few weeks. There was a day the other week where my town took the crown for the hottest on Earth, and I don't have air con. That wouldn't stop me, but the loud wheezing chugging of my machine and bar fridge aren't good for recording quality :lol:

I'm slowly working my way through it.
No worries Alister! Try to stay cool and record whenever is a better time for you. Coolness and safety first, LV second :)
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Alister

Post by Alister »