[SOLO HISTORY] Sea-Power in the Pacific, by Hector C. Bywater - icequeen

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Alister

Post by Alister »

Sea-Power in the Pacific, by Hector Charles Bywater (1884 - 1940)
During the three decades preceding the Pacific War, the United States placed no small amount of effort in gaming out what such a conflict against Japan might look like. Ultimately, the Pacific War looked very little like the crystallization of these efforts as expressed in War Plan Orange.

The Americans and the Japanese were both heavily influenced by the theories of sea power and decisive battle of Alfred Thayer Mahan, despite the lacklustre absence of any such climactic decision at sea in the Great War.

The Pacific War would bear even less resemblance to Naval War College preconceptions as battleships were sidelined by the carrier—initially out of necessity, though as planes improved, and the doctrine for their employment were clarified, the superior capability they provided to shape the battlespace would soon become as clear as daylight.

Sea-Power in the Pacific, published in 1921, is military writer Hector Charles Bywater’s prediction which in some respects – together with his 1925 novel, The Great Pacific War – hits far closer to the mark than any actual naval war planning of the interwar period.

The impact of these two books in the United States is questionable, but – according to a 1970 article from American Heritage by journalist William H. Honan – both books were translated into Japanese and circulated among naval officers during the interwar period.

Pictured on the cover is Yamashita Gentarō who was chief of the Navy General Staff at the time of this book’s publication. He was a member of the Fleet Faction opposed to the Washington Naval Treaty which was the hot coal of contention in the fight for supremacy between the Naval General Staff and the Navy Ministry. It was also the Navy General Staff which very quickly organised and circulated a translation of Sea-Power in the Pacific upon its publication.

To what extent this book influenced Japanese military thinking is uncertain, but it clearly did exert an influence on the critical political struggles at play within the Imperial Navy in the 1920s.
(Summary by Alister)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/100576256

Target completion date: 2024-07-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: ZIJAiP6k
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hector_Charles_Bywater (Hector Charles Bywater)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 18
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: Yes
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1921
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/War & Military; *Non-fiction/History/Modern (20th C)

Keywords that describe the book:

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Sea-power in the Pacific. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Sea-power in the Pacific, by Hector Charles Bywater. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Sea-power in the Pacific, by Hector Charles Bywater. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Sea-power in the Pacific, by Hector Charles Bywater."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: seapowerinthepacific_##_bywater_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. seapowerinthepacific_01_bywater_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Alister on December 11th, 2023, 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I can MC this one for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready! I put a ~ in the subject line to advertise for a DPL, unless you have someone else in mind. If you do, let me know and I will make those changes. If not, then we will wait here a day or so to see if we can pick one up.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Alister

Post by Alister »

Thanks Ann :thumbs:
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Happy to DPL if you're still looking for one!
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
Alister

Post by Alister »

Hi Claire!

Sure :D. Happy to have you.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Cbteddy wrote: December 11th, 2023, 9:11 am Happy to DPL if you're still looking for one!

You have access to the MW now, Claire, thank you!

Off we go to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Alister

Post by Alister »

Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Alister wrote: December 13th, 2023, 6:17 am Section 0 --- > length 5:51

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/seapowerinthepacific_00_bywater_128kb.mp3
Section 0 PL OK!
Cheers,
Claire

~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
Alister

Post by Alister »

Just a quick note;

I may skip (some) footnotes in future if I don't feel they are worth breaking up the narration.

I've decided to render "Tsingtao" by its more faithful transliteration "Qingdao", because that is used today and more correct. It is more recognizable and locatable.

I won't do the same to Saigon, as this old name is comparatively more recognizable; It was the on and off again capital of Vietnam. Plus its modern name would be anachronistic, because Ho Chi Minh who the city was renamed after wouldn't become famous for many decades.
Alister

Post by Alister »

Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Happy New Year Alister!

Great job with section 1. I've noted one area where a portion of a sentence was missed:

Around 8:12 - missing this first part of the sentence "In considering the dimensions of the fleet now maintained in those waters..." (currently jumps straight to the second part of that sentence "due regard must be paid...")
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Alister

Post by Alister »

Cbteddy wrote: January 1st, 2024, 6:48 am Happy New Year Alister!

Great job with section 1. I've noted one area where a portion of a sentence was missed:

Around 8:12 - missing this first part of the sentence "In considering the dimensions of the fleet now maintained in those waters..." (currently jumps straight to the second part of that sentence "due regard must be paid...")

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/seapowerinthepacific_01_bywater_128kb.mp3

All good :D

New Length 52:10
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Alister wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 12:25 am
Cbteddy wrote: January 1st, 2024, 6:48 am Happy New Year Alister!

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/seapowerinthepacific_01_bywater_128kb.mp3

All good :D

New Length 52:10
Awesome! Spot PL OK!
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Alister

Post by Alister »

Cbteddy wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 4:20 pm
Awesome! Spot PL OK!
Good, Good :)

Here is Section 02.

Length 27:15

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/seapowerinthepacific_02_bywater_128kb.mp3