Lila 1 minute test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files.
LilaMable

Post by LilaMable »

Here's my link:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_lilamable_mp3_1.mp3

My version of windows computer will not download Audacity so I used a phone instead. I recorded using the "Voice Recorder & Voice Memos" app and edited on the "Music Audio Editor, MP3 Cutter" app. I think it fits all settings requirements, but I was not able to download the audio checker either so I don't know if it is in the right db range.

Please let me know if this is acceptable or if there is better software I can use on a mobile!
SCaulkins

Post by SCaulkins »

Hello, Lila.

I am no expert on software choices for you. Hopefully somebody with some knowledge of that will step in.

But I can share that two technical specs need to be fixed: First, the file needs to be mono instead of stereo. Second, the recording volume needs to be higher. Right now the file registers at 84.2 decibels. (You need 86-92, with 89/90 being ideal)

Looking forward to your contributions in Ivanhoe and appreciate the help.
Scott
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

In case your computer will only download programs from the "Microsoft Store", there is a way to turn off that setting:
https://www.wikihow.com/Turn-Off-S-Mode-in-Windows-10

If the computer does not belong to you, be sure to check that this is OK beforehand. It requires that you be the admin of the computer (or get their permission), and that you sign in with a free Microsoft account (sends you several types of ads until you opt out of each).
LilaMable

Post by LilaMable »

SCaulkins wrote: December 9th, 2023, 7:08 am Hello, Lila.

I am no expert on software choices for you. Hopefully somebody with some knowledge of that will step in.

But I can share that two technical specs need to be fixed: First, the file needs to be mono instead of stereo. Second, the recording volume needs to be higher. Right now the file registers at 84.2 decibels. (You need 86-92, with 89/90 being ideal)

Sorry for the delay! I've been searching for ways to check the decibels but haven't had any luck. Is there something I can use to monitor it besides the LibriVox Checker? (Which won't download.)

It was originally in mono but the editing app must have switched it to stereo. I'll watch this in the future.
LilaMable

Post by LilaMable »

redrun wrote: December 9th, 2023, 10:08 am In case your computer will only download programs from the "Microsoft Store", there is a way to turn off that setting:
https://www.wikihow.com/Turn-Off-S-Mode-in-Windows-10

If the computer does not belong to you, be sure to check that this is OK beforehand. It requires that you be the admin of the computer (or get their permission), and that you sign in with a free Microsoft account (sends you several types of ads until you opt out of each).
Thank you! I've spent the last few days going through all that with no success. My only conclusion is that the option to chose downloads beyond Microsoft Store is simply not an option for this specific computer. For now I'll just have to use alternatives 😔
SCaulkins

Post by SCaulkins »

LilaMable wrote: December 13th, 2023, 9:16 pm
SCaulkins wrote: December 9th, 2023, 7:08 am Hello, Lila.

Sorry for the delay! I've been searching for ways to check the decibels but haven't had any luck. Is there something I can use to monitor it besides the LibriVox Checker? (Which won't download.)

It was originally in mono but the editing app must have switched it to stereo. I'll watch this in the future.
Hey there. you caught us during a short trip for our daughter's concert. Lynette says she'll take a look at what's going on with the file tomorrow and let you know if things will work for dramatic role submissions, at least. (there is more leeway available there since everything gets edited into a new file, anyway)
Scott
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

LilaMable wrote: December 8th, 2023, 5:45 pm Here's my link:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_lilamable_mp3_1.mp3

My version of windows computer will not download Audacity so I used a phone instead. I recorded using the "Voice Recorder & Voice Memos" app and edited on the "Music Audio Editor, MP3 Cutter" app. I think it fits all settings requirements, but I was not able to download the audio checker either so I don't know if it is in the right db range.

Please let me know if this is acceptable or if there is better software I can use on a mobile!
What make of phone is it?
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

LilaMable wrote: December 13th, 2023, 9:18 pm Thank you! I've spent the last few days going through all that with no success. My only conclusion is that the option to chose downloads beyond Microsoft Store is simply not an option for this specific computer. For now I'll just have to use alternatives 😔
One more try to see if I could find a solution for you. It looks like Audacity is available in the Microsoft Store!
https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/XP8K0J757HHRDW?hl=en-US&gl=US

I hadn't seen that earlier, myself. And again - not that you must use Audacity, it's just a free program that does what we need, and many are familiar enough to give instructions if you need any help. :D