COMPLETE - The Two Brothers, by Honoré de Balzac - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
beeber

Post by beeber »

The Two Brothers, by Honoré de Balzac (1799 - 1850), translated by Katherine Prescott Wormeley (1830 - 1908)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-two-brothers-by-honore-de-balzac/

“The Two Brothers” (1842) is part of Balzac’s great life work, the novel series known as “The Human Comedy.” Balzac’s French title was “La Rabouilleuse”; other English translations have been variously titled “The Black Sheep” and “A Bachelor’s Establishment.”

After initially detailing the backstories of his characters, Balzac launches into an engaging and searing portrait of family relationships: parental, filial, and sibling relations are all tested to the breaking point.

In a small town in post-Napoleonic France, a father mistakenly believes that his daughter is not his legitimate offspring, and hustles her off to be raised by his in-laws in Paris. This girl grows up, marries, and becomes the mother of two boys. Mistakenly, she dotes on only one of these sons, unable to see that the lad is in fact a selfish, cruel scoundrel.

Meanwhile, back in the provinces, her brother, still ensconced in the family home, has grown up to be a feckless non-entity, vulnerable to the manipulations of those around him, including an attractive servant girl (“La Rabouilleuse”) who has been taken into the household.

Things get complicated when the Paris branch of the family returns to the small town, hoping to carve out for themselves a share of the late father’s inheritance. (Summary by Bruce Pirie)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/1380

Target completion date: 2024-06-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: o2EVpisH
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honoré_de_Balzac (Honoré de Balzac)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Rabouilleuse
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 17
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1842
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: Literary Fiction; General Fiction/Published 1800 -1900

Keywords that describe the book: siblings, realism, parents, 19th-Century France, family relations, post-Napoleonic France

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter 1 of The Two Brothers. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org. Read by Bruce Pirie. The Two Brothers, by Honoré de Balzac, translated by Katherine Prescott Wormeley."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter) # of The Two Brothers, by Honoré de Balzac, translated by Katherine Prescott Wormeley. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain. Read by Bruce Pirie."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter) #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Two Brothers, by Honoré de Balzac, translated by Katherine Prescott Wormeley."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: twobrothers_##_balzac_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. twobrothers_01_balzac_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
beeber

Post by beeber »

Note:

I'm delighted that Winnifred has agreed to DPL this project.

Bruce
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Looking forward to it!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I can MC this one for you Bruce! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready, and Winnifred has access to the MW, thank you! I will move us tomorrow!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
beeber

Post by beeber »

Hooray, we've got the team together!
Thanks, Ann.
Bruce
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Off we go to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 1 is ready for PL.

When I first read this book, I really disliked this chapter, because it's one of those sections where Balzac goes on and on explaining something. It's loaded with a baffling array of names of multiple generations of people, un-enlivened by actual dialogue, with a bunch of obscure financial arrangements (in a typically Balzacian manner).

For what it's worth, I have to admit that it makes a lot more sense now when I go back to it after reading the rest of the book. In any case, I promise that the next chapter is much more enjoyable: the story starts rolling.

At 22:11, there's a correction. The text reads, "If her husband brought him important business..." It should be, "If her husband brought home important business...."

And one other little emendation.... At 35:48, the text introduces the word "trey." It's an odd and unfamiliar word, but worth noting, because it will be used again several times, including at an important plot juncture. I decided to spell out the word at its first mention, to draw attention and head off the possibility of listeners being puzzled when they hear it again later.

Bruce
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

After your warnings, I'd braced myself for a boring first chapter, but I actually found it quite interesting. It would seem to set up the story nicely (I'll let you know if it succeeds later on). I noticed several familiar names (Cesar Birotteau, Roguin), and felt like I was revisiting familiar territory.

It is, of course, PL OK.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 2 is ready for PL.

Balzac is doing his typical mix of hstorical and fictional characters. Joseph meets several artists: the dying sculptor Chaudet and the painters Regnauld (or Regnault), Gros, and Schinner. The first three were real artists of the time (although their meeting is supposed to occur in 1812 and Chaudet actually died in 1810). Schinner, on the other hand, is a fictional character that Balzac uses in other stories.

Bruce
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Chapter 2 is PL OK. I can already sense where this story is going, I think. I look forward to learning about Joseph's future. Philippe, not so much.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Hi Bruce,

I will be away from my computer from December 23 to January 3. If you submit new chapters in that time, I'll tackle them as soon as I get back.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
beeber

Post by beeber »

Enjoy your time away!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

beeber wrote: December 21st, 2023, 9:08 pm Enjoy your time away!
Thanks!
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 3 is ready for PL.

Again, there is an intersection with real history. Philippe heads off to Texas, of all places. This was a real thing — the Champ d'Asile fiasco, which doesn't normally make it into today's history books. In 1818, a bunch of ex-soldiers from Napoleon's former army headed off to Texas, ostensibly to establish an agricultural colony. There was a lot of romantic press about it, a bunch of fund-raising, and celebration of these military men as "soldiers of the plough."

To this day, historians dispute what was really going on in the minds of the leaders. There's no evidence that any agricultural work ever took place. There is, on the other hand, evidence that munitions and a fortress were being built. One theory is that it was some kind of hare-brained scheme to establish a base for the return of Napoleon. (There were lots of pro-Napoleon conspiracies like this circulating at the time.) Another theory is that the pro-Bourbon faction supported this as a way of quietly getting these guys out of the way. (it was uncomfortable — dangerous, even — to have a gang of under-employed warriors sitting around in Paris coffee shops in their big overcoats, drinking toasts to the exiled Emperor and pining for the old days.) In any case, in less than 6 months, the project had collapsed and the soldiers returned home, hungry and embarrassed.

Bruce