What does this abbrevition refer to?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
JefferySmith

Post by JefferySmith »

I have an excerpt from a chapter I am reading:

"His successor was Leo N. Levi (b. in Victoria, Tex., 1856; d. in New York, 1904), who was in turn succeeded by the present incumbent, Adolf Kraus (b. in Bohemia, 1850; a. 1865), an eminent attorney, who has resided in Chicago since 1871, where he has served as President of the Board of Education, Corporation Counsel of the city and President of the Civil Service Commission."

The b. refers to born, the d. refers to died, and the a. refers to ...... what?
Jeffery Smith
Chula Vista, CA
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

JefferySmith wrote: December 4th, 2023, 4:38 pm I have an excerpt from a chapter I am reading:

"His successor was Leo N. Levi (b. in Victoria, Tex., 1856; d. in New York, 1904), who was in turn succeeded by the present incumbent, Adolf Kraus (b. in Bohemia, 1850; a. 1865), an eminent attorney, who has resided in Chicago since 1871, where he has served as President of the Board of Education, Corporation Counsel of the city and President of the Civil Service Commission."

The b. refers to born, the d. refers to died, and the a. refers to ...... what?
Per his Wikipedia article, that's the year he emigrated from Bohemia to US. So, I guess it means "arrived".
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.
JefferySmith

Post by JefferySmith »

That makes more sense than anything I could think of. I will go with that and tweak the recording if something else seems to supersede it.

Thanks!

Jeffery
Jeffery Smith
Chula Vista, CA