(Grp) Tea, its history and mystery, by Joseph M. Walsh - lt

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Tea, its history and mystery, by Joseph M. Walsh
Utility, not originality, has been aimed at in the compilation of this work. The obstacles and difficulties its author had met with in his endeavors to learn something of the article he was commissioned to sell when he first entered the Tea trade, the almost total lack of knowledge displayed by the average dealer in the commodity, allied to the numerous inquiries for a work containing “all about tea,” first prompted the undertaking.

The material was collated at intervals, in a fragmentary manner, covering a period of over twenty years, and arranged amid the many interruptions incident to an active business life, subjected to constant revisions, repeated prunings and innumerable corrections, due mainly to the varying statements and conflicting opinions of admitted authorities in every branch of the subject. Still, as careful and judicious an arrangement of the data has been given as possible, a faithful effort being made to omit nothing that may prove useful, instructive or profitable to the expert, the dealer or general reader.

Aware that many facts have been omitted, and many errors committed in its preparation, he still trusts that the pains he has taken to avoid both have not been in vain, that the former may be few, and the latter of no great importance. The work was compiled under impulse, not under inducement, a single line not being intended originally for the market, and is now being published solely for the benefit of those “whom it may concern.”

Philadelphia, December, 1892. (Summary by From the Preface)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/72306

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 10
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known):
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Nature; *Non-fiction/Science/Earth Sciences; *Non-fiction/Business & Economics

Keywords that describe the book: business, tea, cultivation

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Footnotes may be ignored.

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of Tea, its history and mystery. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Tea, its history and mystery, by Joseph M. Walsh. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Tea, its history and mystery, by Joseph M. Walsh."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: tea_##_walsh_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. tea_01_walsh_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: lynnet

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
shamose7

Post by shamose7 »

Hi, I can volunteer to be a PL
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

shamose7 wrote: December 5th, 2023, 2:54 pm Hi, I can volunteer to be a PL
It is a big job to PL an entire book (sometimes a commitment of a year or more), and the job isn’t for everyone. I suggest you just do one section for now, but if it’s a good fit,you can claim the DPL position later.
So far, no one has signed up to read, so you may want to look at another project (look for those with a tilde in the subject line — like this one has, but maybe with more movement 8-))

In the meantime, please familiarize yourself with the guidelines.
BardSanVO

Post by BardSanVO »

Lynnet, would you be open to me reading this entire book 'solo'? I've looked at the book, it's page count and feel quite comfortable with its size. More importantly, I'd like to learn the subject!

Thank you.

Will Shakespeare
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

BardSanVO wrote: December 5th, 2023, 4:29 pm Lynnet, would you be open to me reading this entire book 'solo'? I've looked at the book, it's page count and feel quite comfortable with its size. More importantly, I'd like to learn the subject!

Thank you.

Will Shakespeare
I’d rather keep it as a group project for now. I can assign you the first 4 sections, and you can come back for more if we have no takers.
BardSanVO

Post by BardSanVO »

Thank you Lynnet, that sounds very fair. I understand the issues when a book is set for Group. I am sincerely interested in the topic. So, here goes.
BardSanVO

Post by BardSanVO »

Hello Lynnet, here's the EDITED Intro / Prefatory: I left the ending off on the first take.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/tea_00_walsh_128kb.mp3

TIME: 2:17 min/sec

Cheers

Will
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

BardSanVO wrote: December 7th, 2023, 2:40 pm Hello Lynnet, here's the EDITED Intro / Prefatory: I left the ending off on the first take.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/tea_00_walsh_128kb.mp3

TIME: 2:17 min/sec

Cheers

Will
Thank you

Hmmm… we don’t have a section 00 :hmm:
Did you read what I have put in the blurb as a section? That’s fine if it’s what you did. I can add a section 00.
BardSanVO

Post by BardSanVO »

Hi Lynnet, I read the 'Prefatory' / Preface and labeled it 00 on the mp3 file name and on the recording I started it off with Section Prefatory and ended the recording with "End of Prefatory".

I'm happy to make any changes you prefer. I'm currently working on Chap 1 this a.m. and hope to have it submitted today.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

BardSanVO wrote: December 8th, 2023, 12:23 pm Hi Lynnet, I read the 'Prefatory' / Preface and labeled it 00 on the mp3 file name and on the recording I started it off with Section Prefatory and ended the recording with "End of Prefatory".

I'm happy to make any changes you prefer. I'm currently working on Chap 1 this a.m. and hope to have it submitted today.
No, it's fine... it's just I used the prefatory as the description of the book. I was not expecting it to be read as well. I have added a section 00 (until I did that, it was homeless, as we didn't have a section 00 -- the first section was section 01 on the project page). For future recordings, please stick to what is listed in the MW otherwise it gets very complicated.
BardSanVO

Post by BardSanVO »

Lynnet, please find Chap 1 completed

tea_01_walsh_128kb.mp3

TIME: 45:45

Thank you

Will
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

BardSanVO wrote: December 9th, 2023, 3:09 pm Lynnet, please find Chap 1 completed

tea_01_walsh_128kb.mp3

TIME: 45:45

Thank you

Will
Please copy and paste the entire url from the uploader.
BardSanVO

Post by BardSanVO »

sorry about that. here's Chap 1 link from uploader

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/tea_01_walsh_128kb.mp3
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

BardSanVO wrote: December 10th, 2023, 11:24 am sorry about that. here's Chap 1 link from uploader

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/tea_01_walsh_128kb.mp3
Now I'm confused...
In your post above, it did not show in its entirety.
But when I quoted your post here, it's there :hmm: I don't know what is happening, but it seems to be fine after all.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Chapter 1 PL OK