[COMPLETE] A Song-Bird, by Eleanora H. Stooke - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MickyF

Post by MickyF »

I can read the Christmas Time chapter if it is not yet taken!

Let me know!

Micky
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

MickyF wrote: April 4th, 2024, 2:59 pm I can read the Christmas Time chapter if it is not yet taken!

Let me know!

Micky
Thank you for your interest in this project.

I see that you're still waiting for approval of your sample recording. I did check the specs, and it does pass on Checker, but barely with a volume of just 86.4 dBs. We would prefer that the volume be closer to 89.

This is also a fairly long section to do for your first recording, so you might want to consider something shorter to see how it goes. Editing typically takes twice the time of the raw recording.

But, if you are still interested in doing this, and can complete it fairly quickly (it is an abandoned chapter and the last one), let me know. Be sure to tell me exactly how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalog. This can be your real name, a pseudonym, or any nickname/handle that you wish. This is how you will be credited for all of your LV work.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

czandra wrote: April 4th, 2024, 6:35 am I'll do 9

Cz

Bump
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

msfry wrote: April 4th, 2024, 9:04 am Chapter 1 is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/songbird_01_stooke_128kb.mp3 15:13

Makes you believe in the importance of family. And if no family, some sort of a safety net. I shall have to listen to how this story unfolds.
Hi Michele, lovely reading! Just a few edits please:

Ending - Please remove the two test endings that state chapter 2 (your third take sounds great, and correctly references Chapter 1).
Around 14:27 - repeat of "Won't you try to believe it, too?"
Around 14:23 - repeat of "for the good of both of us. "
Around 14:13 - repeat of "we should never be either."
Around 13:50 - repeat of "and never forget that if I am far away from you, He will be always near-"
Around 13:40 - throat clearing before "...as she pressed the little quivering..."
Around 13:02 - repeat of "to prevent her return"
Around 12:53 - repeat of "Who could tell what might happen in the months to come?"
Around 12:27 - 2x repeat of "Shall we go home, now?"
Around 12:14 - repeat of "for she was a contented little soul who had never fretted at poverty."
Around 11:51 - repeat of "into a wider thoroughfare lined on either side with fine shops"
Around 11:36-11:38 - sound of throat clearing between paragraphs
Around 11:32 - stumble on "and we will have a"
Around 11:23 - stumble on "It may as well go to-night."
Around 10:53 - 2x repeat of "...but I would rather leave you with relatives."

Thanks!
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
msfry

Post by msfry »

Gracious me, I must have uploaded an unfinished version! I clearly remember removing the 3 endings and several repeats and throat clearings (I have a touch of bronchitis). I'm so sorry to put you through all this. You should have just quit PL'ing and scolded me for submitting an unedited file! :oops:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

icequeen wrote: April 4th, 2024, 8:01 pm
czandra wrote: April 4th, 2024, 6:35 am I'll do 9

Cz

Bump
Goodness me!
How could I have missed these. :oops:

Thanks for the bump, and you are in Ready for PL :!: :!:
~ Larry
msfry

Post by msfry »

I have uploaded the correct Chapter 1, fully edited, de-essed, de-clicked, and perfected to the best of my ability with many adjustments beyond the PL notes you listed above. Again, Claire, I am truly sorry to have wasted so much of your time. :oops: :oops: :oops:

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/songbird_01_stooke_128kb.mp3 14:30
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

msfry wrote: April 5th, 2024, 8:16 am I have uploaded the correct Chapter 1, fully edited, de-essed, de-clicked, and perfected to the best of my ability with many adjustments beyond the PL notes you listed above. Again, Claire, I am truly sorry to have wasted so much of your time. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I've updated the MW and marked it Ready for PL.

I've done the same thing, Michele.
Once it was for one of the insomnia collections that Tricia was PLing.
My question was the same, "why didn't you stop earlier and just send me a note?"
It's still astonishing to me that I have so much editing to do on my recordings. I feel like I read like a first grader sometimes. :lol:
~ Larry
msfry

Post by msfry »

silverquill wrote: April 5th, 2024, 9:23 am It's still astonishing to me that I have so much editing to do on my recordings. I feel like I read like a first grader sometimes. :lol:
I don't see how to avoid it. You read a phrase one way then realize the emphasis was on the wrong word or read with the wrong emotion or by the wrong person, or you mispronounce a word, so you say it over again. I have a lot of repeats that way. I don't consider that a lack of skill, but a desire to get it right. I suppose if I read the chapter through before recording I could reduce the repetitions. Some people delete the bad stuff as they go along, but i find that interrupts the flow of my narrative, so I just keep going. I'm not dissatisfied with my editing process, but absolutely aghast at uploading the wrong file! I have too much experience to be so careless. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

msfry wrote: April 4th, 2024, 8:50 pm Gracious me, I must have uploaded an unfinished version! I clearly remember removing the 3 endings and several repeats and throat clearings (I have a touch of bronchitis). I'm so sorry to put you through all this. You should have just quit PL'ing and scolded me for submitting an unedited file! :oops:
No worries at all! I really like your tone and pacing, so I'm excited to listen to the chapter again :)

I hope you feel better!
Cheers,
Claire

~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

msfry wrote: April 5th, 2024, 9:47 am
silverquill wrote: April 5th, 2024, 9:23 am It's still astonishing to me that I have so much editing to do on my recordings. I feel like I read like a first grader sometimes. :lol:
I don't see how to avoid it. You read a phrase one way then realize the emphasis was on the wrong word or read with the wrong emotion or by the wrong person, or you mispronounce a word, so you say it over again. I have a lot of repeats that way. I don't consider that a lack of skill, but a desire to get it right. I suppose if I read the chapter through before recording I could reduce the repetitions. Some people delete the bad stuff as they go along, but i find that interrupts the flow of my narrative, so I just keep going. I'm not dissatisfied with my editing process, but absolutely aghast at uploading the wrong file! I have too much experience to be so careless. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Alas, nobody is perfect. Being new-ish to LV, I found there was definitely a learning curve. I've saved over files for different projects, submitted files for the wrong project and I'm amazed I don't notice it. Thankfully the BC was able to recover the original version so I could go back and edit it, otherwise I would have had to re-record.

Let's consider this a quality assurance check. You simply wanted to make sure I was following along with the text, and also listening to the whole file and noting anything out of the ordinary. I'll assume I passed? :lol:
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Cbteddy wrote: April 5th, 2024, 3:50 pm Let's consider this a quality assurance check. You simply wanted to make sure I was following along with the text, and also listening to the whole file and noting anything out of the ordinary. I'll assume I passed? :lol:
Indeed, you passed and I like the way you listed errors back to front. That was unique and very creative. However, you having to listen to the whole thing again is just wasting a PL'ers time. My tactic is that when it becomes obvious someone has not edited, I quit PLing and urge them to edit before I go any further. This mostly only happens with newbies who might not even know they are expected to review their recording for errors, or have no clue how to edit! As I've been around since 2013, with over 1400 sections under my belt, I don't have that excuse.

It all sort of depends upon whom we are PL'ing. Let's see if I pass muster the second go around.
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

PL OK! Lovely reading and singing!
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

msfry wrote: April 5th, 2024, 8:16 am I have uploaded the correct Chapter 1, fully edited, de-essed, de-clicked, and perfected to the best of my ability with many adjustments beyond the PL notes you listed above. Again, Claire, I am truly sorry to have wasted so much of your time. :oops: :oops: :oops:

PL OK!

And, I believe this wraps up the project!
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

That is certainly a wrap, Claire! Thank for your good PL throughout.
Thank you also for reading for this book along with Nancy, Kathryn, volunteer1005nm, Janice, and Czandra, and Michele for your voices getting us to the end.

Finally, a big thank you to Ann for patient MC duties, now taking us to the catalog.

An advance thank you for whomever designs a cover for this book.

I will prep another Eleanora Stooke for launch, so if you are interested, be on the look out. :)

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL :clap:
~ Larry