[SOLO-Greek Poetry] ΕΙΡΗΝΙΚΑ - brrot

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

ΕΙΡΗΝΙΚΑ, by Ioannes Polemes (1862 - 1924)
(Summary by Christine Rottger)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/39224

Target completion date: 2024-04-10

Prooflistening level: Special for pronunciation
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Poetry; Poetry/Single author

Keywords that describe the book: Irene, Nature, Poetry

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of ΕΙΡΗΝΙΚΑ. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "ΕΙΡΗΝΙΚΑ, by Ioannes Polemes. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of ΕΙΡΗΝΙΚΑ, by Ioannes Polemes. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of ΕΙΡΗΝΙΚΑ, by Ioannes Polemes."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: eirenika_##_polemes_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. eirenika_01_polemes_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: brownrottger

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Rapuzelina has graciously agreed to work with me on this.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

If you would like to use the Greek intro, I've copied it below and you can adjust as you see fit. If you wanted to have each poem in its own section, you can go for the short librivox intro.

START of recording (Intro):
  • "Ενότητα/Μέρος # από τα Ειρηνικά. Αυτή είναι μια ηχογράφηση της Λίμπριβοξ. Όλες οι ηχογραφήσεις της Λίμπριβοξ ανήκουν στη δημόσια κυριότητα. Για περισσότερες πληροφορίες ή για να συμμετέχετε εθελοντικά, επισκεφτείτε τη σελίδα librivox (τελεία) org. "
  • If you wish, say:
    "Διαβάζει ο/η [όνομα/ψευδώνυμο]"
  • Say:
    "Ειρηνικά του Ιωάννου Πολέμη. [Τίτλος ενότητας]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Ενότητα/Μέρος # από τα Ειρηνικά του Ιωάννου Πολέμη. Αυτή η ηχογράφηση της Λίμπριβοξ ανήκει στη δημόσια κυριότητα."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Say:
    "[Τίτλος ενότητας]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "Τέλος # ενότητας/μέρους"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "Τέλος των Ειρηνικών του Ιωάννου Πολέμη"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

where # is the ordinal number (πρώτο, δεύτερο, etc.)
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Rapunzelina wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 7:32 am If you would like to use the Greek intro, I've copied it below and you can adjust as you see fit. If you wanted to have each poem in its own section, you can go for the short librivox intro.

START of recording (Intro):
  • "Ενότητα/Μέρος # από τα Ειρηνικά. Αυτή είναι μια ηχογράφηση της Λίμπριβοξ. Όλες οι ηχογραφήσεις της Λίμπριβοξ ανήκουν στη δημόσια κυριότητα. Για περισσότερες πληροφορίες ή για να συμμετέχετε εθελοντικά, επισκεφτείτε τη σελίδα librivox (τελεία) org. "
  • If you wish, say:
  • Say:
    "Ειρηνικά του Ιωάννου Πολέμη. [Τίτλος ενότητας]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Ενότητα/Μέρος # από τα Ειρηνικά του Ιωάννου Πολέμη. Αυτή η ηχογράφηση της Λίμπριβοξ ανήκει στη δημόσια κυριότητα."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Say:
    "[Τίτλος ενότητας]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "Τέλος # ενότητας/μέρους"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "Τέλος των Ειρηνικών του Ιωάννου Πολέμη"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

where # is the ordinal number (πρώτο, δεύτερο, etc.)
Excellent! Off to Going Solo.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Note that the author's surname is Polemis, not Polemes. 8-) I've fixed it in the database.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Gutenberg has it as Polemes. :?:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Huh! Wikipedia had it with the I. :hmm:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi there! Section 00 is Ready for PL. Fingers crossed. Please let me know if I have butchered this badly. :help:
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Section 0 is fine! My only pronunciation comment is for ΗΣΑΪΑΣ. The diacritics separate the Ι from the Α, so it is not pronounced like αι=ε, but separately α-ι https://forvo.com/word/%CE%B7%CF%83%CE%B1%CE%90%CE%B1%CF%82/#el

Another thing I noticed is that when there is a ια or ιε combination, I can't hear the second vowel very clearly:
0:05 μια ηχογράφηση
0:19 πληροφορίες
0:28 διαβάζει

But everything else is spot on, so this deserves a big :clap:
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Rapunzelina wrote: December 6th, 2023, 6:30 am Section 0 is fine! My only pronunciation comment is for ΗΣΑΪΑΣ. The diacritics separate the Ι from the Α, so it is not pronounced like αι=ε, but separately α-ι https://forvo.com/word/%CE%B7%CF%83%CE%B1%CE%90%CE%B1%CF%82/#el

Another thing I noticed is that when there is a ια or ιε combination, I can't hear the second vowel very clearly:
0:05 μια ηχογράφηση
0:19 πληροφορίες
0:28 διαβάζει

But everything else is spot on, so this deserves a big :clap:
Thank you! So helpful! Will fix.And good to go on with.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi! I fixed Section 00 I think. Also Section 01 is ready for PL. I love this poem! To me it is about hope in the face of desperate circumstances. I think my reading is ok even though slow. Maybe it will help "Greek as Second Language" learners?!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

brownrottger wrote: December 9th, 2023, 12:54 pm Maybe it will help "Greek as Second Language" learners?!
I would not recommend 100+ years old texts to students of Modern Greek :lol: Unless of course they are students of the Greek of that period! Then yes!
Nevertheless, it has a nice pleasant flow, and it has all the merits of the reasons why I, at least, listen to poetry; it prompts my mind to create poetic imagery, all with the calming sound effect of rhythm in the rhyme, reinforced by your magical voice!

Section 0: PL OK!

I have a couple of pronunciation notes for Section 1.
First a suggestion for the intro outro. I would use the ordinal number, so for Ενοτητα which is a feminine noun, I would go with "Ενότητα πρώτη" at the beginning, and "Τέλος πρώτης ενότητας" at the end. But if you choose to go with cardinal numbers, which is also fine, then it would be "Ενότητα ένα" instead of "ένας", and "Τέλος ενότητας ένα".
The same for the number at 0:18. It would be ένα, instead of ένας.
0:31 κοιμητήρι, the οι should have an ι sound.
0:44 τώχει, accidentally read as τώξει.

Beautiful!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

You are soo sweet! Will edit accordingly. Thanks!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Κοιμητήρι is actually where the word cemetery comes from etymologically.

It has the same root as κοιμάμαι : sleep, κοιμητήρι : graveyard, cemetery
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Rapunzelina wrote: December 16th, 2023, 1:03 am Κοιμητήρι is actually where the word cemetery comes from etymologically.

It has the same root as κοιμάμαι : sleep, κοιμητήρι : graveyard, cemetery
Interesting!