(group/mystery) The Ponson case, by Freeman Wills Crofts - lt

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

The Ponson case, by Freeman Wills Crofts (1879 - 1957)

Volunteers outside the USA: Freeman Wills Crofts died in 1957. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
Where is Sir William? His butler and valet are concerned. He disappeared after dinner and is late retiring to bed. Did Sir William walk over to his son's house, possibly to discuss his unsuitable choice of bride? Or had an argument with a dinner guest fro a few evenings ago resurface and turn sinister? Maybe he is apoplectic and they will find him lying dead somewhere? But the truth is far worse. Sir William is found in the river,but it doesn't look as if he drowned. (Summary by LynneT)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/72235

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeman_Wills_Crofts (Freeman Wills Crofts)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 16
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1921
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]
========================================

Genres for the project: Crime & Mystery Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: murder, injury, valet, drowning

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Ponson case. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Ponson case, by Freeman Wills Crofts. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Ponson case, by Freeman Wills Crofts."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: ponsoncase_##_crofts_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. ponsoncase_01_crofts_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: lynnet

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Hi Lynnet,
I am currently almost finished with my DPL duties for "The Cask" by Freeman Crofts and would love to DPL this project if you need someone, as I enjoyed his writing. Thanks for considering.

Lora
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

ADKreader1122 wrote: November 28th, 2023, 2:04 pm Hi Lynnet,
I am currently almost finished with my DPL duties for "The Cask" by Freeman Crofts and would love to DPL this project if you need someone, as I enjoyed his writing. Thanks for considering.

Lora
Sure!
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Great, Lynnet--thanks for letting me know.

Lora
Georgie63

Post by Georgie63 »

I'd like to volunteer to do Section #1. I can have a file uploaded for review in about 7-10 days. Please let me know if you have any particular way you need it read, besides the notes provided already.

Thanks! :)

Georgie63
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Georgie63 wrote: November 28th, 2023, 11:05 pm I'd like to volunteer to do Section #1. I can have a file uploaded for review in about 7-10 days. Please let me know if you have any particular way you need it read, besides the notes provided already.

Thanks! :)

Georgie63
There are no specific instructions for this project.
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

May I have 2?
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Cbteddy wrote: December 11th, 2023, 10:15 am May I have 2?
Sure
cbblepot

Post by cbblepot »

Hello! This is my first time doing a narration for a book and I thought this seemed interesting plus a good start :D May I have the 3rd section?
JohnLeloup

Post by JohnLeloup »

Hello,
I would like to claim section #3 (Hoaxed).
Thanks,
JL
JohnLeloup

Post by JohnLeloup »

I see where another claim has been made for section 3 previous to mine. In that case may I claim section 4 if no one else has?
Thanks,
JL
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

cbblepot wrote: December 11th, 2023, 6:50 pm Hello! This is my first time doing a narration for a book and I thought this seemed interesting plus a good start :D May I have the 3rd section?
Sure
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

JohnLeloup wrote: December 12th, 2023, 5:54 am I see where another claim has been made for section 3 previous to mine. In that case may I claim section 4 if no one else has?
Thanks,
JL
4 is yours 8-)
JohnLeloup

Post by JohnLeloup »

Before I start section 4, could you please advise me as to preferred pronunciation of the following words:
Luce (1 or 2 syllables?) the names “Innes” and “Arbuthnot”?
Thanks,
JL
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

JohnLeloup wrote: December 12th, 2023, 9:28 am Before I start section 4, could you please advise me as to preferred pronunciation of the following words:
Luce (1 or 2 syllables?) the names “Innes” and “Arbuthnot”?
Thanks,
JL
This hasn't been discussed so I would say:
Luce (like loose)
Innes = In Niss (the usual Scottish pronunciation)
Arbuthnot = Ar buth nott (equal stress on each syllable)