SOLO The Golden Bough. Part VI. The Scapegoat by James Frazer -brrot

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

Wow, all that stuff about the calendars and intercalary days was SOOO interesting. I never knew anything about that. I listened to the 2 new files, but I have not done the spot-checks yet. This was a really busy weekend for me, and I didn't want you to have to wait on comments on the new recordings, so that's what I did today. I'm going to try to catch up on the spot-checks tomorrow (my Monday).

Section 13
11:14 agrees so closely (you stopped and repeated)

Section 14
3:26 Immediately on his election... conjurings and charms (this section repeats; I think you realized that you had left out the marginal subheading, and then when you read that, you repeated the "Immediately...charms" part, so the first time you do that needs to be removed, from around 3:26 to around 3:52 -- a suggestion: do this edit LAST because it will throw off the rest of the timestamps; I'll compare the edited file time at this point and adjust the timestamps for the spotcheck accordingly)
10:44: county of Gloucester, next Worcestershire ("Glouster" and "Woostershir" as you can hear here:
https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us/definition/english/gloucester
https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us/definition/english/worcestershire?q=worcestershire
12:46 the large cake is produced (not: procured)
17:22 The Gloucestershire custom ("Glostershir"
https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us/definition/english/gloucestershire?q=gloucestershire
17:34 prevails in Gloucestershire (see previous note)
22:54 a sort of almanac (AL-man-ack; I heard: alenac)
40:53 a Bencher of the Temple (I heard: brancher)
41:43 ten pounds (not: ten shillings: the L10:0:0 is 10 pounds, 0 shillings, 0 pence)
42:51 the two potentates (I heard: potenates)
43:57 on Circumcision Day (not: Christmas Day... it's the day Jesus got circumcised, or so they say!)
47:11 on Childermas (not: Cindermas)
47:31 the Franciscan monastery (not: Francissian)
48:41 Gloucester (see note above: Glouster)
48:53 such as Magdalen ("Maudlin" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8z4XZu2gt4)
49:47 at which he presided (not: provided)
50:12 the days of his episcopacy (not: episcopaly)
53:02 farcical rulers (not: farcial)
56:30 the wily Thoth (wily-rhymes-with-shyly not willy-rhymes-with-Billy)
56:30 a game of draughts (draughts-rhymes-with-rafts
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/draughts)
58:43 intercalary month (intercalary is repeated)
1:02:59 more or less farcical ruler (not: farcial)
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

I finally got caught up on the spot-checks: all good! I'm so glad you were able to fix up the complicated thing there in Section 8!
I've got houseguests coming this weekend, and the weekend is usually when I work on this, so if you post something this weekend, I won't get to it probably until the next weekend (April 20-21), but I should be able to get all caught up again then.
:D
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

Section 15 was very interesting! I did not know about all these different Cronia in ancient Greece!
My apologies for not getting to section 16 this weekend; usually I can get caught up on Sunday but this weekend was kind of hectic. I should be able to do Section 16 tomorrow (my Monday) --- it is exciting to see this project getting so close to being done.

A few notes on Section 15:

5:51 the rule of continence (not: continuance)
7:09 above all in the months (word "in" is missing which throws the meaning off)
8:09 a similar fast (not: feast)
9:08 will eat but before midday (not: just before)
12:18 on the fifteenth day (not: twelfth)
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

Wow, all that information about the Book of Esther was fascinating! I've read it multiple times, but I never guessed at these connections, like Marduk and Mordecai. I wonder if all the Near Eastern archaeology in the past 100 years has supported Frazer's claims here or not. So interesting!

Just a few little things to fix up in Section 16:

3:38 in a splendid chamber (not: chapter)
5:07 he hastened to his bridal (not: burial)
12:12 more or less disguised form (not: distinguished)
30:02 appears to be established (not: especially)
38:12 to subserve practical purposes (I heard: subvert?)
40:26 he authenticates his initiation (not: intention)
52:24 believed to have been revealed ("been" is missing, which changes the meaning)

It's exciting as you get near the end now!
niobium

Post by niobium »

Allegedly, this chapter and the note at the end, were a point of controversy. Until someone shows a guide to the errors that are supposed to exist in frazers works, then I don't see any reason why the criticism stands. As far as I have read, nothing stands out as a belligerent attitude from the victorian era, and all theories are noted as conjecture. In fact, the anthropology section of the library has many old books which I may add to the librivox library, that have been suppressed as relics of colonial prejudice. It actually seems more likely that our academics are forgetting the previous research because it does not fit the narrative of white explorers looting everything instead of endlessly recording the culture of others.
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

niobium wrote: May 1st, 2024, 1:19 am Allegedly, this chapter and the note at the end, were a point of controversy. Until someone shows a guide to the errors that are supposed to exist in frazers works, then I don't see any reason why the criticism stands. As far as I have read, nothing stands out as a belligerent attitude from the victorian era, and all theories are noted as conjecture. In fact, the anthropology section of the library has many old books which I may add to the librivox library, that have been suppressed as relics of colonial prejudice. It actually seems more likely that our academics are forgetting the previous research because it does not fit the narrative of white explorers looting everything instead of endlessly recording the culture of others.
I hear you! I work a lot on public domain African folktale collections, and they run the whole gamut from stuff that is so suffused with racist/colonial prejudice that the resulting document is not usable to stuff that is extremely valuable. Right now I'm working on an annotated bibliography of all the public domain BILINGUAL African story collections I can find (i.e. stories and proverbs in African languages with English, French, German, or Portuguese translations) --- I figure that the collections with African language content are inherently valuable, no matter how problematic the collectors might be!
niobium

Post by niobium »

Here in Australia, we are taught that settlers caused the destruction of Aboriginal culture, and our children in school are shown picture books of rabbits invading and slaughtering bush bilbys. Meanwhile, I have a saved collection of anthropology works from the online archive with multiple volumes of official explorers reports of native Australian cultures. Certainly more reading material than what you would find in the average university students desk these days. As a matter of principal, I try to take note of some of the more unexpected claims in this book series and follow the reference. Sometimes its hard to dig around especially with different languages, but there is an extensive treasure trove of details from lost civilizations referenced to in here. It is almost beyond belief what can be achieved without the internet, but skilled explorers have dutifully recorded the languages, dress, music, and physiology of their predecessors with paper alone.

Hopefully, someone else will like to join in and bring some of these works to the public domain audio too
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

I would love to learn more about how all this played out in Australia!
Here in North America, the public domain materials cover a whole spectrum from the worst sort of misrepresentation and appropriation imaginable to some work done with a real respect for other cultures. I am so grateful for the work done on the real-respect end of that spectrum, especially early books by native authors. One of my favorites is Ohíye S’a / Charles Alexander Eastman. Some of his books are already at LibriVox, but none of his folktale work, so that is one my list of things to record when I have time again for some solo work (I've been mostly prooflistening lately ---- as you know, recording takes time, and I just haven't had a lot of that this year... not so far anyway!).
https://librivox.org/author/3473?primary_key=3473&search_category=author&search_page=1&search_form=get_results&search_order=alpha