SOLO The Golden Bough. Part VI. The Scapegoat by James Frazer -brrot

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

Section 1 sounds great, and I enjoyed Section 2 also. There was one long quote he had with very archaic spelling, and I don't know if you want to edit that or not (the ye/the things; I put that in italics below)... and happy holidays to you! Listening to Frazer in the midst of holiday rituals seems very appropriate :-)

2:55 innocuous (in-noc-u-ous)
11:13 to take upon himself the sins of the dying man (I heard: to take himself upon the sins)
12:06 of the party deceased (I heard: partly deceased)
12:46 I don't know if you want to fix these or not, but the word "ye" in this long quotation (ye Presbyterian, ye Parish, ye City, ye performing), is the old-fashioned way of spelling the word "the" ... likewise at 14:05 "eat" is the old-fashioned spelling of "ate" (like the "eat" in "great" as we spell it today)... again, not sure if you want to change that or not, since it's archaic spelling
14:08 drank off at a draught (I heard: "drout" - drought, but this is "draft" - draught -- "gh" like in laugh)
16:49 corpse-praying priest (I heard: paying)
20:53 the ugly marks (I heard: masks)
25:38 the gripes (the disease is pronounced "grip," often spelled grippe instead of gripes)
27:05 you set a bowl (I heard: get)
27:45 beasts always before her (I heard: away)
28:19 sent consumption away with a blue jay (I heard: sent complaint)
28:34 a goldfinch (I heard: goldfish)
36:59 cure for the ague (it's pronounced a-gyou):
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/ague
40:14 cure of ague (see previous note)
40:26 and his ague (see previous note)
48:21 and securely bunged up (I heard: secretly)
52:54 The farmer saw his chance (these words are missing)
53:18 reign of Marcus Antoninus (An-to-ni-nus; not Antonius)
54:13 revered the Druids (I heard: received)
57:07 rent by party feud (I heard: petty)
1:02:08 cure for ague (a-gyou; see note above)
1:02:32 the ague (see previous note above)
niobium

Post by niobium »

https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/goldenboughviscapegoat_04_frazer_128kb.mp3

im still working on the corrections in the previous section. im sure there will be plenty more incoming after these two
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

Got it! I'm looking forward to the next part! I'll be able to do that on Friday or over the weekend at the latest. :-)
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

niobium wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 6:58 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/goldenboughviscapegoat_04_frazer_128kb.mp3

im still working on the corrections in the previous section. im sure there will be plenty more incoming after these two
Oh, Sections 3 and 4 were intense. I have a friend who told me about belief in the jinns where she grew up (she is Muslim), and it is like some of the examples he mentioned here like about being careful when sweeping or pouring out water, not to hurt the jinn and especially the little children of the jinn! But without exactly all the negativity Frazer has here. Just very matter-of-fact: watch out for the little jinn!

SECTION THREE

4:04 spirit hunts (not haunts)
14:01 Indians of Guiana: Gu-ya-na... it's often spelled with the y nowadays; there's an audio pronunciation here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guyana
15:25 by propitiation only (pro-pi-shi-AY-shun or pro-pit-ti-AY-shun, not propitation)
15:55 propitiated (see previous note)
20:09 must first propitiate the deities (see previous note)
24:12 Everywhere he sees snares set for him (these words are missing)
29:32 the superstition (not supposition)
29:46 the superstition cripples (not supposition)
30:07 the propitiation (see note above)
30:33 the excessive superstition (not supposition)
32:47 the outcome of a belief (not the overcome)
35:28 name of the particular evil (not parallel)
35:43 mild and tractable (not traceable)

SECTION FOUR

2:25 the proper sense of the word (not world)
13:05 the propitiation (not propitation)
I am not sure what you want to do with the mentions of Thay, which is now spelled Thai as in Thai-land, rhymes with "my," not with "may" -- but you are consistent saying Thay, so maybe just leave it as is...? anyway, here is where they are:
16:10 As to the Thay
16:16 the Thay lives
17:07 the Thay reckons
18:22 the Thay cannot take a single step
18:28 the life of the Thay
31:00 Thales held that (Thales has two syllables: Tha-les)
32:19 forests of Guiana (see note above)
34:40 in the pharmacopoeia (not pharmacopedia -- it's now usually spelled more like it sounds: pharmacopeia, not that weird old-fashioned "oe" spelling)
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi Laura, I am the MC on this project. I just need to step in with a gentle reminder not to make PL notes on pronunciation.
If you have any questions on this we can continue discussion in PM.
Best,
Christine
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

Perhaps I am not a good fit to PL here; I'm glad to step aside and let someone else take this one on (I picked it up when the person I regularly PL for was on holiday).
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

laurakgibbs wrote: January 8th, 2024, 7:52 am Perhaps I am not a good fit to PL here; I'm glad to step aside and let someone else take this one on (I picked it up when the person I regularly PL for was on holiday).
I will take over for DPL.
Have a good day,
Christine
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

I have reinstated Laura as DPL.
Best,
Christine
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

Section 2 sounds great; all edits seamless and clear! I've marked that PL OK.

I saw that Section 3 was marked for spot-check, but I'm not sure the new file has been uploaded. I downloaded the file using the link in the MW, and I still hear "parallel" instead of "particular" at 35:28 for example. So let me know when that is ready to go!
niobium

Post by niobium »

I reuploaded another later version i was working on. this is what happens when I switch over to a laptop from my usual computer
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

niobium wrote: January 17th, 2024, 8:32 pm I reuploaded another later version i was working on. this is what happens when I switch over to a laptop from my usual computer
I switch computers sometimes too and that has happened to me!

The new version sounds GREAT. All the edits are good (they sound perfectly seamless!), but there is one side-effect from the editing, a repeated phrase here:
32:59 of the Battas or Bataks demons in Sumatra, we are told that the key-note to their religious mood is fear of the unknown powers
this phrase repeats: the first reading is GOOD (the one that starts at 32:51); this repeated phrase at 32:59 has "demons" added in from the margin, so the first reading is the one to keep
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

All those examples of the Saturnalia-like festivals were so interesting! Just a few things to fix up, mostly towards the end (reading something this long cannot be easy; I think the longest section I've read for a project has been around 35 minutes, and I know it got harder to focus after such a long read!). Here are my notes:

2:17 drives away the devils (you read: evil spirits)
5:38 steal cautiously and silently black (there's a repeated phrase here; the second version is the good one)
7:09 burn the scrapings (you read: surapings)
21:47 that the cowed and daunted demons (you read: crowd)
22:49 fired guns and brandished swords (you read: banished)
41:27 the negroes of Guinea (this is Guinea-rhymes-with-penny in West Africa, not Guyana in South America)
41:31 The negroes of Guinea (see previous note)
47:58 harvest in New Guinea (this is New Guinea-rhymes-with-penny in Melanesia, not Guyana in South America)
48:07 South-Eastern New Guinea (see previous note)
48:30 a wily spirit (this is wily-rhymes-with-shyly, not willy)
52:57 bread made from rice-flour (you read: beads)
54:31 the inhabitants of each may take part (you read: of each day)
54:43 never attempt to (you read: never forget to)