SOLO The Golden Bough. Part VI. The Scapegoat by James Frazer -brrot

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
niobium

Post by niobium »

The Golden Bough. Part VI. The Scapegoat, by James Frazer (1854 - 1941)
The ninth book in The Golden Bough Series. With The Scapegoat the general discussion of the theory and practice of the Dying God is brought to a conclusion. The aspect of the subject with which we are here chiefly concerned is the use of the Dying God as a scapegoat to free his worshippers from the troubles of all sorts with which life on earth is beset. Frazer sought to trace this curious usage to its origin, to decompose the idea of the Divine Scapegoat into the elements out of which it appears to be compounded. If he is right, the idea resolves itself into a simple confusion between the material and the immaterial, between the real possibility of transferring a physical load to other shoulders and the supposed possibility of transferring our bodily and mental ailments to another who will bear them for us. When we survey the history of this pathetic fallacy from its crude inception in savagery to its full development in the speculative theology of civilized nations, we cannot but wonder at the singular power which the human mind possesses of transmuting the leaden dross of superstition into a glittering semblance of gold. Certainly in nothing is this alchemy of thought more conspicuous than in the process which has refined the base and foolish custom of the scapegoat into the sublime conception of a God who dies to take away the sins of the world.

Along with the discussion of the Scapegoat included in this volume an account of the remarkable religious ritual of the Aztecs, in which the theory of the Dying God found its most systematic and most tragic expression. (Summary by leon harvey)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210168/page/n5/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2024-04-01

Prooflistening level: Special
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: OacLPXkg
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_George_Frazer ( James Frazer)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 14
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: Yes
  • Original publication date (if known): 1920
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Other religions; *Non-fiction/Social Science (Culture & Anthropology)

Keywords that describe the book: human sacrifice, aztec, primitive belief

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Golden Bough. Part VI. The Scapegoat. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Golden Bough. Part VI. The Scapegoat, by James Frazer. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Golden Bough. Part VI. The Scapegoat, by James Frazer. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Golden Bough. Part VI. The Scapegoat, by James Frazer."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: goldenboughviscapegoat_##_frazer_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. goldenboughviscapegoat_01_frazer_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: brownrottger

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

I didn't see a tilde here, so perhaps you already have a DPL lined up, but if not, I would be very glad to DPL this project.
niobium

Post by niobium »

as far as I am concerned, you qualify for the job.

Im not sure how gristly primitive belief systems are supposed to get, but this book is probably full of human sacrifices and cannibalism. its a dirty job, but someone has to do it
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

niobium wrote: November 26th, 2023, 6:58 pm as far as I am concerned, you qualify for the job.

Im not sure how gristly primitive belief systems are supposed to get, but this book is probably full of human sacrifices and cannibalism. its a dirty job, but someone has to do it
Ha ha! You've got quite a slog ahead of you... I'm just along for the prooflistening ride! :-)
(I read a lot of Frazer in grad school a gazillion years ago)
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi Leon, I will MC this for you. Will provide MW tonight.
Best,
Christine
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi, You are all set. I also corrected a few times in the first post where you had IV instead of VI. Could you just give one more glance at that to make sure none were missed? I also shortened the file name. As soon as I hear back from you this team can move to Going Solo!
niobium

Post by niobium »

ok thanks for the error correction.
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

I was able to access the MW, Christine! Thank you! :-)
niobium

Post by niobium »

laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

niobium wrote: December 9th, 2023, 7:00 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/goldenboughviscapegoat_00_frazer_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/goldenboughviscapegoat_01_frazer_128kb.mp3

off to a good start with what appears to be a high number of split chapters for this volume
I am so excited to start listening! When I prooflisten, the first thing I always do is run the files through the Checker, and because Section 1 is so long, I got a fail message; it says "Recordings should not be longer than 60 minutes." Then in the linked Help file it says, "A text is usually split into sections that are 10 to 40 minutes long, to break them up into convenient-sized chunks for listening and writing to CDs."

This is the first time I've encountered something like this, but my guess is that you do need to adjust the way the chapter is being split in some way that is convenient, maybe aiming for that 40-minute length?

I usually record folktales and fairy tales, so for me, 15 minutes is a long file, ha ha, so this extra-long chapter problem is new to me. Anyway, hopefully you can find a good breaking point around the 40-minute mark and make that section 1, and then proceed to divide up the chapter accordingly.

I have a houseguest tomorrow, so if you get that done this weekend, and I don't get back to you on Sunday, I'll be ready to jump back in on Monday (I'll wait to do section 0 together with the new section 1). And, like I said, I am really excited to get started on this; it's very different than the kinds of projects I've been DPLing this year. :D
niobium

Post by niobium »

Frazer had a system of writing where he divides his work in Chapters, then numbered sub chapters and finally untitled paragraphs with the description of what they will be about located in the margins of the page. Generally, if I have to break up a chapter, I will try to time my cut off with the intermission of subchapters but it is not always such an even fit. In my experience with the golden bough books, 40 minutes a section is close to what most settle on.

I was aware of the recording section length, but Ive been working under the impression its limit is 74 minutes, which is the maximum for a CD track. I have not heard of that error message appearing before either. are you sure you cant listen to the recording as it is?

Interesting to note , this volume is the first content that hints on christian traditions. Contrary to the reputation of this work, there is very little that is interpreted through English christian morals, or any imperial code of the British empire. Since I am the only person I have ever heard of who intends to read the entire thing, I wonder what impression others get from Frazers works especially if it is out of their usual field of interest. When this project is completed with the remaining 3 volumes, it might be the longest religion collection here on librivox.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

I believe the outside limit set by the Admins is 72 minutes. Your sections so far do fit within that so no need to split. The checker is a guide, but a very useful one especially on the volume levels. I also wanted to say that this is a most admirable undertaking by you and, of course, Frazer. Very lucky to have you preserve his works in voice!

Christine
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

Thanks so much to both of you! I learn new things with each new project, and now I've already learned something new about the *real* limit on section length. Super! I have a guest here today, but I'll be able to start listening tomorrow (Monday). Thanks again for all the info!
And YES, I totally agree about the fabulousness of having Frazer available for people to listen to; this is a great effort and much appreciated. I think Frazer would have been very pleased :D
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

niobium wrote: December 9th, 2023, 7:00 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/goldenboughviscapegoat_00_frazer_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/goldenboughviscapegoat_01_frazer_128kb.mp3

off to a good start with what appears to be a high number of split chapters for this volume
Wow, this was so interesting and useful for me to listen to! I am currently working on a study "chain tales" (I'm a folklorist), including chains-of-blame and chains-of-debt... so this first section gave me so much wonderful stuff to think about in terms of rituals and practices that are similar to some of the assumptions that drive the folktales. Really cool! Right now my own work is focusing on indigenous cultures of South Asia, Africa, and the Americas, which is where so much of Frazer's material comes from (a lot of his bibliography is my bibliography, ha ha), so that also made this very exciting for me to listen to.

Section 0 all good!

I found some things to check on in Section 1. The way I do this kind of prooflistening is to listen, and when there is something that I can't understand or doesn't make sense, then I check the reading against the text. So, that's what you have here; the spots where, as a listener, I couldn't get the meaning just from listening, so I needed to check the text.

2:59 women's head-rings (I heard: head-rags)
14:37 are spread on the floor (I heard: are spared)
14:47 from a sepulchral mound (I heard: sepulutural)
16:17 the fatigue which they felt (I heard: which they left)
17:02 at a place of steep descent (I heard: stone descent)
18:28 the country of the Tarahumares (I heard: Tamahures)
18:45 Tarahumares (see previous note)
20:09 Lakes Tanganyika and Nyassa (I heard: Tangiyaka)
26:37 on scenes of clandestine or illicit love (I heard: clandeshire)
37:11 Thus Euripides (for "thus," I heard "first" -- and Euripides is pronounced with 4 syllables: Eu-RIP-i-des)
37:21 Propertius (usually pronounced with 3 syllables in English: Pro-PER-shus)
39:10 is the usage observed (I heard: usual)
41:50 to a desire of communion (I heard: communication)
42:01 good Mohammedans (I heard: Mohavians)
42:38 to touch his hand (I heard: his head)
50:04 of propitiating some local spirits (I heard: propitating, but it usually has five syllables: pro-PISH-i-ate-ing)
51:23 on a cairn instead of a stick of stone (the word "instead" fell out... when I checked this passage, I also saw you added in the word "certain" — although that's not something I would have marked because it doesn't sound odd; the missing "instead" is what made me stop and check)
53:56 a propitiatory offering (I heard: propitary... see note above; this would be pro-PISH-a-to-ry, or pro-PISH-i-a-to-ry)
1:02:52 disease into a sow (it's sow-rhymes-with-cow here, not sow-rhymes-with-blow)
1:03:03 child is pining for jealousy (pining-rhymes-with-lining not pinning-rhymes-with-winning)

Frazer is a hugely challenging text to read, and I am so impressed by this project... and very much looking forward to the next section! :clap: