~[Group] Patrick Henry; life, correspondence and speeches, by William Wirt Henry -jo

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
vviera

Post by vviera »

Readerad wrote: January 28th, 2024, 8:05 pm
Readerad wrote: January 28th, 2024, 7:52 pm I re-uploaded the preface with the necessary corrections identified by my PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/patrickhenrylife_00_henry_128kb.mp3
Forgive me. I just touched up the file and uploaded it again. Sorry; I know this is the fourth time I've uploaded my section. The latest version should be perfect.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/patrickhenrylife_00_henry_128kb.mp3
Hi Readerad-
Your beginning and end silences are correct, and the MS (manuscript) change has been made. However, it still says "MSS" at 4:17. Go in and catch that one and you'll be good to go.

Also, that one edit you made on MS sounds excellent. It's a seamless change!
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
Readerad

Post by Readerad »

vviera wrote: January 29th, 2024, 6:34 am
Readerad wrote: January 28th, 2024, 7:52 pm I re-uploaded the preface with the necessary corrections identified by my PL.

Forgive me. I just touched up the file and uploaded it again. Sorry; I know this is the fourth time I've uploaded my section. The latest version should be perfect.

Hi Readerad-
Your beginning and end silences are correct, and the MS (manuscript) change has been made. However, it still says "MSS" at 4:17. Go in and catch that one and you'll be good to go.

Well I did a whole new recording so that's why it sounds seamless lol. I need to work on my editing skills.
vviera

Post by vviera »

Readerad wrote: January 29th, 2024, 9:22 am
vviera wrote: January 29th, 2024, 6:34 am

Hi Readerad-

Well I did a whole new recording so that's why it sounds seamless lol. I need to work on my editing skills.
Um...never do that. Since you did a whole new recording, the entire thing must be PLed again - and there might possibly be different errors that you have to fix.

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

progressingamerica wrote: December 9th, 2023, 8:58 pm
Readerad wrote: December 9th, 2023, 8:49 am Hi, I'd like to volunteer for the preface. This will be my first Librivox recording. If all goes well, I'll do chapter one as well.
Welcome to Librivox. I'll get the preface assigned to you. Thanks.
Hello, progressing. Readerad completed rerecorded the preface. Could you please reset it to Ready for PL? And someone else needs to do the PL on it. I had a little extra time when I took these on, but I'm far behind on PL right now and don't have time to redo.

Cheers, VERLA
progressingamerica

Post by progressingamerica »

vviera wrote: January 29th, 2024, 10:35 am
progressingamerica wrote: December 9th, 2023, 8:58 pm
Readerad wrote: December 9th, 2023, 8:49 am Hi, I'd like to volunteer for the preface. This will be my first Librivox recording. If all goes well, I'll do chapter one as well.
Welcome to Librivox. I'll get the preface assigned to you. Thanks.
Hello, progressing. Readerad completed rerecorded the preface. Could you please reset it to Ready for PL? And someone else needs to do the PL on it. I had a little extra time when I took these on, but I'm far behind on PL right now and don't have time to redo.
I have reset it as requested. Thank you for the PL you completed as you were able. I think AmmaB wants to do a little PL so we can keep this going. :clap:
progressingamerica

Readerad wrote: January 28th, 2024, 8:05 pm Forgive me. I just touched up the file and uploaded it again. Sorry; I know this is the fourth time I've uploaded my section. The latest version should be perfect.
For what its worth, your contributions do mean a lot so thank you. The recording is the fun part, the editing is the tedious part.
progressingamerica

AmmaB wrote: January 29th, 2024, 5:57 am Sorry, please could someone clarify what you want people to do with the footnotes on this book. Section 2 should end with 2 footnotes from paragraph 1 on page 16 but these haven't yet been included. I assumed they were to be ignored but then I just saw the note in the magic window that says "including footnote" for section 2. Is there a standard LV way of dealing with footnotes?
Thanks
Generally speaking it's missing content and it should probably be addressed and included. Some footnotes give a great deal of information or a pertinent fact, or even a specific page/paragraph number of a reference. Those are all pretty important.

However if it ultimately gets left out this one in particular does not mean a whole lot. The footnote reads "MS, Narrative sent to Mr. Wirt." which is a bit of a repeat of how the narrative is introduced by Colonel Meredith. There's a small bit of a judgement call here.
tac107

Post by tac107 »

AmmaB wrote: January 29th, 2024, 6:26 am
Notwithstanding my query about footnotes (above), I have PLd section 3. Tatiana could you check there is a full 5 seconds of silence at the end please, I think it is a little short. Everything else is OK, so I will do a final PL when you reupload it.
It is 5. I use the "generate silence" tool set at 5 seconds.
If she's passin' back this way
I'm not that hard to find
Tell her she can look me up
If she's got the time

Tatiana
tac107

Post by tac107 »

progressingamerica wrote: January 29th, 2024, 5:53 pm
AmmaB wrote: January 29th, 2024, 5:57 am Sorry, please could someone clarify what you want people to do with the footnotes on this book. Section 2 should end with 2 footnotes from paragraph 1 on page 16 but these haven't yet been included. I assumed they were to be ignored but then I just saw the note in the magic window that says "including footnote" for section 2. Is there a standard LV way of dealing with footnotes?
Thanks
Generally speaking it's missing content and it should probably be addressed and included. Some footnotes give a great deal of information or a pertinent fact, or even a specific page/paragraph number of a reference. Those are all pretty important.

However if it ultimately gets left out this one in particular does not mean a whole lot. The footnote reads "MS, Narrative sent to Mr. Wirt." which is a bit of a repeat of how the narrative is introduced by Colonel Meredith. There's a small bit of a judgement call here.
I can fix it if you would like, since it did say specifically to include that footnote, but when reading it I didn't think it added anything more meaningful than any other footnote and the attribution was in the text.
If she's got the time

Tatiana
Readerad

Post by Readerad »

progressingamerica wrote: January 29th, 2024, 5:45 pm
Readerad wrote: January 28th, 2024, 8:05 pm Forgive me. I just touched up the file and uploaded it again. Sorry; I know this is the fourth time I've uploaded my section. The latest version should be perfect.
For what its worth, your contributions do mean a lot so thank you. The recording is the fun part, the editing is the tedious part.
Sorry to you and vviera. I didn't know how to make edits so my method was to do about a million attempts until I got through it without any slips or stutters. Needless to say it wasn't fun. I realize now that editing skills are a necessity. I will figure that out and make this right. As I mentioned, this is my first librivox recording; after this painful learning curve I will be able to contribute much more efficiently.
Readerad

Post by Readerad »

Preface completed with all the changes identified by vviera.

progressingamerica

Readerad wrote: January 29th, 2024, 8:50 pm
progressingamerica wrote: January 29th, 2024, 5:45 pm
Sorry to you and vviera. I didn't know how to make edits so my method was to do about a million attempts until I got through it without any slips or stutters. Needless to say it wasn't fun. I realize now that editing skills are a necessity. I will figure that out and make this right. As I mentioned, this is my first librivox recording; after this painful learning curve I will be able to contribute much more efficiently.
If I can be of any assistance, let me know. Additionally, there is a sub-forum for editing, perhaps asking for tips within a group of editors can short-circuit your woes. Or the general help sub-forum.

viewforum.php?f=61
viewforum.php?f=23

We can always use more of those who are good at recording and willing to stay around for a while, and hopefully books such as this one are of interest to you.
progressingamerica

tac107 wrote: January 29th, 2024, 8:08 pm
Thanks

I can fix it if you would like, since it did say specifically to include that footnote, but when reading it I didn't think it added anything more meaningful than any other footnote and the attribution was in the text.
I would lean on the side of it should be included. Mainly for consistency. If you've got footnote 1, why not 2 - and for other chapters that may come along with other footnotes. Plus it is really small like 8 words.
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

tac107

Post by tac107 »

progressingamerica wrote: January 30th, 2024, 10:29 pm
tac107 wrote: January 29th, 2024, 8:08 pm

I would lean on the side of it should be included. Mainly for consistency. If you've got footnote 1, why not 2 - and for other chapters that may come along with other footnotes. Plus it is really small like 8 words.
OK, my bad. I was not reading the other footnotes so I would have to go back and add them to both files - is that what you want me to do for consistency?
If she's got the time

Tatiana