COMPLETE: Memoirs of the Lady Hester Stanhope Vol I -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Memoirs of the Lady Hester Stanhope, Vol I, edited by Charles Lewis Meryon (1783 - 1877)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/memoirs-of-the-lady-hester-stanhope-vol-i-by-charles-lewis-meryon/

Memoirs of the Lady Hester Stanhope, as related by herself in Conversations with her Physician, comprising her opinions and anecdotes of some of the most remarkable persons of her time, Vol I of III. Dr. Meryon was in 1810 taken on by the eccentric Lady Hester as her medical attendant, on a voyage to Sicily and the Near East. He was with her during her seven years' wanderings and saw her finally settled on Mount Lebanon. Lady Hester would talk to Meryon for hours on end into the night. (Summary by Wikipedia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/72165

Target completion date: 2024-01-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography; *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography/Memoirs; *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Memoirs of the Lady Hester Stanhope, Vol I. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Memoirs of the Lady Hester Stanhope, Vol I, edited by Charles Lewis Meryon. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Memoirs of the Lady Hester Stanhope, Vol I, edited by Charles Lewis Meryon. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Memoirs of the Lady Hester Stanhope, Vol I, edited by Charles Lewis Meryon."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: memoirsoftheladyhesterstanhopevoli_##_meryon_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. memoirsoftheladyhesterstanhopevoli_01_meryon_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

DPL checking in :)

~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Finally getting started on this. Sections 0 - 2 are ready.

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas. It was crazy warm here for upstate NY - all the kiddos were playing outside with light coats on. It's back in the 50's again today!

I think this will be quite an interesting read - Hester sure is eccentric, and from a bit that I've read about this book, her doctor was criticized for publishing these letters after her death.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

These are PL OK, but should probably have a leading zero in the file names. I'm sure Jo can take care of these, but something to keep in mind for the rest.

Warm California Christmas, but a lot of sick people - son-in-law laid really low, and one grand daughter here, and my daughter earlier and now I'm out of it with a cold - very unusual for me. But, my grandson in New Hampshire had a bad pain in his side Christmas Eve, and so spent the night in one hospital, then an ambulance ride to another one where he had an appendectomy on Christmas Day! He's a trooper and is bouncing back quickly. Chief complaint is that it's hard to tie his shoes.

~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Sorry about the incorrect file format. Jo, let me know if you need me to re-do them.

Larry, hope everyone is feeling better. Usually Christmas day is when germs get spread, and the following week is when the coughing and sneezing begin. Sounds like you had the opposite! These colds sure hang on for a while; my voice is still not 100% but getting there.

Jo and Larry - hope you all have a Happy New Year🎆 and that wonderful things are in store for 2024.
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Sections 3 and 4 now ready
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

PhyllisV wrote: January 1st, 2024, 12:32 pm Sections 3 and 4 now ready
Both are PL OK

The New Year is off to a good start I believe!
And, I think most of us are well.

May 2024 be full of blessings!

~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Thanks Larry - I wish the same for you and your family!!

I have uploaded 5 and 6, but I have a question I'd like your feedback on. When I originally browsed through the book, I had thought it consisted mainly of Lady Hester Stanhope's letters with also some of Meryon's comments and stories. I didn't realize that many of Meryon's stories (at least so far) consist of relating conversations LHS had with him, where he quotes her. I chose not to read it in LHS's 'voice', but I'm now wondering if I should at least read it with the "quote" and "end quote" to distinguish when he resumes the narration. Unless you feel that it's clear when she's no longer being quoted. Can you let me know your thoughts? I'll hold off reading any more sections for now. Thanks for your help.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Both PL OK

I think the way you are reading this is quite fine. I prefer just a clean narrative without quote-unquote which seem to me more appropriate in other settings. Reading with an altered voice can be effective if done well and consistently, but I don't think is necessary here. I've heard various attempts at this and usually it falls short, and I still think that just a straight reading, with appropriate intonations, pauses, etc. is enough to convey the story and is much easier to listen to. This is just one person's opinion, but there you have it. :wink:

~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Thanks Larry. I almost wish now that I didn't record this with such a 'gruff' voice. But I was beginning to think I'd never get my voice back again after that bout with laryngitis and bronchitis. Oh well, hopefully it won't be annoying to the listener.

I've uploaded sections 7-9. With the windstorms we've been having, the last section is a bit choppy as I had to keep editing out the sounds of the gusts. This has been going on since Friday and I'm not sure when things will die down - they keep extending the wind warnings. At least we aren't in Buffalo and getting loads of snow along with it.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Really, they all sound fine!
And, good job on editing out the elements.
We're still in the RV and wind and rain make it impossible to record sometimes.

Anyway, these are all PL OK. What a tyrant!

~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Getting socked with snow, so this is a perfect time to do some recording. 3 sections more for you - 10-12. And oh my - that cure for a sore throat? Reminds me of the saying "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger". :lol:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

It rained Saturday night here, and the Sunday morning greeting at church was, "Thank you for braving the elements!" These southern California people! :roll: More days of rain, but it will bey sunny and in the 70s by next weekend.

Section 10 PL OK

~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Found some more listening time, so Sections 11 and 12 are also marked PL OK

~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

2 more ready; 13 and 14. 15 is going to have some French - yikes! It may take a while for that section.