SOLO Beware, The Usurpers! by Robert W. Krepps - brrot

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
yourfriendadam

Post by yourfriendadam »

Beware, The Usurpers!, by Robert W. Krepps (1919 - 1980)

Volunteers outside the USA: Robert W. Krepps died in 1980. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
A sci-fi horror tale in which alien monsters skulk about in human form! William Chester and his comrades find themselves alone in being able to recognize this malevolence. Discover what happens when a handful of brave people pit their forces against the might of Earth's secret masters and the governments they control! You will find romance, action, and daring speculation in this lost classic. (Summary by Adam Benckeser)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/65437

Target completion date: 2024-03-09

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: sci-fi, aliens, rebellion

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Beware, The Usurpers!. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Beware, The Usurpers!, by Robert W. Krepps. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Beware, The Usurpers!, by Robert W. Krepps. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Beware, The Usurpers!, by Robert W. Krepps."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: bewaretheusurpers_##_krepps_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. bewaretheusurpers_01_krepps_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: brownrottger

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
yourfriendadam

Post by yourfriendadam »

Christine offered to MC this one for me :)

And this being my first solo, I tried to give it a pretty out there target date, wasn't sure what is normally considered appropriate. But will do my best to hit before that!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi, I will MC and DPL this with you. I will be right back with your MW. As Soloist, you are also BC. To get started you will need to do the below steps.

Accessing the System – First Time Login

Use this Link to go the main login screen: http://librivox.org/workflow
Click on Login (for BCs & MCs)
Enter your forum username.
Click “Forgot Password” (Note: Your forum password will not work here!!)
You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. Click the link and enter a password and submit the form.
Go back to the main login screen and use the new password you entered above to log in to the system.

When you upload a chapter, click on "BC Admin" below the MW. Then, in the Section Compiler, put the file duration (mm:ss) in the Notes field and the uploaded URL into the Listen URL field, and mark it from Assigned to Ready for PL.

Best,
Christine
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Let me know here when you have done the above and I will move us to Going Solo.
yourfriendadam

Post by yourfriendadam »

brownrottger wrote: November 24th, 2023, 9:17 pm Let me know here when you have done the above and I will move us to Going Solo.
Alright, I did the sign-up process for BC! Thanks Christine! Sorry if I missed that instruction somewhere.
yourfriendadam

Post by yourfriendadam »

Monthly update here! Currently going through and marking up the book. The characters are English and the book is in first person. Actively debating myself on whether I should approximate the accent for the entire thing or just the words spoken out loud.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

yourfriendadam wrote: December 15th, 2023, 12:02 pm Monthly update here! Currently going through and marking up the book. The characters are English and the book is in first person. Actively debating myself on whether I should approximate the accent for the entire thing or just the words spoken out loud.
Great! Really looking forward to listening. You always do such a great job!
yourfriendadam

Post by yourfriendadam »

Routine update!

With the holidays, sickness, and various other things behind me, I have been off work this week and I'm spending tomorrow as if narrating is my full-time job, which I'm excited about. I hope to get a good amount of recording done tomorrow though I still have some marking up of the book to do. But progress should speed up from here, I hope!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

yourfriendadam wrote: January 17th, 2024, 4:56 pm Routine update!

With the holidays, sickness, and various other things behind me, I have been off work this week and I'm spending tomorrow as if narrating is my full-time job, which I'm excited about. I hope to get a good amount of recording done tomorrow though I still have some marking up of the book to do. But progress should speed up from here, I hope!
Glad you're feeling better! No worries about timing.
yourfriendadam

Post by yourfriendadam »

Planning on finishing recording this week and getting into editing it all! In all my previous recordings, it's been a pain-staking process because I've manually edited every breath because I fear my breath control is not good. So it may take a bit, but we'll get there!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

yourfriendadam wrote: February 13th, 2024, 8:45 am Planning on finishing recording this week and getting into editing it all! In all my previous recordings, it's been a pain-staking process because I've manually edited every breath because I fear my breath control is not good. So it may take a bit, but we'll get there!
I etit my breathing alot too. No worries about time whatsoever!
yourfriendadam

Post by yourfriendadam »

Checking in to say I was overzealous in my previous message, but I just finished recording everything! Will be working on editing throughout the month (and very possibly/likely into next) and will upload them as I complete!

Thanks Christine!

I tried to keep the voices as consistent as possible but it may not always have worked out :lol: but overall I'm pretty pleased with how it went!

On to editing!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

yourfriendadam wrote: March 8th, 2024, 2:57 pm Checking in to say I was overzealous in my previous message, but I just finished recording everything! Will be working on editing throughout the month (and very possibly/likely into next) and will upload them as I complete!

Thanks Christine!

I tried to keep the voices as consistent as possible but it may not always have worked out :lol: but overall I'm pretty pleased with how it went!

On to editing!
Excellent! Thanks for checking in!
yourfriendadam

Post by yourfriendadam »

Okay, I started editing earlier this week and am a little over halfway done with the first section. Hoping to wrap it up and have it uploaded before Easter and keep going from there!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Great!