[SOLO]In the land of the lion and sun, or modern Persia by C. J. Wills - kit

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

In the land of the lion and sun, or modern Persia. Being experiences of life in Persia from 1866 to 1881, by Charles James Wills (1842 - 1912)
Account of the travels by an English Doctor to, and throughout, Iran (Persia) in the 1800s (Summary by )
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/72128

Target completion date: 2024-02-28

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of In the land of the lion and sun, or modern Persia.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"In the land of the lion and sun, or modern Persia. Being experiences of life in Persia from 1866 to 1881, by Charles James Wills.
Section Title." (see MW for full title)
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of In the land of the lion and sun, or modern Persia, by Charles James Wills.
This LibriVox recording is in the public domain."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Section Title." (see MW for full title)
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of In the land of the lion and sun, or modern Persia. Being experiences of life in Persia from 1866 to 1881, by Charles James Wills."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: inthelandofthelionandsun_##_wills_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. inthelandofthelionandsun_01_wills_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
When the power of Love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. Jimi Hendrix
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

You'll need to fill out the template here:
https://librivox.org/add_project

and post the result in this thread to get this started.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hello, and welcome back to LV after a hiatus it seems. I remember we were working together on the Joss a few years ago. 8-)

I copied your template into the first post, which is where it belongs and deleted your second post.

Interesting book choice. I can MC this and your Magic Window will be up soon. Stay tuned.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right, your MW is up and ready for you. As soloist you are also the Book Coordinator of your project, so you have access to the MW by clicking on the BC/Admin link underneath. In case it won't accept your log-in, try "forgot password" and you will receive an email to make a new password for your MW.

I filled in a couple of sections to show you a bit what it could look like and let you do the rest. In case you want to include the preface and appendices as well, we probably need more sections, but you can add sections if needed.

I would suggest you read the intro as "section xy", (instead of "chapter") so in case a chapter is too long and needs to be split, you can keep the numerical continuity nevertheless and it will look cleaner that way. The chapter number can be read in the second part of the intro, as part of the title, as you can see in the MW in my examples.

You can decide whether you want to include the extensive footnotes or not, in case you find them interesting or important to the understanding of the text. Footnotes usually are read at the place in the text where they belong, reading: "Footnote: [text] - End of Footnote".

I also abbreviated the filename quite a bit :shock: much more manageable this way. ;)

Assuming you have not yet a DPL on the hook, I inserted a ~ in the project title, to attract an interested DPLer. We'll wait in the launchpad for a few days to see if we can find one.

That is it for the moment, I let you get started, and if there are any questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Sonia
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hi! Willing to PL if still needed :)
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Cbteddy wrote: November 21st, 2023, 3:24 pmHi! Willing to PL if still needed :)
hey Claire, thanks for your commitment. I now gave you access as DPL.

The team is complete then, I'll just wait for our soloist to acknowledge and then we move to Going Solo.

Sonia
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

Hi Sonia,

Well - you have a good memory!!!
Yes, it's been a while - been busy with audio books, but now have a little time of 'non-activity' so....here I am ;)

Right - some comments/questions - since this is my first "solo", please have pity on me.....and patience :hmm:

I listed 38 sections as I thought I'd include the "Preface" and 2 of the Appendices - not the ones with just tables.
The footnotes I feel are not necessary to be included, but that's just my opinion! If you feel otherwise, I take your advice ;)
Re. the length of chapters and whether they should be split - what is the general policy at Librivox? When I produce audiobooks, I generally only split chapters if they are more than 1 hour long.
I note a reference in the guidelines of "40 minutes" - is that how I should work here as well?

I guess that's it for now - probably something else will arise at some point!!!

Oh, and FYI, I now use my middle name "Saethon" for all my audiobook work (my website too) - can I go with that here also?

Best,
david
When the power of Love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. Jimi Hendrix
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

zaanta wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 1:32 amThe footnotes I feel are not necessary to be included, but that's just my opinion! If you feel otherwise, I take your advice ;)
it's your solo, you can decide. I guess I have a tendency to include footnotes if they are a big text with interesting stuff, but it's not compulsory and can also disrupt the text if it's rambling on for too long. You can also decide case by case, maybe one footnote you feel is necessary for the understanding, and others not. As long as you mark it up by "Footnote / End of Footnote", it's acceptable.
Re. the length of chapters and whether they should be split - what is the general policy at Librivox? When I produce audiobooks, I generally only split chapters if they are more than 1 hour long.
I note a reference in the guidelines of "40 minutes" - is that how I should work here as well?
we have a maximum length of 74 minutes for one section, more than that, we recommend dividing them. I would suggest, record each chapter in one section, and in the end, when it goes over 74 minutes, find a good spot, somewhere near the middle and where a natural break in the flow of the text/topic is happening. Then you only have to adjust the intro/outro. When/If that happens, you can tell me again and we figure it out then.
Oh, and FYI, I now use my middle name "Saethon" for all my audiobook work (my website too) - can I go with that here also?
you mean changing your reader name ? Yes that is possible, I'll do it right away. Better like this ? https://librivox.org/reader/8208

Ok, moving to Going Solo then. Let me know if the MW access works. Once the section titles are all in, the only thing you need to do is, paste the filelink in the URL column, toggle the Status to Ready for PL and write up the length of the file in the Notes section. And please also post in this thread if there is new material, because then our DPL Claire and I, we get notified that something new is happening. :)

Thanks

Sonia
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

Great - got it! All very clear, thank you.

Meanwhile, I tried logging in to the BC/Admin link and, yes, it didn't like my login so I clicked the "forgot password" as you suggested and, as of now have had no email?
I checked my details and the email address in my profile is correct - does it take a while, you think?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

zaanta wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 2:03 amMeanwhile, I tried logging in to the BC/Admin link and, yes, it didn't like my login so I clicked the "forgot password" as you suggested and, as of now have had no email?
I checked my details and the email address in my profile is correct - does it take a while, you think?
hmm it shouldn't take too long though. :hmm: So the email in our files is still your current one ? Let me know if it doesn't pop in soon, and I'll check backstage...

Sonia
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

Yup!....and I get notifications whenever someone posts on my thread so must be good???
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

zaanta wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 2:07 amYup!....and I get notifications whenever someone posts on my thread so must be good???
yes definitely. I'll go and check.

BTW you mentioned a website...I can put it on your reader page if you wish, there is a slot for that as well.

Sonia
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

zaanta wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 2:09 amwww.saethon.com :clap:
:shock: wow just checked, you have been BUSY !!! I marvel that you can find the time to help our project along with all those other activities.

It's on your reader page now :) https://librivox.org/reader/8208

Sonia
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

Still no email re password for BCAdmin :hmm: