[SOLO]In the land of the lion and sun, or modern Persia by C. J. Wills - kit

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

zaanta wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 3:22 am Still no email re password for BCAdmin :hmm:
I wrote you a PM

Sonia
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

Right......so.....all chapters are listed (in lower case!!!) and I've uploaded the 1st. "section", i.e. "Preface".
Let's see if I've done everything right - thus far :wink:

Just so you (& prooflistener/s) are aware, I've 'deviated' somewhat from the text here and there. E.g. added "listener" and "in the printed version"
It's something I do often with audiobooks where there are references to something/s that only occur in the printed versions.
For 99% of the time I adhere strictly to the original written text - hope that's OK with LibriVox????
When the power of Love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. Jimi Hendrix
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

zaanta wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 7:00 amJust so you (& prooflistener/s) are aware, I've 'deviated' somewhat from the text here and there. E.g. added "listener" and "in the printed version"
It's something I do often with audiobooks where there are references to something/s that only occur in the printed versions.
For 99% of the time I adhere strictly to the original written text - hope that's OK with LibriVox????
actually since we need to keep to the public domain version, we have the policy "don't add to the text, read as the author wrote". So no personal comments added, we have to stick to the text. I'm not sure what exactly you changed and why you think it is necessary ? :hmm: can you give me the entire sentence as example maybe ?

If you need to insert personal comments, you can do so in the written summary, but not in the audio.

Claire will let you know where the deviations are too significant and we need to stick closer to the text.

Sorry...LV is stricter here since we need to stick to PD texts. That is why modernized versions are not allowed either because they are still under copyright.

Sonia
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

Ooookaaay....Didn't realise that.

Well, 2 examples:

1. ".....but it will convey to the ordinary reader the local pronunciation of the colloquial;" I added "or listener" after "reader"

2. "To avoid continual explanation, I have added a Glossary, with a correct transliteration." I added "in the printed version" after "explanation", since the Glossary wil not be included in my reading.

Of course, if I must not deviate from the actual original text, I shall not :)
When the power of Love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. Jimi Hendrix
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

zaanta wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 9:00 am Ooookaaay....Didn't realise that.

Well, 2 examples:

1. ".....but it will convey to the ordinary reader the local pronunciation of the colloquial;" I added "or listener" after "reader"

2. "To avoid continual explanation, I have added a Glossary, with a correct transliteration." I added "in the printed version" after "explanation", since the Glossary wil not be included in my reading.

Of course, if I must not deviate from the actual original text, I shall not :)
ok I see your examples, and no, we should read this as written

Imagine Jane Eyre's famous words "Reader I married him !" I don't think this will be narrated by anyone as "Listener I married him", even on professional audiobooks. People still realize you are narrating a book, so this is really not needed to change.

Sonia
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

OK......still learning :lol:
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

Just uploaded "Section 1" - "Preface".

I hope I did everything right? (With the Intro/Outro in particular!)
And conformed to LV's criteria :wink:

T'would be great if you could, please, confirm that all is OK so I may continue.

Don't want to go on if I'm not doing things right!!!

Thanks,
david
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

zaanta wrote: November 23rd, 2023, 2:35 amJust uploaded "Section 1" - "Preface".
Claire will give you more extensive feedback once she has the time to PL your section in detail, but I had a listen to the intro and outro to check what you did there.

So far as I can tell, the wording is exact. You can actually read the intro off the first post, where I detailed it for you. The only thing I did differently in my wording was that you wouldn't have to read the subtitle in the first part, because the intro is already long enough :lol: See the example in your first post: I would only say the lengthy subtitle in the second part of the intro, along with the author's name.

As you pass on to section 2, be aware that in a solo you can read the "shortened intro", see example 2 in the first post. Also there, I would not recommend reading the subtitle, as it's getting very long otherwise. The only two moments where I would include it, is once in the first section, in the second part of the intro, and once in the final section, in the end of book disclaimer. I think that is enough to make the reader aware of the entire title of the book.

Other than that, Claire will tell you the rest. As for technical settings, do you have the Checker ? It will check your finished mp3 files and tell you all that is wrong, bitrate, stereo, volume, background noise: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker a very handy tool. 8-)

Ah and one final thing, concerning the MW update: just toggle the final column, status, to Ready for PL ;) Claire will then toggle it to PL ok or See PL notes, depending on her results.

Sonia
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

OK - does that mean I should re-do the Intro for "Preface"?

And thanks for the "Checker" - should keep me straight from now on!!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

zaanta wrote: November 23rd, 2023, 3:57 amOK - does that mean I should re-do the Intro for "Preface"?
definitely not right away, let's wait what else Claire may have to say then you can correct it all together.

If nothing else is wrong, I guess it doesn't hurt if you say the full thing in the 1st section and in the end of book disclaimer. But I definitely would keep to the short intro from Section 2 onwards ;)

Sonia
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

zaanta wrote: November 23rd, 2023, 2:35 am Just uploaded "Section 1" - "Preface".

And conformed to LV's criteria :wink:

T'would be great if you could, please, confirm that all is OK so I may continue.

Don't want to go on if I'm not doing things right!!!

Thanks,
david
Hi David,

You have an very enjoyable reading voice. I'm already excited to see what else this book delves into!

There are no corrections needed for the actual reading (I'm ok with the longer title for the preface, but I do agree with Sonia's recommendation to use the shorter intro for future chapters).

There are a few technical items that need to be fixed though. Please make sure recordings are at 128kb constant bit rate. Right now this file is at 133 and varying. If you're recording in Audacity, it's a setting that only needs to be applied once, and you won't have to worry about it again.

Once you have corrected the bit rate, please re upload and confirm it's the same recording with the corrected bit rate, and I will mark PL ok.

Thanks,
Claire
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

Aah.....I knew I wouldn 't get it all first time :roll:
I'll get that fixed and post here when it's done
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

OK, let's see if that works...........please check it now
zaanta

Post by zaanta »

Hi all! Chapter 1 is up - hope it's good??? Technically as well :wink:
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! I'll review these chapters by this evening and share any feedback.

Thanks,
Claire
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer