Audacity upgrade

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
LeeSalter

Post by LeeSalter »

Last weekend I installed a suggested upgrade from Audacity. Once installed I was no longer able to export as an mp3. I had to reinstall an older version to restore that function. The Upgrade was only applicable to those recording music and added nothing useful for those of us doing only voice recording.

I just wanted to alert everyone to what I experienced.
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

LeeSalter wrote: November 16th, 2023, 6:04 pm Last weekend I installed a suggested upgrade from Audacity. Once installed I was no longer able to export as an mp3. I had to reinstall an older version to restore that function. The Upgrade was only applicable to those recording music and added nothing useful for those of us doing only voice recording.

I just wanted to alert everyone to what I experienced.
Thank you! I was no longer able to export as an mp3 from the latest (3.4.1) Linux version of Audacity. I thought it was a bug specific to that release but it seems it is a feature? I installed an older version of Audacity and marked it 'protected'.

Update: On the Audacity Help Forum I see that an Audacity Team Member has posted something applicable to my distro:
RPM-based distros can’t find the libraries necessary for importing and exporting in 3.4.1. This should be fixed in 3.4.2.

Barbara
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

Exporting to mp3 is still working fine in 3.4.1 (for me anyway). What has changed is the menu options to get there.

File/Export audio brings up a new window. The third box is labelled Format and is a dropdown list with a wider range of options than there were in previous versions. Having selected mp3 in that dropdown the first time, Audacity has remembered my choice for every file since. As a keyboard user I just have to remember that the key sequence to export has changed. The number of times I've saved a file called "3" is getting silly.
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

3.4.2 (a "hotfix release") launched yesterday, and claims to have made the following fixes:

#5568 Fix a crash when opening projects with zero-length clips.
#5032 When exporting a file, the sample rate of the tracks is now considered, and last-used sample rate is remembered.
#5555 Copy-pasting behavior now pastes into clips again by default. This can be changed via Preferences -> Track Behavior -> Always paste audio as new clips.
#5549 Mix and render now also resets the gain for the resulting track.
#5571 Fix clips shifting to the right when effects are applied to them.
#5106 Fix clicks occurring when overdubbing a project with muted tracks.
#5533 Fix files being exported without a file extension in rare cases.
#5539 Show all sample rates possible for MP2 exports.
#5518 Fix pasting into labels.
#5543 Fix a crash when clearing loops.
#5529 Fix copying when "select all audio if selection required" is enabled.
#5598 #5552 Fix GTK detection and compilation for wxWidgets 3.2.4.
#5551 Fix Nyquist-related crashes.
#5604 Fix EQs in macros.
#5511 Fix a crash when closing Audacity.
#5476 Fix builds on arm64/armhf.
#5631 Use dladdr when possible to setup modules paths

For more information, see https://support.audacityteam.org/additional-resources/changelog/audacity-3.4.2

I haven't downloaded it yet, but probably will sometime this week. 3.4.1 seems to be behaving for me so far.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I just installed 3.4.2, and two of the issues I had with 3.4.1 (not being able to noise reduce any inserts recorded on a separate track before pasting them into the main track, and having the track split automatically when I paste in any insert), have now been fixed!

So now I'll find out if there are any new issues...

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)